Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
epew23

Graphics Card wanna run wow

9 posts in this topic

I can only have a pci card so i bought the Nvidia GeForce FX 5500 for a woping 16$ on ebay. i have it working in my computer and it improved wow greatly but it still isnt as smooth as my mac book pro. I want to increase the FPS or screen refresh rate more that i can in the nvidia controls. how would i perform such an action?

The first thing that you are going to want to do is make sure you have the latest driver from nVidia.

This driver should work for your 5500

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html

Most of the settings you are going to want to change are going to be within World of Warcraft.

While in game, hit "Esc"(Escape), and and you should be given a menu with a bunch of options. One of those options should be "Video options".

You can lower the detail, etc, but I doubt your 5500fx is going to perform anything like your mac.

ok thanks i have it running relatively smooth for the time being but my point is i want to remove wow from my mac because that computer is technically for work use. what would you (or anyone on here) suggest for a good mouther board with PCI-E bus types that would fit a dimension 2400 box?

None. Don't even try to upgrade a Dell machine. Dell is famous for non-standard form factors, even if only slightly different. If you plan carefully, you can save your CPU, RAM, drives and maybe power supply, but you will probably need a new case.

Now that I've looked at the specs for the Dimension 2400, I see it has a Celeron and only 256MB of slow RAM. I don't think upgrading this machine is a route you want to take. In the end, you'll be spending more money than if you just built a new machine. You're buying a new motherboard and likely a new case anyway. The Celeron 2.4GHz in that machine is pitiful. You can get a Dual Core 2.6GHz AMD CPU for about $60 and it's probably about 3 times faster. Throw in 2 gigs of DDR2 800 for under $50 and you've tripled (or more) the performance of your machine for a little over $100 more than you would have paid for a new motherboard alone.

None. Don't even try to upgrade a Dell machine. Dell is famous for non-standard form factors, even if only slightly different. If you plan carefully, you can save your CPU, RAM, drives and maybe power supply, but you will probably need a new case.

Now that I've looked at the specs for the Dimension 2400, I see it has a Celeron and only 256MB of slow RAM. I don't think upgrading this machine is a route you want to take. In the end, you'll be spending more money than if you just built a new machine. You're buying a new motherboard and likely a new case anyway. The Celeron 2.4GHz in that machine is pitiful. You can get a Dual Core 2.6GHz AMD CPU for about $60 and it's probably about 3 times faster. Throw in 2 gigs of DDR2 800 for under $50 and you've tripled (or more) the performance of your machine for a little over $100 more than you would have paid for a new motherboard alone.

Agreed, while you're at it you could also start using 64bit.

In my experiance though, you should never even attempt to "upgrade" an OEM machine, because (if your objective is a better system) you will end up replacing pretty much everything that came with it, monitor, keyboard, mouse, PSU, CPU MB, your GPU and then you realize 'Hey, this case really sucks...' and you go out and buy that too, then Presto Chango, lo' and behold, you have a box with only about 2 or 3 of the original components. All in all, you could've just made a new box from scratch and been happier with it.

Bottom line, you can make a better machine for about $700 (not including the monitor and such) than most of the OEMs crank out and sell for around $1500. Also, it's always good to have a "beater" lying around for things like firewalls or DMZs and just experimentation in general.

Oh yeah... and the wiring schemes of EVERY OEM suck.

Hell you can make a new machine for $300 if your on a budget. If you just want something cheap that will get you going, you could check out the "dell direct sales" or the dell refurbished center for a cheap machine that will have pci-e so you can throw a better gfx card in it.

Ok so i made a list of items that should all be good with each other and i believe that this is a good deal. Here they are:

~RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEBP 1.0mm case

~Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0 gb/s

~BFG Tech GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit PCI-e 2.0

~SYBA PCI USB 2.0 4+1 port controller

~Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM

~ASRock P45TS LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

~Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core

~ZEROtherm ZEN FZ120 120mm CPU Cooler

All found on newegg for about 960 bucks!

I also was looking at pre builts what about any of thease?

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/landingpages/q...CFRoSFQodNXYWlw

Edited by 1337_snic

When you post something like this, it really helps if you post the newegg links as well. That way we can see the hardware and how much it costs.

One tip for newegg is sort by number of reviews. Narrow your search down some (for example, 8800GTS cards) then sort by number of reviews. Those with a large number of positive reviews (mostly 4's and 5's) are probably going to be good hardware. Most of the reviewers are idiots, but the law of averages handles that.

Case

Hard Drive

GPU

USB 2.0

RAM

MoBo

CPU

I think i included everything. Please take into mind this is my first time building from scratch if you please. Hopefully everything fits together minus the cause which i will modify if needed.