Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nightmaresandbeer

Phlak

9 posts in this topic

I have been looking around for phlak, and I have found a few sites that are selling the live cd, but if i'm not mistaken, isn't it free? I'm not 100% sure, but doesn't have a GPL license?

I don't think PHLAK has been updated in years and yes it is free if you can find a copy.

CDs are not free, nor is postage.

As for a free download...

You were obviously not looking proficiently enough.

I am not sure why you would want PHLAK, because of how outdated it is. If you are looking for a live Linux CD that focuses on pentesting, <<Back|Track is the answer.

yeah, Backtrack is definitely the way to go now. I got my CD, works pretty well on my laptop. I used it for the bluetooth tools it has.

I have been looking around for phlak, and I have found a few sites that are selling the live cd, but if i'm not mistaken, isn't it free? I'm not 100% sure, but doesn't have a GPL license?

GPL = Free as in free speech, not necessarily Free as in Free beer.

The 4 freedoms from http://www.gnu.org/

* The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).

* The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

* The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).

* The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

The Creator of PHLAK is a very good friend of mine that I have known my whole life, James and Shawn both moved and got hired by other companies. PHLAK was a very good distro , I was responsible for getting them a feature on the screen savers back in techtv days. They are not behind the selling of this, and they have forgone their domain due to too many GOV/MIL type intrests that made them a bit paranoid. Dont ever purchase this as they are not getting money from this, thus they took all offline, pm me if you want their last FATMAN or LITTLEBOY version