Aghaster

OpenSolaris 2008.5

44 posts in this topic

W00t i got mine today in the mail. i am super excited i tried it out seems to be pretty good i got to config the wifi card and all but so far i like it. :D

W00t i got mine today in the mail. i am super excited i tried it out seems to be pretty good i got to config the wifi card and all but so far i like it. :D

Let me know how things for your wifi card, you need to install gcc and a couple of tools in order to compile ndiswrapper for solaris. In my case, for some reason, when the makefile calls flex, flex crashes with an internal error and gives no hint. I did not have the time to investigate further what is happening.

Long time no reply? Where is everybody gone? I'm bringing back the topic. Today while I was at my university's library I saw a really nice book: "Programming Solaris Applications". The book is very recent, and looked very nice, so I borrowed it :). Also, I just found this Sun Microsystems t-shirt on ebay, for $10, cheap! I think I'll get one.

What I'll do so far is use OpenSolaris in VirtualBox on my Linux system, as it runs quite smoothly. I'm currently downloading Sun Studio 12.

I was thinking about trying to install the SPARC version of OpenSolaris in qemu on Linux, as the qemu website says the SPARC architecture is now fully supported as a guest system. However, SPARC64 is still in development stages in qemu. In fact, there is a project dedicated to making OpenSolaris compatible both as guest and host OS with qemu, here. I've started reading the book, "Solaris Application Programming", it turns out to be very interesting. The more I read the more I get excited about all this :)

I've had a bit of problems with this version of OpenSolaris, I think it might be my specs. I tried booting it on an older computer and it didn't get past the dots across the top of the screen at the very beginning after grub. Then I tried it on a better computer and it got barely past that. Then I tried it on virtualbox and virtualbox crashed... this thing is not being nice to the doctor :(

I've had a bit of problems with this version of OpenSolaris, I think it might be my specs. I tried booting it on an older computer and it didn't get past the dots across the top of the screen at the very beginning after grub. Then I tried it on a better computer and it got barely past that. Then I tried it on virtualbox and virtualbox crashed... this thing is not being nice to the doctor :(

...what?? In the case that your hardware was totally unsupported (still very weird) VirtualBox should have worked. When you boot on the CD, it boots on it so you see GRUB with different options you can choose, try choosing the text console installation if for some reason it crashes with the GUI installation. What hardware do you have? Maybe try downloading an .iso and using the .iso in VirtualBox instead of the CD would work, if it does, then your CD is scratched.

I found out that my university provides access to Solaris machines, even from home, through ssh.

==========================================================================

Concordia University Faculty of Engineering and Computer Science

Unauthorized access is strictly forbidden.

For assistance: e-mail: <helpdesk@encs.concordia.ca>

For information: web: http://www.encs.concordia.ca

==========================================================================

[solaris] [/home/username] > uname -a

SunOS solaris.concordia.ca 5.9 Generic_122300-29 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-280R Solaris

[solaris] [/home/username] >

I've removed information revealing the hostname or my username :P This is quite cool, I have a SPARC system at my disposal anytime :)

i myself have had trouble with

the ISO under Vb as well

and the MD5 sums were good

so, eh, beats me

i myself have had trouble with

the ISO under Vb as well

and the MD5 sums were good

so, eh, beats me

Maybe this has to do with your processor, in my case when I installed it it warned me about not having a microcode patch for my AMD processor, and it could lead to serious errors. Did you also get such a warning? To understand more about microcode, check the wikipedia page. Microcode is used by processor manufacturers to patch problems that might arise after the processor has been built, without having to build a new one.

I haven't patched it, but as OpenSolaris is working fine on my computer, it must have not used what was fixed in the patch.

Maybe this has to do with your processor, in my case when I installed it it warned me about not having a microcode patch for my AMD processor, and it could lead to serious errors. Did you also get such a warning? To understand more about microcode, check the wikipedia page. Microcode is used by processor manufacturers to patch problems that might arise after the processor has been built, without having to build a new one.

I haven't patched it, but as OpenSolaris is working fine on my computer, it must have not used what was fixed in the patch.

no, i've got an Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz

and i didn't get any such warning

I would suggest going on irc.freenode.net #opensolaris and describe your problem, those guys will help you out. If you have this problem and it is not hardware related, then eventually somebody else will have the same problem, if it did not happen already.

I have received Solaris Application Programming in my mail today :)

Wintermute21 and Dr. Z2A: We really have to try to isolate the problem, can both of you post a detailed description of your specs and operating system?

Wintermute21 and Dr. Z2A: We really have to try to isolate the problem, can both of you post a detailed description of your specs and operating system?

sure,

Dell Dimension 2400

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz

1.24GB DDR SDRAM (PC2700)

Intel 82845GV video card / motherboard chipset (integrated video)

Intel AC'97 sound (integrated)

40GB HDD

160GB HDD (USB External)

Windows XP Service Pack 3

(dual boot with Kubuntu 8.04.1)

Virtual Box 2.02.

HTH

Edit: forgot about some other hardware

16x DVD-RW DL x2

Broadcom 440x Ethernet card

Intel 537EP 56k Modem

Intel 82801 USB controller

floppy drive

(more specific sound card specs:

82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller)

oh, and the Sun Hardware Detection tool

reports i should be fine

Edited by Wintermute21

sure,

Dell Dimension 2400

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz

1.24GB DDR SDRAM (PC2700)

Intel 82845GV video card / motherboard chipset (integrated video)

Intel AC'97 sound (integrated)

40GB HDD

160GB HDD (USB External)

Windows XP Service Pack 3

(dual boot with Kubuntu 8.04.1)

Virtual Box 2.02.

HTH

Can describe with the most precision you can when it crashes? Does it always crash at the exact same place, or sometimes it seems to go a little further? Do you have a spare video card? If you do have a spare video card try using that one instead, and unplug ALL peripherals or cards which aren't essential for your computer, and try booting on the disk.

Edit: I went on IRC and asked them what to do to get more information about the crash, here is what they said:

<Triskelios> aghaster: ask them to press E in GRUB and add "-vk" to the kernel line before booting. if the OS crashes it will drop into a debugger (and also print the kernel stack)

Try doing that, and then post what you can see.

if i try to boot into graphical mode,

that fails with an error message (i'll edit this and post the text of the

message when i can, i'm in the middle of Re-downloading the ISO)

and text mode i think succeeds

in spite of the fact that the Sun hardware detector said i'd be fine

haha.

and no,

i haven't got an extra video card

the power supply i've got

isn't beefy enough

i got unlucky and solaris did not support the driver for my hard drive so all i could do was the live install which worked great. o well kind of a waste of getting actual disk in the mail which only took 3 days..

i got unlucky and solaris did not support the driver for my hard drive so all i could do was the live install which worked great. o well kind of a waste of getting actual disk in the mail which only took 3 days..

Isn't the install CD also a live CD? I don't get how "live install" would work more than install, or what the difference between the two would mean. Did you get it working? I'm confused

I am also surprised that so many people report problems, I've installed it on three different computers, with completely different hardware, and it worked on all of the three.

Isn't the install CD also a live CD? I don't get how "live install" would work more than install, or what the difference between the two would mean. Did you get it working? I'm confused

I am also surprised that so many people report problems, I've installed it on three different computers, with completely different hardware, and it worked on all of the three.

well there is the live install menu that lets you nstall or choose different options or the live install that actually boots from the cd with all of the apps and ect loaded. i think it should work for my workstation but i cannot hook up to the solaris network to download anything if they have the driver but stupid netgear router needs special application to configure the network so i just have to wait till i can try someplace else. it seemed to work ok just dont have the driver for hardrive

Edited by dinscurge