ThoughtPhreaker

The New York phantom exchanges

11 posts in this topic

The 212-394 and 212-955 exchanges belong to some really weird acting 4ESSes in the Manhattan district. Most people calling these will be dumped to a recording telling you that the call can't be completed with your carrier access code. As some of you might remember, I've talked about these exchanges before. What i haven't mentioned, though, is that you can get past that block. If you're calling from a POTS line, the easiest way to get past the 394 block is to dial a carrier access code before the number. Usually, it's 10-15-483, or 10-16-963. There's other ways, such as sending sending an ANI fail to an MCI *cough* Verizon phone card.

The 955 exchange is a little weirder, though. Some people tell me that VoIP providers sometimes let you through without any problem. If you're calling from the same phone card I mentioned above, and send CPN from within the New York area (for whatever it's worth, the card platform sends all it's calls out through a bunch of T1s in the Manhattan), it'll let you get past the block. Experiment with whatever you have that can place calls -- I'm willing to bet there's plenty of other ways that'll let you drop in on that exchange.

It gets better, too. Once you actually get access to the exchange, finding things to call is another story. I've been scanning the hell out of 212-394 recently, and even down to 9500, the only working number I've found is 212-394-9901. Like most of you who've gotten their hands wet in the New York area know, that's usually where the verification recording is. This particular number is a recording, but it's not used for exchange verification. I'll leave it as a prize for those who can reach the exchange. I haven't played around with the 955 exchange much, but if you ever get a chance, too, it's even weirder. When you dial 955-9901, you'll get a verification recording, but it's never the one for the 4ESS, and almost never the same one.

Any thoughts? :)

That's interesting... two NXX codes that are pretty much empty except for 9901?

I tried both numbers on my landline, which is subscribed to Verizon LD already. I also tried with the carrier codes you gave as well. No matter what I tried, I got the recordings on both 394-9901 and 955-9901 ("call cannot be reached with the carrier access code") as you've mentioned. The second one gave the tandem ID as "132-A1". If you know the NYC area, 132 is the number for the NYC LATA.

I'll try later and be creative and see if I can get anywhere else. :) VOIP, pre and post-paid calling cards, etc.

Thanks for the challenge.

That's interesting... two NXX codes that are pretty much empty except for 9901?

So far. Can't be sure quite yet, though.

Thanks for the challenge.

Well, I guess it could be a challenge :) . In that case, I'll just say this; if you're going to buy, say, a calling card or something to that extent for this unless you think you'll be using it for something else, too.

I got through to both #'s, The 212-394 one was particularly silly, considering what it normally gives. Kinda reminds me of a number that used to be around in the 914 NPA that would either tell you to dial one and the number, or that it was not necessary to dial one depending on if you preficed the number with one or not...

The 212-955-9901 is really very neat. If I get the chance I'll try to scan out some of the #'s.

I just routed the call through the NY SIP server for one of my VoIP providers.

companies actually use these exchanges I used to get called by one company that used one of the exchanges all the time never said anything though it's mostly a fake product or something they try to sell

one of the 212 numbers actually goes to these people http://www.econometricsociety.org

Edited by kitche

I just routed the call through the NY SIP server for one of my VoIP providers.

Nice :) . Anybody else wanna take a stab at it?

By the way, there's another exchange out there like this one; 212-936. I'm really just playing this by ear right now. I have a hunch, but I haven't the faintest what's actually going on.

companies actually use these exchanges I used to get called by one company that used one of the exchanges all the time never said anything though it's mostly a fake product or something they try to sell

A fake product? It's interesting that you might say that. I remember seeing a few listings on Superpages a while back, but they'd all hit the same recording. If you google the exchange, you just come up mostly with what looks like typos.

http://www.google.com/search?q=212-394-000...lient=firefox-a

http://www.google.com/search?q=212-955-000...hs=4zX&sa=2

Direct from a Verizon Cell phone in Chicago:

*SIT* We're sorry, it is not necessary to dial a carrier access code for the number you have dialed. Please hang up and dial your call again

Direct from an AT&T business land line in Chicago:

(messy with noise and message playing echo'd in background.)

*SIT* We're sorry, the number you dialed cannot be reached with the carrier access code you dialed, please check the code and try again or call your carrier for assistance. (shouting) 13201

Edited by BrakeDanceJ

There are many other phantom exchanges in Manhattan that I know of. I live there, so I am able to dial out locally. Perhaps some of these will return other interesting results if dialed in from the LD network.

212-200, 212-470, and 212-960 all have seemingly no working numbers with perhaps a few exceptions (I'll leave those for you guys to find).

For any other new york city phone phreaks, the Broad Street office houses many interesting and bizzare test numbers, many of which you can only terminate to locally.

Edited by Jason B

For any other new york city phone phreaks, the Broad Street office houses many interesting and bizzare test numbers, many of which you can only terminate to locally.

Do you mean from within the switch itself, or just from within the New York network?

Also, since this doesn't seem to be working how I expected it to, i'll give away what I think is going on with these exchanges. 212-955 numbers look to accept the call from wherever you are, so long as you're setting a valid 212 number as one of your ANI fields, I think CPN. Except if you're calling from Sprint. 212-394 is a completely different scenario. For the longest time, the only way you could get to the exchange was by dialing one of the Verizon CACs I mentioned in my first post, or *possibly* Global Crossing. Then, all of the sudden, it started working for me about a few weeks ago with Qwest long distance, so I started to keep an eye on it. In a day or two, the 4E refused to take calls from Qwest customers, but opened up to a *lot* of carriers. AT&T, MCI, generic weird VoIP providers. Except for Sprint, though. These 4Es really don't like Sprint for some reason.

I dialed in from the UK (my provider is BT) and all I got (and this includes ThoughtPhreakers valid number) is: "You can not dial with the carrier code you entered please speak to your long distance provider for more information" then it cleared down. Tried CID spoofing your number so you appear to be coming from that switch?

From my understanding both 212-394 and 212-955 terminate to a tandem, indicated by the T in the CILLI code they both share: NYCMNY3706T. This would explain your lack of being able to normally terminate to them with the exception of using another specific carrier.

-- Lord 0xf