Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
canr

Visual Basic

6 posts in this topic

Well I am looking at some tutorials. I see the Visual Basic 6.0 in a cleaner interface. I currently have Visual Basic 2008 Express. I am wondering whats the difference and where can I find it? Also which is better?

There is a .NET version of Visual Basic, which you can use in a multi-language program that uses many .NET language. That came with Visual Studio 2005.

Versions prior to Visual Studio 2005 will use VB, which most people know, and should look quite the same.

Also, why would you like to code VB? Is there any reason? Otherwise I would suggest you learn another language than that. Its syntax is quite different from the other languages you would probably use for a job. If you want to go for a .NET language (Microsoft) you should probably go for C#. You could also go for Java which is thought in many schools just like C#. If you do not want to use any of those modern languages that require a virtual machine or a framework, I suggest you first avoid C++ (because of bloat) and go for C right away. Many books that cover more advanced programming subjects will show you C code (UNIX, Socket/Network, Cryptography, etc). Also, many exploits are written in C. If you want to learn C, get "The C language" a.k.a the K&R. That's the classic reference to get started with. Once you're done with learning the basics, just buy another book that specializes more on a specific topic.

There is a .NET version of Visual Basic, which you can use in a multi-language program that uses many .NET language. That came with Visual Studio 2005.

Versions prior to Visual Studio 2005 will use VB, which most people know, and should look quite the same.

Also, why would you like to code VB? Is there any reason? Otherwise I would suggest you learn another language than that. Its syntax is quite different from the other languages you would probably use for a job. If you want to go for a .NET language (Microsoft) you should probably go for C#. You could also go for Java which is thought in many schools just like C#. If you do not want to use any of those modern languages that require a virtual machine or a framework, I suggest you first avoid C++ (because of bloat) and go for C right away. Many books that cover more advanced programming subjects will show you C code (UNIX, Socket/Network, Cryptography, etc). Also, many exploits are written in C. If you want to learn C, get "The C language" a.k.a the K&R. That's the classic reference to get started with. Once you're done with learning the basics, just buy another book that specializes more on a specific topic.

Well I just want to have some brief vb knowledge. So what does VB 6.0 categorize as in that case?

I took a VB6 programming class in my high school. It was such an uninteresting, un-fun language, I don't know why anybody would ever want to use it.

I don't know about VB.NET, though.

Don't even try basic. It's sort of dead. Its sort of useless. Go C# .NET I know C and C#, and when I had to learn Basic for programming my microcontrollers, it was horrid. Basic is so oversimplified, it was more confusing than some pseudo code in for example C. I hate Basic....

visual basic 6 is basically the old version before .net was created. vb.net will compile down to .net byte code where vb 6.x and below will compile to windows specific machine code. If you want VB I'd say go with .net just because previous versions are rarely used except for legacy support and will be phased out soon where .net is here to stay (at least for a while).