Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
techie67

School Computers

45 posts in this topic

At my high school every student gets a laptop but we do not have admin accounts is there any way to get the admin password so i can have access to it

if there is any way please let me know thx.

Ophcrack. Or guess common ones, like your room number, the school's division code or whatnot.

USE EDR WinTerminals.

boot up and run the lock smith program. Then change the Password to want ever you want.

or use a live cd of Linux with any cracking program and run that.

At my high school every student gets a laptop but we do not have admin accounts is there any way to get the admin password so i can have access to it

you could use the tools listed below or just not break into someone elses property mess around with your own pc's not someone elses

-E

You don't by chance go to Milton Hershey School, do you?

You don't by chance go to Milton Hershey School, do you?

nope

USE EDR WinTerminals.

boot up and run the lock smith program. Then change the Password to want ever you want.

or use a live cd of Linux with any cracking program and run that.

I dont want to change the password i just want to know it cause if i change it they will know

I'd just use a Linux Live CD with it. That way, you're not modifying their hardware or software (and are less likely to be accused of "hacking").

I'd just use a Linux Live CD with it. That way, you're not modifying their hardware or software (and are less likely to be accused of "hacking").

I have to agree there. If you get an admin password, its because you want to do admin things. Now if anything goes wrong because of your newfound power, you're in deep shit. They might revoke the laptop entirely. Or maybe worse. So why risk it?

Use a Linux LiveCD paired with a USB thumb drive. Or just don't mess with someone else's property.

I would advise just sticking to doing your school work on your laptop and not risking your education over something trivial. You have your whole life to be tackling security and learning about it (you do want to learn right?), your school time is precious and shouldn't be wasted. Get an education first, worry about getting wow or facebook on your laptop second!

If you're desperate to be admin on your laptop, and you have solid reasons to be, go and speak to you school network admin. Propose your point for being admin (if it's for something productive) and he'll/she'll probably help you out.

Good luck.

SShBlack.

I just wanted to say: please, oh please, listen to the advice in this thread. Your school has far too much information on you for you to consider them any kind of target.

I had a friend who was caught and kicked out of his school a couple months ago. The news article read something like "___ _____ high school attacked by hackers. The hackers gained access to sensitive information on over 500 students as well as many staff members..... The hackers also had access to credit card numbers, account login and passwords, and other personal detail of many staff.... It does not seem like the hackers were interested in financial gain.... 4 of the hackers' computers were confiscated by police are being searched.... Because only none of the hackers were over the age of 18.... Many kids who are hackers often have an above average intelligence."

Reality: my friend found an sql vuln in his school's db, told a couple friends, and they logged onto a couple teacher accounts, were caught by a background process, and were then kicked out and had charges pressed against them.

advice: get a cheap used laptop that can do whatever this one can't.

I wouldn't be messing with that laptop either. The middle school students get laptops (Macbooks) here as well, but the admin staff isn't shy about taking these away for the smallest infractions. If they even think you're trying to get admin privs, install software or do anything fishy, they'll take it away for some time or permanently. Remember, laptops are an expensive and limited resource that is out of hands of the underpaid and overworked IT staff of your school. Messing with them in any way is a bad idea.

I never really saw the point of these laptops though. When governor King announced the state-wide laptop program here in Maine way back in 2000, I didn't really get it either. What do kids use these laptops for? I'm betting a good 90% of them have computers at home, there are computer labs at the schools and computers already in the classroom. A program that helps poor families buy home computers would have been a much better idea. I'm sure everyone can afford a USB drive to carry files around as well. Kids can now do their work at school and home for a tiny fraction of the cost. And the cost is quite high as well. Not only are the laptops expensive, but most schools have to hire at least one more IT staff just to manage the things.

So I guess my question is this: what do you use the laptops for that's so important? Why can't you just wait to get to the computer lab or home to do work on the computer?

sshblack said:

I would advise just sticking to doing your school work on your laptop and not risking your education over something trivial. You have your whole life to be tackling security and learning about it (you do want to learn right?), your school time is precious and shouldn't be wasted. Get an education first, worry about getting wow or facebook on your laptop second!

computer security != wow or facebook :P

Ohm said:

So I guess my question is this: what do you use the laptops for that's so important? Why can't you just wait to get to the computer lab or home to do work on the computer?

The college I go to has a high school program. All these high school kids were given laptops. When it comes to use, I would say 10% of them use their laptops in class to take notes. Outside class, and during breaks of long classes, most of them whip out their laptops and head straight for myspace or facebook.

I agree with you. The money for these laptops can be better spent.

Edited by SwartMumba

Silly me, taking notes on pencil and paper.

Just a guess here, but maybe its a copyright thing? Schools tend to teach microsoft office, and photoshop which are both too expensive for people to purchase for home use.

Just a guess here, but maybe its a copyright thing? Schools tend to teach microsoft office, and photoshop which are both too expensive for people to purchase for home use.

Buying a license for Office and a laptop is somehow less expensive than just a license for Office? Schools also get a great deal on Office (else they might teach some other Office suite), so that's really not an issue.

Buying a license for Office and a laptop is somehow less expensive than just a license for Office? Schools also get a great deal on Office (else they might teach some other Office suite), so that's really not an issue.

I meant that Since laptops are school equipment and can be all covered under the same license, they could teach these apps without encouraging kids to go home and pirate them. It definately would not be cheaper for the school. It would however be a reason to use the school laptop instead of their home computer.

and techie67, is there something you want to do that you need administrator access? Or is it just for S and Gs?

computer security != wow or facebook :P

You know what I mean! I'm sure he's tackling security in the hopes of accessing facebook or something restricted. :)

Wow, you guys are pretty lucky, if you knew how to get to your Start Menu in my school you were already called a hacker by everyone. Let alone everyone getting a Laptop? We were lucky to get access to 1 desktop computer and this was about Two years ago.

Wow, they give you laptops, That's absolutely braindead. I just hope that they don't let you take them home.

I think'll take a look at this in a way nobody else has seemed to. Not to rip on the OP, well not /to/ hard, but isn't this kind of ungrateful on your part? I mean, you literally just began your school year and the school's nice/niave enough to give a laptop, and all you want to do is break into it? Just so you can get on myspace or some other shit, or maybe install Cain & Abel and then go parading about the network with adolescent bravado, you know, deleting directories with impunity, screwing with teachers worksheets and grades (depending on the system you use). Then when thats all done, you go and brag about it to your freinds as your sorry ass gets hauled into the vice principle's office and he tries to explain to your hohlraum of a head that because you decided to go on your little victory dance through the servers, you charged hours of work to an underpaid woefully understaffed IT Department.

But wait, it won't stop there. After you get suspended (or expelled, depending on what you would decide to do) you come back (maybe) to find that every computer is gutted, they all have been electrically eviscerated and even though you know physically CAN'T do anything with the computer, they still put massive restrictions on everything. Now when you want to go do research for project, you need to have the URL apporved by a teacher, and you need to be monitored constantly.

Sorry for the two paragraphs of smoke and fire, but in the end, trying to get Admin privs on a school machine is just a waste of time. There's nothing really interesting (other than grades, and more often than not, those are stored in a seperate location) on their network and if you wanted to get admin privs in order install some game or whatever, those computers are usually so cheap that they will have trouble running M$ Word.

It's easy to reak havoc, I mean it is really easy but it is also incredibly immature (but fun...o_0) and it ends up being way more trouble than it's worth.

In short, even if you do get in, you will be caught, punished and the entire community will suffer.

Just be a good little techy and experiment on your own machine.

When I first started out, I didn't have a computer at home. The closest thing that we had to a computer was an alarm clock. My middle school had Apple IIs and boxes running Windows for Workgroups 3.11. Since I didn't have a computer, I messed with the ones at school.

Information is meant to be free. Go ahead and do what you want to your laptop. It's what I would do.

I'm going to advise to do exactly what you shouldn't do: fuck around with it all you want. I got in a LOT of trouble in high school. I'm talking SERIOUS trouble. Interrogations, lie detector tests, FBI, things of that nature. It was scary. It was thrilling. It was a life experience that I never want to go through again, but one I wouldn't trade for the world.

Now I'm mid level college student at a good university, so it obviously didn't ruin my life. Plus, I'm surrounded by people more talented than I am, but I have MUCH better stories than anyone I have met as of yet. iPhone kid has shit on me!

AS a High School admin my advise would be to go and talk to the admins. I have a few kids that are learning a lot with my help. I'm not showing them how to break into banks or do anything illegal but if they want to mess with security stuff I let them set up a few comps and go for it. They are on a seperate part of my network so they are not connected to the main servers and such. Just go and talk to them and tell them what you want to do. They may help you out.

Information is meant to be free. Go ahead and do what you want to your laptop. It's what I would do.

Keep in mind, though, that it is not technically *your* laptop. It is a laptop provided by the school for you to use. That may be a trivial distinction since the end result looks more or less the same... but it is an important one. Consider if you were lending your own personal laptop out to someone -- you would likely want them to do whatever YOU wanted them to do with it, not necessarily what THEY wanted to do with it.

Now I'm mid level college student at a good university, so it obviously didn't ruin my life.

Still pretty early on in your life. If you've got the FBI ink on your record, be aware that it will follow you around everywhere. May also tend to surface at the most inopportune times, like when they do a background check on you for that big job offer, or when you get pulled over for having a burned out taillight. The government never forgets and never forgives; and the government, with rare exception, doesn't know very much about computers and technology and, thus, may tend to feel threatened by those who do.

Keep your nose clean. You can really muck up the rest of your life if you're not careful. Sometimes that's hard to see when you're a student.

Dude, fun way to hack a school computer NEARLY INVISIBLY (except to networking stuff):

(NOTICE: Most of this stuff is untested.)

1. Set up a huge folder with a bunch of hacking utilities (I called mine hackutils) one your HOME COMPUTER, where you have control over EVERYTHING (you do, right?)
  2. Get the most recent copy of Python here.
  3. Snip out some of the code in /Lib/pydoc.py; specifically, the function serve()
  4. Change the do_GET method to serve out of your file system (whatever directory you used for the hacking stuff).
  5. Oh, yeah, make sure you either have an always-on connection, or activate yours before you go to school.
  6. Once there, use COMMAND.COM to ping your computers name, then type http://<IP ADDR>:7464/<whatever utility you want> to get that utility.
  7. REAK HAVOC AND RULE THE SERVER WITH AN IRON FIST OF PUNISHMENT!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
  8. Remember to cover your tracks when you leave your workstation.

Help on server script? Still developing mine, but you can join my DaTran project (ASK ME HOW) and help.

Edited by Gnorthup

Well dude everyone here has a great deal of knowledge about all the trouble it can get you into and yes its all true. We get a 10 day suspension for going to myspace, i cant imagine what would happen if i tried to get an Admin password for a laptop. But bottom line Live cd of linux is the best way to go. Dont fuck up your life.