xcalibur

Which cell phone company do you use?

28 members have voted

1. 1. where do ya fit in?

• White hat
    • Black Hat
    • Gray Hat
    • I don't wear any fukking hats.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

25 posts in this topic

I've had AT&T for about two years but I'm thinking about switching to Sprint. I know it's a little less coverage, but I'd get more services for far less plus they'll give me a student discount. Besides, ever since AT&T bought out Cingular charges are up and service is down.

What do you have and why? Opinions of any sort?

Edited by xcalibur

I'm /kzzp!/ with /hiss/ Rogers. Mainly /garble/ because /hiss/ I'm stuck in an /garble/ awful contract /hiss/ that I took /garble/ through work /call drop/

at&t and don't plan on switching as I am happy with my iPhone.

Virgin mobile.

I don't yap to much on the phone unless I'm near a payphone but latley my mom has been ph33ring when I'm out late and she wants to check up on her little phreaker :)

Ive been with att ever since it was att the first time. my bill hasnt changed since att switched back from cingular, they have however added some new features to the lineup like video calling which i like, a little pricy right now but i still like it, and theyre the only company that dosnt bitch about the unlimited data plan, i use the shit out of it and it really is unlimited ive used gigs and gigs of data tethering it to my laptop and theyver never once sent me a warning letter or charged me for extra data usage, i also like att/cingular because they dont lock out alot of features on their handsets like DUN or bluetooth file transfers, shit like that that ive seen with verizon and sprint, i suppose it dosnt matter because i have an unlocked phone anyways but its still the idea.

as for your case i suppose it dosnt really matter what coverage you get as long as you get coverage where you live and spend most of your time, i dont give a shit about worldwide coverage maps and quadband world phones becuase i rarely leave las vegas, so any carrier i get is going to give me good coverage here in vegas.

Is living in Vegas as exciting as they make visiting Vegas look on TV? I need to get the fuck away from the East coast.

As far as data and mms, Sprint has much better prices for the same services (big deal right now as a near-broke college student). Right now I'm paying almost $55 for 450 minutes, 5000 nights and weekends, and 200 texts with AT&T. The plan I might transfer into it 450 minutes, unlimited nights and weekends, and unlimited simple/media messaging plus unlimited data (streaming TV!) for about $60, or 450 minutes and unlimited everything but data for $42 with Sprint. Plus, AT&T is ridiculous with nickel and dimming you to hell. For example, when I first bought my phone I got it with insurance. I took the insurance off a while later but still got charged for full month of insurance PLUS a five dollar change of service charge or something. And that charge shows up every time I change something small, too, like adding text messaging or whatever. Sprint they haven't locked any features like as far as I can tell (I'm in a 30 day trial mode before I switch [which AT&T doesn't do, for the record]).

For the record, AT&T has excellent service. I was never disappointed with anything but value.

Verizon. Good deals, no dropped calls and replaces my phone after I go four wheeling and it gets wet LOL.

Verizon. Good deals, no dropped calls and replaces my phone after I go four wheeling and it gets wet LOL.

this reminds me. if you ever need to have your handset replaced and you have insurance or youre going through the manufacturer warranty, and your phone isnt working becuase of water damage, the support agent will ask you to locate a small sticker usually located either on the battery or inside the battery bay of your pone. the sticker is usually white color but if its been exposed to extreme moisture or gotten wet it will turn red. the agent will ask you to find it then theyll ask you what color it is, if you tell them its red then they wont cover your phone. the stickers are usually round but depending on the phone they could be rectangular or some other shape. so if they ask always tell them that its white color, by the time they get the phone back it will be too late and youll already have gotten a new one.

Nice tip. Here's another one: if your phone gets wet and they won't replace it, put it in a Tupperware container with enough rubbing alcohol to submerge it and shake it up. Let it dry and there's a little less than 50% (bullshit experience stat) that it will work again. I guess the alcohol washes the minerals left behind away, and since alcohol evaporates cleanly, you should be good to go. This is obviously a last resort, but it can be useful.

Tmobile. Evidently the airport near our neighborhood messes up reception, as does being in the basement. Since it is has been consistent at two different houses and several different phones, I'll blame them and their network.

sprint, because it was the cheapest at the time i signed up.

ATT, for all the reasons Vector stated. Unlimited txt and data for $50/mo. I've setup all my servers at work to txt things such as account lockouts, critical services not responding, etc. This convinced my boss to kick down some reimbursement for my bill. That plus Opera Mini makes it worth it. :voteyes:

Here's another tip for this thread: phone customer retention lines asking about special deals / EPP / other non-advertised bundles, most of which don't even require a contract or for you to be an employee.

Also works for dsl, cable and satellite providers in areas outside an absolute monopoly or districts concerned about turnover.

Telus. Paying next to nothing with one of their employee pricing plans (that I in no way qualify for) plus a few free bundles.

verizon

i'm in the market for a data plan for laptop use (fun) and to play with one of those 3G mobile routers. Cheap would be nice, unlimited data would be nicer

Verizon is the only one that works well where I live, so I don't have to pay for a landline.

ATT, for all the reasons Vector stated. Unlimited txt and data for $50/mo.

??? Umm, what plan is that? By my count, there's 40+35=75 before tax, closer to 80/85, and that's only with 450 minutes.

this reminds me. if you ever need to have your handset replaced and you have insurance or youre going through the manufacturer warranty, and your phone isnt working becuase of water damage, the support agent will ask you to locate a small sticker usually located either on the battery or inside the battery bay of your pone. the sticker is usually white color but if its been exposed to extreme moisture or gotten wet it will turn red. the agent will ask you to find it then theyll ask you what color it is, if you tell them its red then they wont cover your phone. the stickers are usually round but depending on the phone they could be rectangular or some other shape. so if they ask always tell them that its white color, by the time they get the phone back it will be too late and youll already have gotten a new one.

If you take clear nail polish and put it over the white dot when you get the phone then more than likely it will not ever turn red and you will always be able to get a replacement phone.

For my phone company, I don't have a cell phone currently. However I have used Cingular/AT&T, U.S. Cellular, and an affiliate of Tmobile (iwireless - prepaid) in the past. I was the most happy with Cingular/ATT and chose them because of the excellent customer service. Having been on many many customer service calls for people while I was a relay operator I got a pretty good idea of the customer service levels of each company and Cingular/AT&T by far was the best in customer satisfaction

Edited by Bizurke

theyre the only company that dosnt bitch about the unlimited data plan, i use the shit out of it and it really is unlimited ive used gigs and gigs of data tethering it to my laptop and theyver never once sent me a warning letter or charged me for extra data usage,

Just curious, do you have a tethering plan or use and unlocked phone for that (w/o the $30 tethering fee)?

Prepaid service at home, STI Mobile. I've also used Tracfone for a number of years, and never really had any problems with them.

Work cell phone is apparently Verizon.

It's funny you should refer to Alltel as "Alltel (lol)". I used to live in an area (read: BFE) where they were the major provider. Their customer service capabilities are, "interesting." For instance, if you have a phone from one "region" you cannot get it fixed in another. The customer service people can't even look up your information, and will likely inform you, "You're not in the system, are you sure you're an Alltel customer?". I shit you not.

I now have Verizon, and I have no complaints whatsoever. I am, however, waiting for all of their positive feedback and market share to go to their head, to the point they start thinking they can do whatever the fuck they want (I'm looking at you, Google).

It's funny you should refer to Alltel as "Alltel (lol)". I used to live in an area (read: BFE) where they were the major provider. Their customer service capabilities are, "interesting." For instance, if you have a phone from one "region" you cannot get it fixed in another. The customer service people can't even look up your information, and will likely inform you, "You're not in the system, are you sure you're an Alltel customer?". I shit you not.

Alltel only has two billing systems for the U.S., one called V2 and the other called Cellware. Besides those two systems, they don't split up their billing records into different regions like some wireless providers do. So if you had issues like this, you must have just happened to have crossed over into a Cellware area instead of a V2 area, or vice versa. Though any Alltel employee should know that if it's not in one system then it must be in the other.

I used to have Sprint for probably 6 years. Then one day I called them to change something on my plan and they insisted on renewing my 2 year contract to change anything. I told them no way, I'd leave Sprint before I would do that. I went through several levels of supervisors and none of them would let me change my plan without signing up for another 2 years. So I said fine, cancel my service. Today I'm happy with my AT&T wireless service.

??? Umm, what plan is that? By my count, there's 40+35=75 before tax, closer to 80/85, and that's only with 450 minutes.

My bad, I don't think I explained that correctly. I get unlimited text and data for $50, and then whatever voice plan on top of that. I got the 450 minute plan, but thanks to rollover, I'm currently sitting on about 4,000 minutes.

My bad, I don't think I explained that correctly. I get unlimited text and data for $50, and then whatever voice plan on top of that. I got the 450 minute plan, but thanks to rollover, I'm currently sitting on about 4,000 minutes.

I am, too. But the question is, why am I paying more to sit on minutes I probably won't ever use? I can't justify it anymore, especially since EVERYONE ELSE offers unlimited nights and weekends that start before AT&Ts do (you gotta pay an extra $5 or $10 to get N&W to start at 7. That's retarded.)

I use Nextel.

Sprint bought Nextel out years ago, so you have Sprint.

Sprint SERO plan is cheap as hell, as long as you don't mind keeping your phone for 2 years.

$30 for 500 anytime, unlimited data, nights+weekends @ 7, mobile to mobile. It's basically a modded fair&flexible plan. I was texting like a bitch during that time, so I managed to get unlimited texts for $10 instead of 15 when I stepped the texts up. Equipment protection's $8 a month on top of that. So for me, it's like unlimited everything + insurance for a little less than $50.

http://sprint.com/sero and use savings@sprintemi.com :P

There are threads about it on plenty of forums out there (howardForums, sprint users, somethingawful, etc).