Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oddflux

I hate windows.

137 posts in this topic

Hmmm, everyone seems to have an opinion. Well here's mine.

Personally i dont dislike Windows as an OS. It works fine and most of the time and when friends/family force me to help them fix their computer it's usually from user error where install every bit of crap that comes on the front of a magazine. Before i switched to Linux i was running XP and as far as i could tell i never got infected by anything.

I DO dislike M$ tho. It's their right to create a closed source OS but forcing every consumer to by a computer with windows pre-installed is unacceptable. I bought a laptop for my gf for xmas and every one i looked at came with Vista pre-installed and i will never support a company which does this. Ever. Not to mention their other questionable business practices.

I agree with that in only some sense. I don't like OS's just being shoved involuntarily in my face after purchasing a new computer. But Microsoft owns the market first of all, and 98% who walk into a local Best Buy has probably not even heard of Linux/Unix/BSD Software to begin with.

To the corporate world it's all about Target Audience. And in there eyes Linux isn't gonna put money in their account. I am not trying to pick a fight but this is how the computer world currently is. XP is cool, but I hate Vista oh so much! :P

Agreed but you could add to this. Why do you think microsofts products are commonly said to have security flaws.... Most likely because the majority of people use them/try to exploit them... I will say though, windows seems to have a lot of them... but that is where common sense, and a virus scanner come in handy. :D

Hmmm, everyone seems to have an opinion. Well here's mine.

Personally i dont dislike Windows as an OS. It works fine and most of the time and when friends/family force me to help them fix their computer it's usually from user error where install every bit of crap that comes on the front of a magazine. Before i switched to Linux i was running XP and as far as i could tell i never got infected by anything.

I DO dislike M$ tho. It's their right to create a closed source OS but forcing every consumer to by a computer with windows pre-installed is unacceptable. I bought a laptop for my gf for xmas and every one i looked at came with Vista pre-installed and i will never support a company which does this. Ever. Not to mention their other questionable business practices.

I agree with that in only some sense. I don't like OS's just being shoved involuntarily in my face after purchasing a new computer. But Microsoft owns the market first of all, and 98% who walk into a local Best Buy has probably not even heard of Linux/Unix/BSD Software to begin with.

To the corporate world it's all about Target Audience. And in there eyes Linux isn't gonna put money in their account. I am not trying to pick a fight but this is how the computer world currently is. XP is cool, but I hate Vista oh so much! :P

Agreed but you could add to this. Why do you think microsofts products are commonly said to have security flaws.... Most likely because the majority of people use them/try to exploit them... I will say though, windows seems to have a lot of them... but that is where common sense, and a virus scanner come in handy. :D

Yeah my point exactly. I totally agree with you! But honestly I think every operating system is useful in its own way. And the driver of the car bears more responsibility than the car its self. :D

Windows is only as awesome as the user.

Too awesome and it sucks.

Not enough awesome and you suck.

Middle Range awesome and you both suck.

What kind of awesome are you? :P

Edited by R4p1d

Here's how I see it. Almost all windows users will never ever "need" linux for anything at all, but almost all linux or other OS users will certainly "need" windows for something sometime. And I'm sure someone is gonna blab on about how M$ has the market locked down, and they're evil corp forcing this and forcing that blah blah blah. That dosnt change the fact that windows is a great operating system that most of the population can use. they can go over to any other persons house and know how to use their computer, or go to work and know where everything will be because theyre all windows. they can go buy a new piece of hardware and they dont have to compile drivers and and dick around with config files to get some shit to work. it will come with a handy little disk that once run will certainly find and install their hardware for them. this may not make sense to all of you linux weenies who live in the command line and use 15 year old machines but for the rest of the population it makes perfect sense. most of the people i always see running around screaming "OPEN SOURCE OPEN SOURCE OPEN SOURCE OPEN SOURCE" probably have no idea what to do with the source code in the first place. if youre so about open source then make some revolutionary open source programs your self on windows. oh well i suppose some people will never get it.

Here's how I see it. Almost all windows users will never ever "need" linux for anything at all, but almost all linux or other OS users will certainly "need" windows for something sometime. And I'm sure someone is gonna blab on about how M$ has the market locked down, and they're evil corp forcing this and forcing that blah blah blah. That dosnt change the fact that windows is a great operating system that most of the population can use. they can go over to any other persons house and know how to use their computer, or go to work and know where everything will be because theyre all windows. they can go buy a new piece of hardware and they dont have to compile drivers and and dick around with config files to get some shit to work. it will come with a handy little disk that once run will certainly find and install their hardware for them. this may not make sense to all of you linux weenies who live in the command line and use 15 year old machines but for the rest of the population it makes perfect sense. most of the people i always see running around screaming "OPEN SOURCE OPEN SOURCE OPEN SOURCE OPEN SOURCE" probably have no idea what to do with the source code in the first place. if youre so about open source then make some revolutionary open source programs your self on windows. oh well i suppose some people will never get it.

Have you used Linux or a computer before? Most users dont "need" Linux but IMO most users will do better with it. They also dont "need" windows most of the time. The only problem with Linux atm is the non standardness that comes will it. E.g. even though fedora and Ubuntu both use Gnome they both work a bit differently, not to mention all the Window Managers and distros available . Once this is taken care of there will be a huge advantage of using Linux over windows. More users mean more participation from hardware vendors which means less compiling drivers and playing with config files. In fact i've had more problems with windows drivers than with Linux ones. Most hardware in Linux works out the box whereas Windows will have me hunting over the Internet for hours before i can find the right drivers, especially if it's an older, more obscure piece of hardware. Under Linux (specifaclly fedora or ubuntu) I dont need to configure any hardware at all.

More users running Linux will mean more overall security and hopefully it will have users thinking about what they install and the advantages of FOSS. All most users want from a computer is familiarity and the user of the Internet and multimedia. Linux can give them this and lots more.

When you boil it down, no one _needs_ a computer. People only _want_ computers. So if you don't need a computer, but want a computer then it should do what you want, and not what you need? -ah.. Now I understand microsoft!

Operating systems are only a matter of preference. Windows and Linux both require a lot of tweaking to get to work in any reasonable way, but Linux is probably the most obviously inferior system. Mac OS, which has it's own limitations, provides the greatest amount of convenience and generally better tools than those available in Linux (but not always better than Windows), but is a lot more expensive. It shouldn't matter which system you work on, so long as your work gets done.

Both have there ups and downs. When it really comes down to it though basically every OS needs to be configured securely. With default settings on any of wide variety of OS your bound to get owned!

And on second thought, has anybody seen the new Internet Explorer security feature. It's horrible! I just installed Windows Server 2008 on a spare PC of mine and I had a tough time even downloading Firefox. Had to use a external HD to transfer the Setup.exe file. :omfg:

Edited by phasma

Most users cant understand *nix so they windows or mac is a great option for them.. would you want to teach your grandparents debian o.O

I'd tell them to ask for help in the #debian irc channel.

I would be using linux, but it dosnt run Adobe software well enough so it conflicts with my job. I am a web designer so im a dirty mac user.

I run Photoshop/ImageReady CS2, Illustrator CS, and Flash 8 on Linux (Kubuntu 8.10 "Ibex"), using Wine (v.1.1.9 at the moment). All those apps run fine with no problems except that a few of the app-specific keyboard shortcuts don't work.

Anyway, there's nothing inherently "dirty" about using a Mac. I guess that would depend on what kind of "websites" you're designing with it...

I like Windows.

This doesn't mean that I dislike *nix, and it definitely doesn't stop me having 3 *nix boxes. Both doze and nix have their advantages, strong points, and weaknesses.