Ragnarok30

What WIFI card do you use...

27 posts in this topic

I prefer to stick with ralink and intel. Intel is well supported in linux, gives good range, and doesn't kill my battery. My earlier statement may have been a generalization, but it's my experience and I've owned 6 different Atheros based cards. All of them had significantly worse range than the Intel chipsets (unless attaching a high gain antenna which for normal use I'm not going to carry with me). Atheros may have the opportunity for new features quicker but one of the main reasons is because so much of he work is done in software. In all honesty the madwifi driver really isn't that great. There are tons of bugs, slow releases, and they can be buggy as hell at times.

Agreed, I'm on a Intel wifi chipset and it was supported by my Linux distro right after I updated, not to mention it has great range and doesn't affect my battery life at all.

Besides needing to RMA a 4965 Intel have been reliable for me as well. My only complaint is that a lot of their chipsets are no fun. Meaning no promiscuous mode, no packet injection, etc..., is supported a lot of them I've used. Probably for simple WiFi usage you are correct, as you've obviously got a good understanding of chipset design.

I've only experienced one issue with Mad-WiFi. That was just because an older version of the drivers was being used with a newer chipset. It seems Atheros has a lot of different chipsets as well. That great number makes it difficult for a development team to support every single chipset put out.

Edited by tekio