Ragnarok30

What WIFI card do you use...

27 posts in this topic

I'm frustrated with this subject. I should be able to hack my own WIFI by now but I can't.

I really really like learning new computer tricks, and when I can't get it to work, it pisses me off.

I have an Orinoco, but it works worth shit. I really want an airpcap with antenna attachment but I can't pay 500 buck right now.

What WIFI card do you use to penetrate your own network?

Internal / External?

Does your WIFI whatever support packet injection?

Any suggestions?

I have an Orinoco, but it works worth shit. I really want an airpcap with antenna attachment but I can't pay 500 buck right now.

aircrack-ng is opensource and from what I've read about airpcap it is much more robust. From my experience the easiest chipset to set up is a compatible Atheros with patched Mad-WiFi drivers. Other chipsets, like the Prism 2.5 need either an older kernel or a patched and rebuilt kernel (not sure of your Linux skills).

To start back-track is already configured for WEP cracking. If you want to use back-track as a learning platform there is plenty of discussion about compatible chipsets at the remote-exploit forums: Remote Exploit Forums

EDIT: btw cool avatar. Did you make it?

EDIT: as vector stated there are other options besides Linux as well.

Edited by tekio

No. I didnt make this avatar, just googled it.

I'm thinking about going with going with Netgear WG511T. I hope I don't regret it. I am looking into commview for wifi, it's pretty expensive.

I've tried Ubuntu. I've tried Windows. I've tried a live session of Backtrack.

When using an Orinoco and BT I was able to capture packets once, but after that never again. I'm not sure why.

I hope I can just use a windows operating system to do this. I wiped my drawing board clean, and starting from scratch.

Edited by Ragnarok30

No. I didnt make this avatar, just googled it.

I'm thinking about going with going with Netgear WG511T. Vector, let me clerify for my own sake. Using a WG511T, you are successful at capturing AND injecting through windows? What program do you use for this?

Thanks for the feedback.

It should work with aircrack-ng as it has an Atheros AR5001 chipset. I've just ordered one here: refurb wg511t

It should work with Commview for WiFi and Wildpacket's drivers as well. According to this it will inject with windows too: AiroWizard

EDIT: sorry. just noticed the question was for vector.

Edited by tekio

Can someone tell me their experience with Broadcom? The linux b43 module supposedly supports packet injection, but it's not working on my computer (I'm using aireplay-ng -9 to test it). I know there's a patch for this, but the patch only speeds up packet injection.

PS My card is a Broadcom BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI if it makes a difference

Edited by Spyril

I was reading on aircrack-ngs site that it is possible with a broadcom, but you have to patch it. And I have terrible times patching anything in Linux, just me. I dunno about anyone else though.

I got a wg511t. It is pretty nice, I like it. I'm not trying going with commview yet for various reasons.

I'm try going with Kismet with a combo of aireplay. I just got the conf file to work correctly, I was really happy. I'm not sure what I have to do to configure aireplay.

I haven't been able to test it out very much because after about 500 packets collected from my own network, it produced no weak IVs.

Feedback?

I got a wg511t. It is pretty nice, I like it. I'm not trying going with commview yet for various reasons.

I'm try going with Kismet with a combo of aireplay. I just got the conf file to work correctly, I was really happy. I'm not sure what I have to do to configure aireplay.

I haven't been able to test it out very much because after about 500 packets collected from my own network, it produced no weak IVs.

Feedback?

Sounds like you're not getting any ARP broadcasts to re-inject. If that is the problem use the chopchop and packetforge-ng method (link below). You could also try to ping an ip with WLAN client. That should force an ARP broadcast. Also make sure you are associated with the AP.

If a router is configured to broadcast SSDP the chopchop/packetforge-ng attack can break WEP in about 15 minutes. ;)

chopchop authenticated tutorial

EDIT: You are probably capturing management/beacon packets. To get weak IVs they must be data packets.

Edited by tekio

I have an Alfa 500mW USB Wireless B/G Adapter, Ubiquiti XR2 600mW card in one of my laptops and a cheap Atheros AR5008 802.11A/B/G/N card in my other. I also have a RT73 usb dongle from some random company. Which one I use largely depends on what I need and where I am.

I use a customized D-Link connected to a wireless booster and several network extenders. My D-Link is also coupled with a Buffalo wireless router. The router boosts the signal to just below the FCC's law implies. However depending on what you are trying to do all this may not be nescessary. :ninja:

Hey dude on www.youtube.com there is a whole episode on WEP cracking i guess it geos along with that your saying. The card they use can send de-auth packets (dos wireless). I think its by the hak .5 guys.

I use a customized D-Link connected to a wireless booster and several network extenders. My D-Link is also coupled with a Buffalo wireless router. The router boosts the signal to just below the FCC's law implies. However depending on what you are trying to do all this may not be nescessary. :ninja:

isn't a network an extender(s) a small box you can relay ethenet cable signals so you can have a longer cable then normal? or a small wifi box that allows wifi from a bigger network. why would you need more then one.

and the FCC dose not make laws.

you are more full or shit then I am :)

I have an Alfa 500mW USB Wireless B/G Adapter, Ubiquiti XR2 600mW card in one of my laptops

Was that Ubiquiti easy to mount with access to the MMCX connector?

I 've got a D-Link card which sucks pretty much, an onboard card from Broadcom which is "okay" and finally i've got a Senao 3045+ or sth. like that which is pretty good (prism chipset ... dont remember exactly which one).

I'd recommend Senao!

BTW, you can check compatibility issues on most OS Sites .. for example remote-exploite.org , which I also can recommend for hackin WiFi. If you even need instructions check ... www.offensive-security.com (some preview videos ... ).

Yours,

HaNoCr

isn't a network an extender(s) a small box you can relay ethenet cable signals so you can have a longer cable then normal? or a small wifi box that allows wifi from a bigger network. why would you need more then one.

You are thinking of an active bridge /repeater and WDS to extend a 802.11 network. A booster is simply a device that will boost the signal. This can be a typical antenna with a higher gain or an actual amplifier. For a while Buffalo made a 802.11 wifi router with a built in amplifier. It was later discontinued because the FCC felt it did not fall within frequency regulations for 2.4Ghz or 5.8Ghz spectrum. An extender , I believe, is the process of using and configuring WDS to extend the range of a WiFi 802.11 network with multiple APs.

However, if one shops at the correct place it is easy to get an 802.11 2.4Ghz amplifier. You'd just have to check a box declaring you're a government employee or enlister in the military with ability to legally use such a high-powered device.

EDIT: I always thought that was kinda weird because both 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz are public frequencies in the US.

EDIT: the practical use for extending WDS with multiple wireless APs is to create a constant WiFi signal in a large area. If WDS is set up correctly users are able to go through out an entire building and never need to reconect to the nework or use a different internet connection.

Edited by tekio

I have an Alfa 500mW USB Wireless B/G Adapter, Ubiquiti XR2 600mW card in one of my laptops

Easy enough.

Easy enough.

M ubiquiti 300srx is a pain in the ass to mount an antenna unless you get the clip on antenna from ubiqiti. otherwise you need to rig up some fucking attachment to hold the pigtail onto the mmcx connector on the card. its pretty fucking lame. ive also had nothing but problems with my srx 300. and it gets suuuuper fucking hot too.

Ya, I've got the SRX too. I've found the SRC to be 100 times better, though it is PCMCIA.

I have a question for you LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS:

about 30 minutes ago my HP 2133 arrived. Have you found a PC Express (besides the SRX) card that will fit in these and do promiscuous, inject and RF mode?

EDIT: i was thinking about trying this one: http://www.eofficedirect.com/PBLKF5D8073/B...0Mbps.html--kFC. I'm having trouble identifying its chipset though.

Edited by tekio

Easy enough.

M ubiquiti 300srx is a pain in the ass to mount an antenna unless you get the clip on antenna from ubiqiti. otherwise you need to rig up some fucking attachment to hold the pigtail onto the mmcx connector on the card. its pretty fucking lame. ive also had nothing but problems with my srx 300. and it gets suuuuper fucking hot too.

Ya, I've got the SRX too. I've found the SRC to be 100 times better, though it is PCMCIA.

I have a question for you LUCKY_FUCKIN_CHARMS:

about 30 minutes ago my HP 2133 arrived. Have you found a PC Express (besides the SRX) card that will fit in these and do promiscuous, inject and RF mode?

EDIT: i was thinking about trying this one: http://www.eofficedirect.com/PBLKF5D8073/B...0Mbps.html--kFC. I'm having trouble identifying its chipset though.

I belive there is one by dlink i cant remember the exact model but youre better off doing what i did and just get an express card to cardbus adapter, that gives you alot more flexiblility and you can use all your existing cards with your mini. i use this on my mini note and my xps m1330.

True. I just found out the Belkin has a Ralink 2680. THat will support Wildpacket's Omnipeek, but no injection. To use externally I've got the 500mw Alpha. I would really like to get something that is compact like a PC Express form-factor.

thanks!

EDIT: just found the Dlink. It is the dwa-643 and has an Atheros chipset that works with Aircrack-ng

thanks again!

Edited by tekio

Ughh...

It has been so long since I've been able to work on my laptop. Plus I haven't posted in a while.

So answer me this, if you don't mind.

So in order to run ng-aireplay does it need to configured to hell like Kismet needed?

In my experience aireplay-ng needed no configuration. That was Linux though.

Atheros cards are insanely overrated and terrible cards unless you are using them for a few very specific purposes. They eat up a ton of battery and cpu and generally have less range due to how they are designed. An Atheros card is basically just a transceiver, antenna, and some type of interface to connect to your computer. The cpu is responsible for handling all the radio work rather than an on card processor thus eating up a lot of processor power from your system depending on what you are doing. When you need the abilities of an Atheros card (the only one other cards can't do is multiple virtual interfaces) Atheros cards do it well. However for just general packet injection, monitor mode, promiscuous mode, or daily use there are many other chipsets out there that will perform just as well and leave you with more cpu and battery power.

Atheros cards are insanely overrated and terrible cards unless you are using them for a few very specific purposes. They eat up a ton of battery and cpu and generally have less range due to how they are designed. An Atheros card is basically just a transceiver, antenna, and some type of interface to connect to your computer. The cpu is responsible for handling all the radio work rather than an on card processor thus eating up a lot of processor power from your system depending on what you are doing. When you need the abilities of an Atheros card (the only one other cards can't do is multiple virtual interfaces) Atheros cards do it well. However for just general packet injection, monitor mode, promiscuous mode, or daily use there are many other chipsets out there that will perform just as well and leave you with more cpu and battery power.

What chipsets do you prefer? I'm always interested in trying something better.

My only complaint about the some of the better Realtek and Ralink chipsets is that they come in a limited variety of adapter/cards and are usually only found on USB models. I always prefer either PCMCIA or PC Express as they are much more convenient to carry around and do not get damaged as easily as big 2" extension sticking out of a poorly designed connector. I've just broke too many otherwise decent WiFi adapters because USB ports are just not designed for a 3" dongle pointing out it. Also, it is really a pain walking around a building with a 2' cable extending from an otherwise compact laptop.

From my experiences Atheros 3rd party drivers are designed well, and by far better supported than any other manufacturer. From MadWiFi to Wildpackets to Commview products most of their chipsets are covered. If I do not need to use WiFi tools with 3rd party drivers the internal cards in the laptop will usually suffice. Or if extended range is needed my Ubiquiti SRC and SRX are very powerful and allow me to use most any 3rd part antenna.

I would love to see a good PC Express card with either the Realtek 8187L (not even sure it is practical) or Ralink RT73, but to my knowledge there is none out there.

EDIT: IMO Atheros does a great job of designing the chipsets to be compact. That is another reason I like them.

Edited by tekio

Ughh...

It has been so long since I've been able to work on my laptop. Plus I haven't posted in a while.

So answer me this, if you don't mind.

So in order to run ng-aireplay does it need to configured to hell like Kismet needed?

No. On Ubuntu or Debian it is a simple apt-get install aircrack-ng. Even if it needs to be compiled from source I've never ran into any situations where the standard, ./config. make, make install doesn't work. Not sure of all the needed dependencies, but most are just the standard Unix build tools.

The only complicated part can be patching the drivers. Like I said, MadWifi are from my experiences the easiest. If your unsure of the patch command just copy and paste from the instructions at the Aircrack-ng website: http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=madwifi-ng, It is always good to use the man pages to know exactly what your doing though. If for nothing else you'll learn from the experience that way.

Edited by tekio

I prefer to stick with ralink and intel. Intel is well supported in linux, gives good range, and doesn't kill my battery. My earlier statement may have been a generalization, but it's my experience and I've owned 6 different Atheros based cards. All of them had significantly worse range than the Intel chipsets (unless attaching a high gain antenna which for normal use I'm not going to carry with me). Atheros may have the opportunity for new features quicker but one of the main reasons is because so much of he work is done in software. In all honesty the madwifi driver really isn't that great. There are tons of bugs, slow releases, and they can be buggy as hell at times.