Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nadia

corrupt JPEG

6 posts in this topic

Hy to all,

I read some where that in window a cruppt JPEG can act like exe, how much its true?

how it acts like that? did it got execution area in RAM?

how can we check that a file is acting just like an exe file? :o

A corrupted JPEG could exploit a vulnerability in the JPEG loading library used by Windows or another program. This vulnerability could lead to arbitrary data being loaded into RAM and executed. I don't remember anything specifically for JPEG files, but I do remember something similar for Winamp and MP3 files. This was years ago and it was patched quickly though. The thing about these vulns is they don't stick around, they get patched and disappear.

I suggest you start reading about programming, computer science and security. This is an interesting question, but not one you can understand without some study and understanding. I suggest learning a programming language to start out. It doesn't matter all that much which one, just pick one and learn it. However, here are a few that I don't think are good starting places: C++, Perl, assembly or Visual Basic (especially pre-.net VB).

well what your talking about has actually been fixed but there is still some files you can find that still have that vulnerability out there just floating in the net waiting for a unpatched machine to find it

well what your talking about has actually been fixed but there is still some files you can find that still have that vulnerability out there just floating in the net waiting for a unpatched machine to find it

At least the one's that are publicly known have been fixed, anyway.... ;)