Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rakshit

How to add up shell environment in Windows XP

14 posts in this topic

Is Their a way to add SHell Environment in Windows XP ??

Iam Running Perl mcpan utility to install perl packages like Crypt::DES etc

since this utility is incorporated with make / make install command which is available unless we are in a shell Environment!

Is their a way to get the make command working in winxp?

I think what you are looking for is Cygwin. It is a program for Windows which acts as a linux command line system. It will allow you to install and use most linux programs fairly easily. I have used it with perl before and had good results.

EDIT: I think it is worth noting that you would do all of your execution in Cygwin, although you could edit with a program running in Windows by accessing the folder directly. (Cygwin sets up a file folder structure based in C:\Cygwin by default)

-Light

Edited by light

cygwin is a piece of shit, you're better off just grabbing vmware and doing a small linux install with the tools you need and using that.

Seriously, Cygwin is no use... No VI , no proper use of shell their......... I already have linux... , i just wanted to have a shell environt ment in windows also , so that i cud run my ssh scripts and try out in windows too.

Vmware .. can i have its link 4 download

You have to pay the hefty vmware price, unless you are willing to pirate.

Why don't you try out virtualbox.

i - install activestate perl <- why are you using cygwin

ii - startup the perl package manager (ppm.bat = gui, ppm-shell.bat = cli)

iii - add the theoryx.uwinnipeg and other non-standard repositories (bribes.org for example)

iv - install the package you need with ppm or ppm-shell

Doesn't windows come with DOS? What more from a shell would you want that DOS doesn't give you? :P

But yeah, I've seen demos of cygwin and it seems like a lot of trouble for what ends up being a still fairly hacked-together approximation of *nix functionality. virtual box plus Linux would be so much more satisfying. I have also played around with some success with Qemu.

Qemu

VirtualBox

For just getting a shell to play around with, try Slackware; it does not default into X so you can stay in the shell as much as you want.

You have to pay the hefty vmware price, unless you are willing to pirate.

Why don't you try out virtualbox.

huh vmware is free the workstation is not but the server and the player are free so you don't have to pay anything

Doesn't windows come with DOS?

No, DOS is no longer supplied with any system newer than Windows Me.

Edited by WhatChout

umm yeah DOS is suppiled with systems longer the Windows 98 anything above Windows ME doesn't have True DOS

huh vmware is free the workstation is not but the server and the player are free so you don't have to pay anything

Actually, you have that backwards. VMWare Server is free, Workstation is not. The player is also free, but not of much use if you want to install your own stuff (you cannot use it to set up new VMs).