Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thecriscoking

Charging an acid battery

7 posts in this topic

I have an acid battery (?) that was used as a backup for the alarm system on my house. Its dead now, but I was wondering how I would go about charging it. A friend of mine said I use a regular plug (positive and negative prongs) and strip the wire and just connect the battery to the positive and negative on the battery. Is this so? If not, how would I go about charging this battery?

Don't listen to your friend, he's going to get you killed.

The battery is a lead-acid battery (it's big and really heavy?), so it needs DC to charge. Unlike nickel cadmium and lithium ion batteries, it doesn't require a constant current, only a constant voltage. However, what this voltage is and how long to apply it before it's fully charged all depends on the battery.

If it was part of an alarm system for your house, it's probably already hooked up to a charger. Those batteries are kept constantly charged as over time, it will lose charge all on its own. Eventually, the battery will just die and no longer hold a charge. There's not much you can do at that point. The good news is that you can find a replacement in a variety of places. There's an auto parts store that also sells all kind of batteries near here, that's where I'd go. Either write down the specs or just bring the battery with you. Replace it with something with the same specs and you'll be fine. Though it might not necessarily be the same size, advances in battery technology have shrunk batteries a little over the years.

Thank you, Ohm, for the advice and practically saving me. Yes, the batter is very big and heavy, so I'll just go out and buy another. I have another question if you don't mind. I need a battery that I can use and recharge for quite a while, particularly to hold a charge from solar cells. I've heard car batteries work for this. Any advice?

A car battery is just a lead-acid battery. They have different characteristics though. Car batteries are suited best for short bursts of high current. Its primary job is to run the starter motor, which takes quite a bit of current. Some others can hold more, but can't produce as much current. But yeah, car batteries will work fine and may be the cheapest route. However, if you're buying solar panels (which are decidedly un-cheap), then you might as well buy whatever batteries the manufacturer recommends.

Also, take that old dead battery with you when you go to get another. They'll usually give you money off the new battery with the return of the old one, since they get money for recycling them. Alternately, you could recycle it yourself for money, if there's a recycling center near you that takes batteries.

Like PurpleJesus said, you'll want a deep cycle battery if you can afford it. They're better suited for use as a storage battery. If you're going to buy one online specifically for the application, get a gel cell lead-acid battery, or at least a sealed maintenance-free one.

A car battery is just a lead-acid battery. They have different characteristics though. Car batteries are suited best for short bursts of high current. Its primary job is to run the starter motor, which takes quite a bit of current. Some others can hold more, but can't produce as much current. But yeah, car batteries will work fine and may be the cheapest route. However, if you're buying solar panels (which are decidedly un-cheap), then you might as well buy whatever batteries the manufacturer recommends.

I've had good experiences with two 6v golf cart batteries hooked up in a series for this.