Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oddflux

I hate windows.

137 posts in this topic

I just feel like bashing on windows, completely ignore this if you aren't up for bashing.

#include <bas.h>

I HATE WINDOWS!

Thanks.

If anything, I would say that Vista is the worst of all Windows. Everyone I know that has Vista, has had nothing but problems with it. Windows XP was decent. But Linux is waaaaayyyyy better. I even have my 13 year old brother loving Linux.

typical fanboi behavior, running around promoting something they know nothing of, then bashing something they know even less of. "zomg windows r suk linixez iz r00lz!!" its played out and lame. its nice to see some people stepping up and actually saying good things about windows, i think its long overdue. most of you just say how you hate windows and how much it sucks and how much better linux is but thats where it ends, you never really specify what is soooo much better.

As far as windows running so much slower im curious to see your benchmarks, how much slower is it? ive never had any speed issues with any version of windows, and thats mainly becuase i dont expect the newest os and apps to run on 4-5 year old hardware at breakneck speeds. most of you fanbois never compare apples to apples you basically form opinons based on what seems to be the trend or whats cool. obviously alot of you dont have enough windows know how to finetune your operating system and balance performance and quality. you see these bloated oem versions with all sorts of crapware popups and other bs programs on this fat install, and you immediatly point the finger at windows and say it sucks, its slow blah blah blah, then you compare that to a fresh bare bones install of ubuntu and youre like "WOW ITS LIEK SOO MUCH FASTER ZOMG"

I use windows primarily XP and vista and a little bit of linux mostly in vm, but theres nothing that ive ever wanted to do in linux that i couldnt get done in windows, and most of the time i can do it better and more easliy in windows, and with a fancy dreamscene candy dipped graphical interface to match. i'm a fan of fancy looking GUI's the fancier the better the more 3d effects, animationns and cool looking shit i can look at while im in front of the screen the better.

and in windows i typically dont have to worry about searching for crazy driver patches and half ass working ndis wrappers, and only getting half use out of piece of hardware that i just bought at the store. i plug it in and it just works. from games to multiple monitor setups to hardware compatibilty to fancy looking apps to basically most things that i personally do, windows by far surpasses anything that i am able to do in linux. and as far as security, vista out of the box is actually very secure, its the users that comprimise the securtiy by installing everydamn crap app they can find, so any of you fanbois that are knowledgeable enough to download burn and install some nix distro then configure it to do the things you need it to do should be a smart enough windows user to not get pwned by the latest brittany spears screensaver, so you shouldnt be bitching about how insecure windows is.

I wasn't trying to sound like a "fanboi". I love Windows for many things. I just prefer Linux for things that I do a lot like learning to program. I try not to sound immature in my posts and I am sorry if I did.

Agreed, OS bashing is pointless. I was just saying that better 3rd-party support != better operating system. I myself just don't find Windows very interesting or appealing. The only reason I used to use it in the first place was to run mostly open-source, cross-platform apps like Firefox, MPlayer, Pidgin, Apache, etc. And I never liked Windows' administrative tools; the default command prompt is worthless, PowerShell is too bloated and verbose to be used practically, and all of the shiny fancy user interfaces take a bunch of clicks and navigating just to change a single variable value, in some instances. Also due to its closed-source, closed-spec nature, I've felt like with Windows I'm always working some kind of magic: I don't know how something works, or why it works, or what makes it work, I just follow the guide on Microsoft.com, and if I don't like how Microsoft does it or I need more functionality, well, too bad for me.

So it's about preference. If Windows gets the job done for you, fine.

Btw Vector, haven't you ever seen Compiz-Fusion? Far superior to Aero's eye candy, IMHO.

Edited by Spyril

I think that most people hate on MS products because they want to look cool and try to be with the in-crowd.

For those of you who are against MS products: Create a complete operating system. Promote it. Make it better than Windows was, is, and ever will be. Make your OS more successful than Windows. Generate more gross yearly income than MS. Once you do that, I will believe you that Windows sucks. Until then, do us all a favor and shut up.

Sure, just let me have a deal with computer manufacturers that will make my OS the default OS in any computer they produce and I'm ready to go. Being better than Windows isn't exactly hard in any way, the fact that people got used to your product doesn't qualify it as good.

PS No, I am not engaging in another OS discussion, I just wanted to point out the flaw in the quoted poster's logic. Use whatever you like.

Edited by WhatChout

yeah i have compiz installed on my ubuntu box and yes its alot better than aero, but with object desktop from stardock i can completely freak out the way vista looks from custom themes, skins, windows, backgrounds, animations, icons everything and anything you can think of i can do it, and that basically pwns fusions asscheeks.

In what way?

Themes? System->Preferences->Appearance->Theme ( and a healthy dose of http://www.gnome-look.com/ )

Skins? All panels can be edited by default

Windows? IDK what you're referring to here...

Backgrounds? As in wallpaper...?

Animations? I have no idea why this isn't installed on Ubuntu by default but sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager and you can edit all animations (along with a whole host of other things)

Icons? System->Preferences->Appearance->Theme->Customize->Icons ( and again gnome-look )

Docking? AWN (Avant Window Navigator) is you're best bet.

I looked into stardock, and from what I saw I was rather impressed, but I didn't really see anything necessary that couldn't be supplied by Compiz + AWN

Being better than Windows isn't exactly hard in any way

I'd like to see you write a complete, modern OS that is "better" than Windows if it's so easy.

Also in my mind, if you want one Microsoft product for which there really is no competition, look at Office. OpenOffice kind of blows, AbiWord and Gnumeric are alright but they are not Word and Excel (mostly Excel).

I think that most people hate on MS products because they want to look cool and try to be with the in-crowd.

For those of you who are against MS products: Create a complete operating system. Promote it. Make it better than Windows was, is, and ever will be. Make your OS more successful than Windows. Generate more gross yearly income than MS. Once you do that, I will believe you that Windows sucks. Until then, do us all a favor and shut up.

amen

I have a macbook next to my windows box next to my linux box. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses, no doubt. However, while there are many linux fanboys there are just as many "1337 windows h4x0rs" that disrespect linux because they can't figure it out. So honestly, bitching about fanboys is just as fucking annoying as the fanboys.

Edited by .solo

Also in my mind, if you want one Microsoft product for which there really is no competition, look at Office. OpenOffice kind of blows, AbiWord and Gnumeric are alright but they are not Word and Excel (mostly Excel).

This is going to be changing because of Microsoft's Open Specification promise.

amen

I have a macbook next to my windows box next to my linux box. They all have their own strengths and weaknesses, no doubt. However, while there are many linux fanboys there are just as many "1337 windows h4x0rs" that disrespect linux because they can't figure it out. So honestly, bitching about fanboys is just as fucking annoying as the fanboys.

I'm not sure if you're just going on a sidenote or trying to refute my statement. I was not complaining about fanboys. I was stating the fact that complaining about something that is better than what you could ever do is useless. I was also making the point that every OS has its purpose. Stating "Windows sucks" and not providing hard evidence is only showing ignorance and stupidity.

Being better than Windows isn't exactly hard in any way

I'd like to see you write a complete, modern OS that is "better" than Windows if it's so easy.

Why reinvent the wheel? Take a look at servers - *NIXes are in the majority of server OSs because they're better at being server OSs.

Also, your argument is flawed in the way that you assume I have to be a creator of certain type of product to be able to criticize it, which is pure nonsense. Film critics don't make movies, art criticism doesn't require you to draw better than Da Vinci. You're just trying to brush off my opinion.

I was stating the fact that complaining about something that is better than what you could ever do is useless.

If that was the case, then 99% of the population would have to talk like encyclopedias. People have opinions, deal with it.

If anything, I would say that Vista is the worst of all Windows.

Apparently you're not familiar with Windows ME, the Operating System Microsoft refuses to admit they ever created.

I haven't used windows in a long time on my personal computer but...

I loved Windows ME I didn't have any problems with it at all.

I know a lot of people that hate Windows ME, I know a lot that love Windows ME.

I know a lot of people that hate Vista, I know a lot that love Vista.

Windows ME is like Windows Vista, you either love it or hate it.

Windows ME was notorious for... well, not working at all. It would just break, die, not install, crash all the time, do unexplained things, etc. One time my icons all got corrupted (random colors and patterns) less than an hour after the install finished. If you managed to get it to work... it was virtually identical to Windows 98. People were slow to adopt it and Windows XP was released less than 2 years later, so it's more or less (rightly so) forgotten about.

I use M$ Office at work, and openoffice.org at home. I find them both to be bloated and sluggish, I don't remember it always being like this. Does anybody know when word processors got so slow? Maybe its the power of nostalgia, but I remember works, and wordperfect as being very snappy. It is much easier to create formulas in excel, and visio is good stuff. Besides those things, I cant think of anything good about M$ office. What do you really like about Microsoft Office better? I don't do much word processing or spread sheeting, so there are probably lots of features I am unaware of.

Oh and since this is a bash on Microsoft thread, there is no way I would ever pay $500 for office. Especially if i owned a business and would need multiple licenses.

I use M$ Office at work, and openoffice.org at home. I find them both to be bloated and sluggish, I don't remember it always being like this. Does anybody know when word processors got so slow? Maybe its the power of nostalgia, but I remember works, and wordperfect as being very snappy. It is much easier to create formulas in excel, and visio is good stuff. Besides those things, I cant think of anything good about M$ office. What do you really like about Microsoft Office better? I don't do much word processing or spread sheeting, so there are probably lots of features I am unaware of.

Oh and since this is a bash on Microsoft thread, there is no way I would ever pay $500 for office. Especially if i owned a business and would need multiple licenses.

I like OpenOffice, but I don't do much with Excel. Mostly, I use the OpenOffice spreadsheet or gnumeric to generate charts of CSV data output by other programs I write. I've been using LaTeX for most of my word processing/typesetting needs lately, since it can be composed in any old text editor. It's less hassle to use LaTeX than loading either Mac Office 2008 or OpenOffice (well, Neo Office). And, of course, it owns MS Equation Editor.

Office is actually a pretty good suite. OpenOffice.org is slow, boated, and generally just ugly and doesn't have all the features that MS Office does. I don't use MS Office at home but when it comes to layouts it's much better than OpenOffice.org is. The other major office suite out there that really doesn't get the credit it deserves is iWork. The original release really was missing a ton of features and it is still not caught up to MS Office, but the UI is much nicer and for most basic tasks I prefer it to ms office. When it comes to having to create very specifically layed out pages (and since I don't use desktop publishing tools like inDesign yet) MS Office is the way to go. The other huge issue with free office suites is the lack of accessibility functionality in them. Adobe and Microsoft both have a lot of tools to testing and creating accessible documents so those who need assistance (eg. screen reader) can easily understand the document. I've noticed that the open source alternatives generally don't have this functionality which makes it's use in many government and education institutions unacceptable.

Windows ME was notorious for... well, not working at all. It would just break, die, not install, crash all the time, do unexplained things, etc. One time my icons all got corrupted (random colors and patterns) less than an hour after the install finished. If you managed to get it to work... it was virtually identical to Windows 98. People were slow to adopt it and Windows XP was released less than 2 years later, so it's more or less (rightly so) forgotten about.

Windows ME was notorious for... well, for working. It would just install, stay ranning all the time, do explained things, etc. One time my icons did not got all corrupted (don't have random colors and patterns)....

---------

First Ohm, you really need to sit down and learn how to use a computer that would solve three quarters of your problems.

Like I said I never had a problem with ME, and I know a lot of people that didn't. you need to speak for yourself. and only for yourself. Boy!

Windows ME was notorious for... well, for working. It would just install, stay ranning all the time, do explained things, etc. One time my icons did not got all corrupted (don't have random colors and patterns)....

---------

First Ohm, you really need to sit down and learn how to use a computer that would solve three quarters of your problems.

Like I said I never had a problem with ME, and I know a lot of people that didn't. you need to speak for yourself. and only for yourself. Boy!

this is exactly what im talking about. people might have something go wrong once or twice and then talk about it as if it happens all the time, people like to act as if linux is this magical os that walks on water and never has a hiccup, never has any errors, never crashes, never has any errors, is soooo super easy and simple for anyone to use, which is simply just not the case.

I agree with you. As far as linux, I have been using linux for around 6 years, I have never has the kernel crash but I have had X and alot of GUI apps crash many times over.

this is exactly what im talking about. people might have something go wrong once or twice and then talk about it as if it happens all the time, people like to act as if linux is this magical os that walks on water and never has a hiccup, never has any errors, never crashes, never has any errors, is soooo super easy and simple for anyone to use, which is simply just not the case.

I was fixing machines at that time, and it seemed like every other person calling me was having problems with either their new computer (which ran Windows ME) or their new upgrade to Windows ME. Seriously, it had problems. A lot of problems. It would crash, bluescreen, have random quirks or just fail completely. Some people got lucky and it ran good for them, great. A significant percentage were not so lucky. I think the situation also improved after a few rounds of patches.

I have problems with Linux all the time. The NVidia drivers killed my network drivers, sound would randomly stop working and flash crashed firefox. I had to disable ACPI and abandon the integrated sound (but now it runs great). Linux is not a "better" operating system because it's a magic bullet, Linux is good because it gives me the tools I need readily. That's what's important to me.

I was fixing machines at that time, and it seemed like every other person calling me was having problems with either their new computer (which ran Windows ME) or their new upgrade to Windows ME. Seriously, it had problems. A lot of problems. It would crash, bluescreen, have random quirks or just fail completely. Some people got lucky and it ran good for them, great. A significant percentage were not so lucky. I think the situation also improved after a few rounds of patches.

I have problems with Linux all the time. The NVidia drivers killed my network drivers, sound would randomly stop working and flash crashed firefox. I had to disable ACPI and abandon the integrated sound (but now it runs great). Linux is not a "better" operating system because it's a magic bullet, Linux is good because it gives me the tools I need readily. That's what's important to me.

I was fixing machines at that time, and it seemed like every other person calling me was having success with either their new computer (which ran Windows ME) or their new upgrade to Windows ME. Seriously, it had no problems. A lot of good things. It would have great uptime, no bluescreen, or just ran great completely. Some people got stupid and it didn't ran good for them, bad. A significant percentage were so lucky. I think the situation also improved after a few people learned how to use a computer.

You're either trolling or have shit for brains.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_ME:

Windows Me was criticized by users for its instability and unreliability, due to frequent freezes and crashes. A PC World article dubbed Windows Me the "Mistake Edition" and listed it as the fourth "Worst Tech Product of All Time".[16] "Shortly after Me appeared in late 2000," the article states, "users reported problems installing it, getting it to run, getting it to work with other hardware or software, and getting it to stop running." Even Microsoft acknowledged its unpopularity.[17]

Btw, my mom still has Windows ME on one of her old computers. After an extensive amount of time using it, I'm confident in saying that it's easily the worst operating system I've ever used. I remember getting freezes or BSODs almost daily.

Edited by Spyril

It is difficult to design an OS that does not suck to somebody. Each is designed with features that appeal to some and suck to others. OSX, Windows, Linux, and FreeBSD all have features that appeal to me.

In my experiences 90% of Windows kernel panics are caused from poorly written 3rd party drivers or faulty hardware. When MS is responsible it seems the issue is resolved quickly (every issue I've encountered anyway). Only twice have I needed to install 3rd party drivers for OSX. The first was a WiFi driver for the Prism 2.5 chipset. That would kernel panic the OS every five minutes. The other driver was for a Realtek chipset. It beach balls every time the client utility attempts to power cycle the radio (probably an issue with the client utility and not the driver). IMO the Unix developer base, on average are much more competent than those of other operating systems. I would also speculate having access to the kernel's source code would effect the task of developing its drivers in a positive manner.

To join in on the fun. I've always hated the MS implementation of Netbios/SMB file sharing. It seems prone to random failures that after careful inspection and protocol analysis can only be answered as glitches in the matrix To-boot, it is clunky as heck when transferring large files. Never had any troubles with SAMBA though.

EDIT: up to Windows 3.11, ME is the only version I've never used once. Perhaps I'll get a copy from ebay to run in a VM. For me, it would be interesting to know if it is lame as everyone claims.

Edited by tekio

I was fixing machines at that time, and it seemed like every other person calling me was having success with either their new computer (which ran Windows ME) or their new upgrade to Windows ME. Seriously, it had no problems. A lot of good things. It would have great uptime, no bluescreen, or just ran great completely. Some people got stupid and it didn't ran good for them, bad. A significant percentage were so lucky. I think the situation also improved after a few people learned how to use a computer.

Your post is childish and you should feel childish.

this is exactly what im talking about. people might have something go wrong once or twice and then talk about it as if it happens all the time

Yes, but strange quirks like the system getting sluggish over time, no matter how tidy you want to keep it or programs that would just hang up all sum up to the general experience, (this is my experience with XP, by the way - I still see enough advantages of it to keep it, besides I'm too lazy) which is what Ohm has been describing.

people like to act as if linux is this magical os that walks on water and never has a hiccup, never has any errors, never crashes, never has any errors, is soooo super easy and simple for anyone to use, which is simply just not the case.

Which people exactly? Can you name them? I don't remember saying anything to the effect of Linux being the next incarnation of Jesus, nor do I remember any seasoned forum users doing that. Of course you're going to find a lot of innecessary or pretentious bitching, but that doesn't mean people can't not like Windows for absolutely legitimate reasons.

this is exactly what im talking about. people might have something go wrong once or twice and then talk about it as if it happens all the time

Yes, but strange quirks like the system getting sluggish over time, no matter how tidy you want to keep it or programs that would just hang up all sum up to the general experience, (this is my experience with XP, by the way - I still see enough advantages of it to keep it, besides I'm too lazy) which is what Ohm has been describing.

people like to act as if linux is this magical os that walks on water and never has a hiccup, never has any errors, never crashes, never has any errors, is soooo super easy and simple for anyone to use, which is simply just not the case.

Which people exactly? Can you name them? I don't remember saying anything to the effect of Linux being the next incarnation of Jesus, nor do I remember any seasoned forum users doing that. Of course you're going to find a lot of innecessary or pretentious bitching, but that doesn't mean people can't not like Windows for absolutely legitimate reasons.

I love reading your post. :devil:

I'm enjoying this debate. Much like political exchanges, you're bound to see all types come into the fold that fit by certain stereotypes. It's not that their opinions are invalid, but its interesting to observe. It's like people watching on a crowded subway.

To the extent that there is no need for this to be anything but a pleasant exchange, I'd suggest that if anyone feels animosity, that they hang back. Conflicting viewpoints are the name of the game. Putting your views out there invites an onslaught, and with that comes a likely tiring defense of your opinions. But that's the nature of it all. Accept it, and smile at the folley. No need to be buzzed.

Edited by Seal