Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tokelokenem

Back in the 90's...

6 posts in this topic

Today I was reading Wiki's about Hacking groups and found DDP and StankDawg. I thought the name sounded familiar and remembered back when I was a kid and had the pay-as-you-go type dial-up. I would go on IRC rooms because I thought they were really cool. I remember talking to StankDawg and he asked me to join DDP. I was a kid (about 7 or 8) and didnt care. It blew my mind that i remembered him and that there was a wiki about him. If you read this i just want to say whats up, and i dont remember what username i had back then so you probably dont remember me.

But yea. Ive recently been trying to get Linux on my friends old computer, but i have Dial-up still and cant get any decent OS downloaded. I just put MenuetOS on a floppy so ill see how that goes tomorrow. PEACE. `Tokelokenem

Getting Linux is really not hard anymore. You must know someone with broadband and a burner. If not, talk to your local library or school. Explain to them you want to do download and burn some software, but it won't be run on the school/library computers at all, that's important. If they won't let you, it's probable they just don't understand what you want to do so ask to talk to whoever manages the computers there. There's probably a local LUG in your area, contact them and they'll hook you up. LUG people are Linux enthusiasts, so they're happy to be contacted and bugged for Linux CDs. Joining the LUG would be a good move too, if only for more Linux CDs ;)

MenuetOS is not Linux (looks like you know that, but I wasn't sure from how you worded it). While it's quite amazing, it's not really of any practical use or interest to anyone but the most hardcore assembly programmers. Have fun with it though, I'm sure there are plenty of things to explore with it.

Thanks for your advice. Ive been reading about MenuteOS and it dosent sound like something I want on this computer. I read about Tomsrtb but i cant find any downloads ...that arent in German.

Edited by tokelokenem

While I appreciate the respect, I never formed DDP as a group officially until the late 1990s so you are thinking of someone else recruiting you. I do not recruit often and we have very rigid invitation requirements. I do not recruit randomly.

if you can't get broadband connection to download a linux distro, either:

1. download a really small distro like slax (advanced users) or puppy (new users)

or........

2. go to a book store.

a. locate either a book or a magazine on Linux that comes with a Linux disc in the back

b. acquire book / magazine + disc

c. install on computer

or........

3. go to an online ISO store and purchase a disc or flash drive with linux on it; they will ship it to you via postal service.

hope that helps. I've done all three of those things and each one has resulted in good, clean linux fun,