Irongeek

Decoding Recorded Dial Tones

10 posts in this topic

Let's say you had a recording (mp3, wav or ogg) of someone typing in their pin number on a phone. Do you know of any software that could take this as an input and reproduce the numbers corresponding to the tones?

I am sure you can write your own script for this. This would be an interesting little project. The easiest thing would be to start out by gathering all the sounds made by each key and putting that data into a dictionary. You then read the sound file with the pin and match the familiar data with a key. I am not to sure where you would start. Maybe your best bet is to look at a sound/media module.

Edited by SwartMumba

All depends on the type of tone. If its DTMF, then most definetly you can, there is a program for linux called Multimon which amongst other things will decode DTMF. There are tons of Windows warez for decoding DTMF

hth

RP

I know one good one that can even do real time. I'll post a link asap I get my PC working again.

Whenever I need to convert touchtones, I call upon my good friend SSCU. 410-362-9903/9907, *7 + up to eleven or so touchtones + #. * clears the numbers for another entry.

Here's another one, too; 202-575-9906.

Decoding pre-recorded DTMF is best done by ear, then confirmed via reliable DTMF decoding equipment/software. If I were to decode DTMF, I'd listen to each tone, then listen to the same estimated tone in my other ear via a tone dialer or telephone. This is often necessary with low or distorted DTMF.

Good thoughts with the DTMF but when you are typing a pin for a voice mail is that really DTMF? I am asking because I do not know. If it is then it should not be very difficult to get someones pin.

Let's say you had a recording (mp3, wav or ogg) of someone typing in their pin number on a phone. Do you know of any software that could take this as an input and reproduce the numbers corresponding to the tones?

http://www.baycom.org/~tom/ham/linux/multimon.html

Normally captures from soundcard, but I'd be pretty sure that you could loop-back a PCM sample into it.

Cheers,

Mungewell.

Good thoughts with the DTMF but when you are typing a pin for a voice mail is that really DTMF? I am asking because I do not know. If it is then it should not be very difficult to get someones pin.

Dual Tone Multi Frequency (DTMF) is the technical term for "Touch Tone"

Touch Tone used to be a trademark for AT&T (when they billed you an extra $2 a month for it) and could only be used by them, but "DTMF" was used in any technical documentation. Other independent carriers like GTE used to call the service other names that were close like "tele touch" - but in 1984 AT&T gave the Touch Tone name up into the public domain.

As a result, you hear all these terms tossed around - but DTMF is Touch Tone is Tele touch - Technically It's all the same standard worldwide.

For a somewhat more comprehensive look, check out this Wikipedia link.

L