Aghaster

OpenSolaris 2008.5

44 posts in this topic

Hi,

I recently posted a link on the forums for a free OpenSolaris 2008.5 CD shipped to you at no cost (you didn't know and you want yours? see the thread here). Now that some of you have ordered their install CD, it is normal to expect that you are going to play with it a little bit. That's why I'm making a new thread in *NIX and not in Linkz, because this thread will be about sharing our experience with OpenSolaris 2008.5. I took the time to install it in VirtualBox (free, works just like VMware!) with Linux as my guest OS. Here are a couple of screenshots :

post-2303-1220070552_thumb.jpg

Installation CD once booted, is in fact a Live CD with an installer just like Ubuntu.

post-2303-1220070565_thumb.jpg

The installation process

post-2303-1220070575_thumb.jpg

The login screen

post-2303-1220070594_thumb.jpg

The new OpenSolaris installation!

I'm intrigued, but I would probably have to bump ArchLinux off my hard drive to make room for this. Is there really a difference between Linux and Solaris and would you recommend putting a few hours/days into trying it out?

I'm intrigued, but I would probably have to bump ArchLinux off my hard drive to make room for this. Is there really a difference between Linux and Solaris and would you recommend putting a few hours/days into trying it out?

Many applications exist in both Linux and Solaris, such as the Gnome Desktop Environment (you can see it on the screenshot). It is a UNIX system, so you should feel very alien to it if you've used Linux before. The inside of the operating system is completely different (google for the history of UNIX systems, SunOS and Linux have completely different paths). I suggest you install it in VirtualBox first to familiarize a little bit with it and then install it as native. Also, OpenSolaris now uses ZFS as the default filesystem, unlike ext2/ext3 for most linux distributions. Google for ZFS to see all advantages it gives. Solaris boxes are used a lot for making good servers.

OpenSolaris is an initiative from Sun Microsystems to make their Solaris operating system open source, under the CDDL license. The project was initiated only a few years ago, and continues to grow. As time goes, support for x86 hardware is improved, and more stuff is added.

So yeah, I do recommend that you take some of your time to play with it.

What about the package format and repositories aghaster? (uses same deb and rpm?)

But it looks nice :)

What about the package format and repositories aghaster? (uses same deb and rpm?)

But it looks nice :)

Good question, you have to install software that will allow you to download packages from repositories. The project is called Blastwave, it is a huge collection of packages ready to be installed for Solaris/OpenSolaris. .deb and .rpm are Linux package formats, however, I know that that the .deb is used by Belenix, an OpenSolaris distribution that uses .deb packages and repositories just like debian.

So, just follow the instructions from Blastwave.org and install the tools to start downloading from their list of packages ready to install.

One question about virtual box aghaster, (Not related to opensolaris )

What type of network you are using between the host os and guest os? I am using NAT,and the guest os is assigned with an ip address,which is not actually in the host's subnet :( (I can access the internet there is no problem in this) .

But for some reason i want the guest os also be assigned with an ip address which is in the subnet of host os, and i have learned that bridging the network connection between the guest and host will solve the problem..But i have no idea about whether i can do this with virtual box,if you have any idea please share it with me.

What type of network you are using between the host os and guest os? I am using NAT,and the guest os is assigned with an ip address,which is not actually in the host's subnet :( (I can access the internet there is no problem in this) .

But for some reason i want the guest os also be assigned with an ip address which is in the subnet of host os, and i have learned that bridging the network connection between the guest and host will solve the problem..But i have no idea about whether i can do this with virtual box,if you have any idea please share it with me.

Hum... I've never cared about that, I only wanted my Virtual Machines to have access to the internet. So I do not know the answer to your question, sorry.

Not sure about VirtualBox, but with VMware's VMPlayer, you can choose which connections to bridge when you run the initial configuration script.

Not sure about VirtualBox, but with VMware's VMPlayer, you can choose which connections to bridge when you run the initial configuration script.

Last night i tired to create a bridge, we should use virtualbox host interface, and tap in the host os, i found this http://www.savvyadmin.com/tag/wireless/ ,i played with the kernel's routing table and lost my internet connection :D (lol)..

I haven't successfully completed it, but for sure i will give another try!!

[sorry aghaster i changed the theme of the discussion :D ]

Edited by SAGA

[sorry aghaster i changed the theme of the discussion :D ]

Thanks for hijacking my thread! Joking. I'll make sure it goes back to the original subject soon, I'm installing it as native now and I've experienced some problems because of the presence of my Linux swap on the same hard disk.

But hey, I'll be triple booting OpenSolaris with Debian and Windows XP. When Solaris 10 came out, I was able to install it on the same hard disk as Windows even thought the current OpenSolaris installation guide says that the version of Solaris 10 I had could not co-exist with other operating systems on the same hard disk. I had to play with installing GRUB on a partitions not the MBR. This time I should be able to use only one bootloader (not one on the MBR + one on the partition) as the installation guide says it can.

Okay, I got it working on my laptop, and my Windows and Linux partitions are untouched. Windows is automatically added to the new GRUB installation but Linux is not, so that's why you need to backup your Linux menu.lst so you can add it to the opensolaris' menu.lst (which is located in /rpool/boot/grub/menu.lst). If you have a Linux swap on the same hard disk where you want to install opensolaris, you must make your new solaris partition before it, and you have to change the partition ID for your swap before launching the installer, because it will cause problems during installation (installation will crash at like 38%). You can use fdisk for that, or simply format the swap partition to anything and then recreate your swap after installation.

Now, let the fun begin with the third party driver installation.

So, GRUB in open solaris can't detect existing GRUB of Debian? GRUB is not detecting the existing GRUB?

Edited by SAGA

Using NAT effectively sets up a second IP address on the host, that is on the subnet where your VM lives. The host then acts as a gateway, NAT-ing the VM onto the "real" network. Bridging the VM would, in theory, give it full info on the same network as the host (assuming DHCP or manually providing IP info).

In all honesty, bridged networking in virtualbox is so convoluted and bass-ackwards to set up, that it always makes me uninstall and use VMWare instead.

Shades i do agree with your point, its really awkward to set up a bridge with virtualbox ,my guest os is xp and the host is fedora core 9.After lot of trouble i finally got the network working....

And i got a script, and it made my work little bit easier , (i have attached that script), we need parprouted a small package and tun utils......

One of my friend in IRC helped me to do that.......

arpproxy.txt

I gave opensolaris a try a few weeks ago when I was building virtual machines for the Defcon CTF since I knew there was going to be sparc machine. I really don't like using livecd's that have all the features and thought it was way too much like ubuntu. It didn't give me enough options or not let me deal with gnome (which I hate). I was looking to get a minimal install that was commandline only with some development and disassembly tools installed and eventually just gave up and decided not to bother with it.

So, GRUB in open solaris can't detect existing GRUB of Debian? GRUB is not detecting the existing GRUB?

OpenSolaris just installs its own GRUB, I'm not sure but I think it is slightly modified from the Linux GRUB (I *think* the Linux GRUB cannot boot OpenSolaris, but I'm not sure on that one). The installer automatically detects Windows but does not try to handle it for Linux, but that's not much of a problem. As the installation guide says, just backup your current GRUB's menu.lst and then edit the new GRUB to add your Linux entries.

Will OpenSolaris run a on a dual Xeon workstation? If so, what would be some good projects to try? There's a Dell Precision 650 at my local Goodwill. If the processors are still installed, it should have two 2.8 Ghz Xeons.

OpenSolaris probably has "nearly" as much support as linux does; and is probably equal to BSD support for computers; thus it should run on your IA64.

And another thing is, it's compliant to the SUS (Single UNIX Specification) which neither BSD/Linux conforms to.

I'd opt for it as a main OS.

(I only run O/S and FreeBSD now :P!)

Edited by oddflux

I have received my CD today :) It is installed natively on my laptop, I still have to install some drivers for it though.

Will OpenSolaris run a on a dual Xeon workstation? If so, what would be some good projects to try? There's a Dell Precision 650 at my local Goodwill. If the processors are still installed, it should have two 2.8 Ghz Xeons.

It will very likely run on your Xeon workstation. The best way to find out if it will run is to download the install CD which is also a Live CD. Boot on the CD, on the desktop you should see a tool for identifying your hardware and to tell you if there is built-in support for it. If some of your hardware is listed as unsupported, don't worry, check out the HCL (hardware compatibility list) to see if there are third party drivers that you could install.

EDIT: I'm listening to a Sun webcast, and they say that Intel is collaborating with Sun to make sure that the OS will use all the features of their Xeon processors, so you should really have no problem, in fact, you have a great machine for running opensolaris ;) Here is a webcast dedicated to that.

I've installed the driver for my network card (wired) and it works. I've installed Blastwave but I still need to know how to configure my path permanently (should be trivial). Next step is to compile ndiswrapper 1.2 for solaris, and then I should be able to install the driver for my wireless card (BCM4318) which is said to be supported on the solaris ndiswrapper website. By the way, I found this OpenSolaris Ad on youtube. I like the software, but the ad sucks. The guy does not speak fluently and corrects itself, and the only argument given is that it is free XD.

EDIT: I just found that opensolaris maintains a huge repository of software, just like Blastwave, but comes installed with opensolaris. You can use the pkg tool to install those packages. The list of software for that repository is available pkg.opensolaris.org.

EDIT 2: Also, sunfreeware.com has a lot of software packages ready to install. I found nano 2.0.8 there, it does not come with solaris. It is not available in pkg.opensolaris.org and the version on blastwave is quite old.

EDIT 3: Also, check this out. It is an archive containing 37 ebooks on how to use Solaris. The one I was more interested in is the OpenSolaris System Administration Guide, which seems to be covering most of what I want to know first.

EDIT(N): Am I alone having fun with this?

It will very likely run on your Xeon workstation. The best way to find out if it will run is to download the install CD which is also a Live CD. Boot on the CD, on the desktop you should see a tool for identifying your hardware and to tell you if there is built-in support for it. If some of your hardware is listed as unsupported, don't worry, check out the HCL (hardware compatibility list) to see if there are third party drivers that you could install.

EDIT: I'm listening to a Sun webcast, and they say that Intel is collaborating with Sun to make sure that the OS will use all the features of their Xeon processors, so you should really have no problem, in fact, you have a great machine for running opensolaris ;) Here is a webcast dedicated to that.

i bought the workstation. I got the xp login and when I boot, it says something about a degraded RAID array.

On the OpenSolaris front, the LiveCD hangs during the hardware probe. It looks like it's a graphics issue. Text seems to work. The graphics hardware is a Nvidia Quadro NVS 400.

Gonna look in to this more after work.

Edited by lostbaka

i bought the workstation. I got the xp login and when I boot, it says something about a degraded RAID array.

On the OpenSolaris front, the LiveCD hangs during the hardware probe. It looks like it's a graphics issue. Text seems to work. The graphics hardware is a Nvidia Quadro NVS 400.

Gonna look in to this more after work.

I think there is a solaris driver that comes with it, otherwise you may want to try the one directly from nvidia.com, here. Also, have you searched on the opensolaris.org forums for a similar issue?

i haven't checked the forum.

The HCL does support this machine but with a different video card. By the looks of it, before it came to Goodwill, this workstation was used to watch the stock market and so the original video card was replaced for the NVS 400 multiple display card.

The HCL mentions other NVS cards but not the 400.

How would use the newest drivers if the livecd hangs during the hardware probe?

i haven't checked the forum.

The HCL does support this machine but with a different video card. By the looks of it, before it came to Goodwill, this workstation was used to watch the stock market and so the original video card was replaced for the NVS 400 multiple display card.

The HCL mentions other NVS cards but not the 400.

How would use the newest drivers if the livecd hangs during the hardware probe?

I have no idea, really. But I think you mentioned that it works in text mode? I would suggest that you use the text mode to install opensolaris and then edit xorg.conf so that it uses the vesa driver. I think maybe there would be a way to force the use of the vesa driver at installation time, and that would probably be better.

EDIT: this seems to be exactly what you are looking for.