DrakeAnubis

Macintosh SE with SD

5 posts in this topic

I suddenly have an old Macintosh SE. And I thought it would be fun to replace the hard drive with an SD card, but I'm not sure if it would work.

I think it's a SCSI harddrive (like 20mb) and they probably make SD adapters for it. But I don't know if it's possible for the operating system to use the new space.

Any thoughts?

Depending on the addressing modes it uses, it might not be able to address a large flash drive anyway. A quick google gives me this, it seems related. Doesn't seem trivial though. It would be great if it used IDE instead. Compact Flash to IDE required only an adapter I think, no extra electronics or chips.

CF and IDE are electronically compatible, SCSI is a fairly complex protocol.. a language even, which would need to be emulated by any CF->SCSI converter you can find...

I own a Mac SE HD, You'll soon notice how unorthodox the screws are for the system, you'll need to buy a special screw driver... post lots of pix ;)

Actually, I'm getting a Floppy with a flashing quesiton mark error now, on boot up. I'm not sure how to fix it.

Anyone have expierence with Maciontosh SE(s)?

Only pieces of the Mac OS were embedded in ROM... if you replaced the hard disk, you'll need to obtain the OS 6/7 installation diskettes.