Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oddflux

I hate windows.

137 posts in this topic

"I hate windows because I use linux" Anytime I sit down at a windows machine I am constantly saying "Windows sucks." or "I hate windows" or "Linux is so much better than Windows", but looking back now I see what I think this. Firstly, yes, Windows does have more security flaws than Linux, but let's be honest if they didn't how would Microsoft make their money? Think about it. The Linux community has a choice to make money or not so the majority of the time Linux is really up to date with the security issues. Microsoft doesn't have a choice. They are a -major- corporation so they have to make money. Not saying this is exactly right, but it doesn't mean that windows totally sucks. The reason I always say these negative things (and don't think I'm going to stop because of this post) is because I'm accustomed to Linux. I think I would probably say the same things if I had to sit down and work on say a Slack computer. I guess what I'm saying is that Windows has its place just as Linux does.

you pay for linux? now I have donated some money too some project. but you pay someone money for linux. that dosen't sound like the GNU I know. You pay for support.

I apologize for my poor wording. Yes, I meant you (in the general sense) have the option to pay for support with Linux. It is usually all packaged in together in a way that seems like you are paying for Linux though. It's usually one of those fine print things.

I apologize for my poor wording. Yes, I meant you (in the general sense) have the option to pay for support with Linux. It is usually all packaged in together in a way that seems like you are paying for Linux though. It's usually one of those fine print things.

I don't use support I have the man command, and the whole internet (like forum like this ;) ).

This is true. I never really understood why people wanted to pay for support, but surely there is a reason somewhere that appeals to some end users. All the support they are paying for is out there on the internet already.

This is true. I never really understood why people wanted to pay for support, but surely there is a reason somewhere that appeals to some end users. All the support they are paying for is out there on the internet already.

back in the early days there was no big internet nor was there man pages or any really good documentation. and for people that make a living working with software can really wait for someone to reply to a forum post, or a irc chat where a million and a half people giving their two cents. So, there's people with good, fast, and reliable support make a little money in the open source. And the good reliable ones are still around.

Yeah, you're right, but those instances don't really apply anymore. I was talking about this day and age...since you know we are in this day and age and all...

Yeah, you're right, but those instances don't really apply anymore. I was talking about this day and age...since you know we are in this day and age and all...

no they still apply, you have a lot of older people that do it their way and call support. And you have a lot of younger kids learning from the older people. and on the other hand you have people that can't afford any downtime. and calling someone with a good, fast and reliable answer it's still golden.

why are you even using windows. I will admit vista and xp have their merrits but for hacking purposes cracking etc. there is no better than ubuntu. Endlessly customizable plus its smaller and will run better. I feel like windows bashing too. Unfortunately the last time I actually owned a windows OS was in the 90's 98 to be exact. I almost killed myself.

Wow, that's the stupidest thing I've heard all day.

And the post you made right above this was brilliantly argumentative. Well done.

Everyone should just admit that every OS has it's ups and downs. Yes, people are entitled to their opinion. But the only real truth is that certain operating systems are better for certain things. Although most things can be done from any OS. There are a few exceptions to this.

Everyone should just admit that every OS has it's ups and downs. Yes, people are entitled to their opinion. But the only real truth is that certain operating systems are better for certain things. Although most things can be done from any OS. There are a few exceptions to this.

Agreed. I think this thread should be closed.

I love windows, I used it as my main operating system.

There are viruses for every OS. However Mac OS and some versions of linux are less likely to get viruses. Windows definetly gets more and thats on top of the glitches windows already has. :ninja:

disagree, if people were more educated about computers 90%+ of all people would pick linux hands down. But people are not and are made to pick one kind of software (microsoft) few would pick mac, like they do now. But people pick computers and software by what they know now, which is windows.

It's like this

take someone that as been driving an automatic car all their life, and then one day tell them to drive a standard 18-wheeler and they would look at you and say "WTF". People uses what they are uses to not what is best.

Just a couple cents on my part:

With the support thing, and since were on the subject of Windows bashing, why the hell would anyone pay fifty some dollars for support?

Agent: "Is your computer plugged in?"

User: "No"

Agent: "Plug it in"

User: "ok"

Agent "That will be fifty-four dollars please"

I mean really, I do understand that some people believe that MS support is all there is, but I'm sure they make enough money without having to exploit end-users.

Thirded. Its Windows bashing, essentially. I go with what L3 said and leave it at that

With the support thing, and since were on the subject of Windows bashing, why the hell would anyone pay fifty some dollars for support?

I mean really, I do understand that some people believe that MS support is all there is, but I'm sure they make enough money without having to exploit end-users.

Thirded. Its Windows bashing, essentially. I go with what L3 said and leave it at that

The biggest problem with you is you don't understand uptime and downtime. you may under stand what those mean but you don't understand it in a business scene. When a computer (server) is down and that server makes money you don't have time to figure it out, you need to call that person/group that made the software or call someone that gives good support. Boy, when you're making money off a server you don't want it to be down.

I buy a linux magazines from time to time, and I would say that a quarter of all the ads are for support. If I was wrong on this subject there would be no ads. You could be the smartest person in the world about computer but when you have a company breathing down your neck because of downtime and they're losing money. you have three options; figure it out in 10 minutes, call support, or you're fired, period!

Why do we even go here?

Windows is not a Unix system. Why do you people keep comparing it to Unix or any Unix-like operating system?

There have been only 2 valid arguments here (and I am to lazy to dig through the fire and flames to recall them), but even then, most of you seem to miss a really key part of the discussion:

Q.E.D. WINDOWS IS NOT A UNIX OS, STOP COMPARING IT TO CERTIFIED UNIX'S OR UNIX DERIVATIVES.

(caps-lock is cruise control for cool)

I know me saying that won't change a damn thing and we will still see all the unwholesome carnage that seems to be key with these debates, but could we at least acknowledge that they are different beasts?

Granted you could feasibly ridicule MS for essentially wanting to be a Unix system but quite simply being to damn lazy to go all the way with it. Hell, ridicule Vista for ripping off Mac with their GUI design, but stop going on and on and on about how dreadful each and every version is.

For Christ sake, it's just a bloody Operating System.

Point out something new, stop rehashing what was most likely posted in 1995.

The biggest problem with you is you don't understand uptime and downtime. you may under stand what those mean but you don't understand it in a business scene. When a computer (server) is down and that server makes money you don't have time to figure it out, you need to call that person/group that made the software or call someone that gives good support. Boy, when you're making money off a server you don't want it to be down.

I buy a linux magazines from time to time, and I would say that a quarter of all the ads are for support. If I was wrong on this subject there would be no ads. You could be the smartest person in the world about computer but when you have a company breathing down your neck because of downtime and they're losing money. you have three options; figure it out in 10 minutes, call support, or you're fired, period!

Yeah fair enough, admittedly I did not consider the business end of this, which is more what that kind of tech support would be for. At the time of posting I was a bit incapacitated, so yes, I retract my previous statement. Although expecting the end user to pay that is outrageous.

I'm done posting in this pointless topic

Point out something new, stop rehashing what was most likely posted in 1995.
I'm done posting in this pointless topic

One hundred and one replies, pointless topic? numbers say different.

I just feel like bashing on windows, completely ignore this if you aren't up for bashing.

this topic was about windows bashing not which one is better. Even though linux is better, please by all means tell me why windows is even equal to linux.

Linux has better uptime, is able to do the basics better, better support, hundreds of options, free and open source. Windows can't touch linux. The only thing that windows is good for is playing on people's stupidity.

There are viruses for every OS. However Mac OS and some versions of linux are less likely to get viruses. Windows definetly gets more and thats on top of the glitches windows already has. :ninja:

The reason there are more viruses for Windows, over other OS's, is because most people use Windows. For the most part, people who use Windows don't know and practice good security habits, this is for a lot of people whom use Windows so don't get offended. Therefore, it's smarter, on the virus creator's end, to make a virus for Windows over a UNIX.

One hundred and one replies, pointless topic? numbers say different.

How many replies a topic has does not make a topic good(i.e. not pointless).

The reason there are more viruses for Windows, over other OS's, is because most people use Windows. For the most part, people who use Windows don't know and practice good security habits, this is for a lot of people whom use Windows so don't get offended. Therefore, it's smarter, on the virus creator's end, to make a virus for Windows over a UNIX.

The main reason is that Microsoft used to be utterly clueless about appropriate user privilege policies. This has finally changed in Vista.

If you have a server that makes you money and you have a fear of losing money...wouldn't you hire someone to keep the server up. You know...like a network admin or something?

If you have a server that makes you money and you have a fear of losing money...wouldn't you hire someone to keep the server up. You know...like a network admin or something?

You should have read my whole post.

A network admin or just an administrator is not going to know everything. Linux is <big>BIG</big> knowing everything is impossible. If the company is lucky, and find someone that dose know everything it's going to cost them big.

If you take a look at irongeek's website he has a section that says "hire me"

Full Time

Have a job in the security or system admin field that pays $45k or more per year? Please contact me, and I'll send you a copy of my resume.

That has to be one of the most saddest things I have seen in a long time. If he was a lot more knowledgeable, say ten times he could/should be asking for around $200K+

Not picking on him, and not say I'm past his level, but he as drops of what make up a gallon of knowledge and you need a gallon to make real money. $45K a year you should be able to work into any computer place and make that.

Again not pick on him, but the reason I use him is because a lot of people here look up to him.

EEP, this thread is getting a bit rough.

My only real gripe with Vista is the fact that Microsoft felt the need to move various settings around. I do tech support for a living (internal, thank goodness), and it's a pain when simple concepts like "right click on your desktop and click properties" are no longer valid across all versions of window. Heck, they even got rid of the word "start" on the start button. Sure it's cake for us, but unfortunately your typical office user is lost, especially the ones who were trained on XP.

I saw a few people mention paying for support in free software, and wondering why anyone would do it. Just thought I should point out that if a company pays for support from an open source project, the support can include custom features. If the project doesn't offer this, the company could pay a contractor to modify code to fit their needs. That is a kind of support you cant get in the closed source world.