Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
10nix

Google Chrome

43 posts in this topic

I tried it out. Opened a youtube video. Whole thing crashed (not just the tab, like they said). Wasn't impressed, but wasn't unimpressed enough to get rid of it, either.

Have to say, the AdblockPlus extension for Firefox is more or less the killer app in my book. As long as there is nothing else available for any other browser, I will very likely stay with Firefox. Every so often when I use a computer without FF/ABP, I am shocked and appalled at what an ugly, blinking, flashy, stupid place the Internet has become.

Have to say, the AdblockPlus extension for Firefox is more or less the killer app in my book

I just made that argument to someone I work with.

Have to say, the AdblockPlus extension for Firefox is more or less the killer app in my book

I just made that argument to someone I work with.

Wow...I did the exact same thing yesterday with some coworkers. Great minds think alike!

I put chrome on a virtual machine just to have it to test/play. I would never use it as my browser. Google will never have ad-blocking as an option..at least not their own ads. They might allow blocking of other companies ads, but not their own.

I have to say that while I'm extremely ambivalent about Google as a company, I draw the line at giving them open access to my own personal business in the form of desktop applications.

Google's ultimate goal of "The Internet is the OS" is a big load of CRAP in my opinion.

Chrome uses BSD 2-clause license, I mainly just checked out Chrome to see if it sent information back to google besides the standard beta information which I signed up for.

Read the Google Chrome EULA:

10. License from Google

10.1 Google gives you a personal, worldwide, royalty-free, non-assignable and non-exclusive license to use the software provided to you by Google as part of the Services as provided to you by Google (referred to as the “Software” below). This license is for the sole purpose of enabling you to use and enjoy the benefit of the Services as provided by Google, in the manner permitted by the Terms.

10.2 You may not (and you may not permit anyone else to) copy, modify, create a derivative work of, reverse engineer, decompile or otherwise attempt to extract the source code of the Software or any part thereof, unless this is expressly permitted or required by law, or unless you have been specifically told that you may do so by Google, in writing.

10.3 Unless Google has given you specific written permission to do so, you may not assign (or grant a sub-license of) your rights to use the Software, grant a security interest in or over your rights to use the Software, or otherwise transfer any part of your rights to use the Software.

That ain't no BSD 2-clause.

This is the BSD 2-clause license:

Copyright 1994-2008 The FreeBSD Project. All rights reserved.

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE FREEBSD PROJECT ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE FREEBSD PROJECT OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

Quite different, isn't it?

umm if you look at Chromium it's a 2-clause BSD style license and the Google EULA that you posted is for the binary not the source code so have a good day and learn products better

Then what is the definition of "open source" software?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Source_Definition

Then Google Chrome is a derivative product of an open source project, but the browser itself is not an open source application according to the above linked definition.

Edited by Colonel Panic

Google Chrome is amazing. I'm really in love with it already. Aside from the icognito novelty the most important feature to it is the sandboxing.

Sandboxing in google chrome provides so much more security than firefox and ie. I really like the clean look to it also.

Fuck that google Chrome!

opera_rules.jpg

Yay, A fellow Opera user. :wub:

Maybe someone already brought this up but i was too lazy to check. But arent you a little worried about the "google being snitches" accusations? I mean i am a little bit.

Maybe someone already brought this up but i was too lazy to check. But arent you a little worried about the "google being snitches" accusations? I mean i am a little bit.

I agree, despite google's "do no evil" philosophy, i promote decentralization and mistrust of authority. Power corrupts, period. google is a juggernaut, no doubt, and the internet has become overly dependent on it.

http://valleywag.com/378444/did-you-sign-g...ood-youre-fired

I agree, despite google's "do no evil" philosophy, i promote decentralization and mistrust of authority. Power corrupts, period. google is a juggernaut, no doubt, and the internet has become overly dependent on it.

http://valleywag.com/378444/did-you-sign-g...ood-youre-fired

I hear you. I'm actually pretty pissed at google for this.

I installed it yesterday on my Windows partition, it is significantly faster than Firefox or IE. I'll stick with it.

I'm running Chrome (through Privoxy to kill the ads) alongside Firefox, and it is quite noticeably faster.