Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eth0enigma

A third of new PCs being downgraded to XP

9 posts in this topic

This does not surprise me. I purchased a laptop in January that had Vista preloaded and I threw some Linux on it as soon as I got home.

Most people that I know that have used Vista have either downgraded to XP or mentioned that they want to.

With Dell now selling hardware with Ubuntu preloaded, how long is it until other manufacturers follow? Linux seems to be picking up speed as more and more people try out and dislike Vista.

There's also the reverse trend of smaller hardware. Computers are getting "fast enough," people don't always necessarily want the fastest hardware available. All the new ultra-mobile sub-notebooks show that people are willing to get something smaller, yet slower. Vista is certainly not good for this at all.

I just don't see how they could have missed one huge, glaring flaw though. Vista offers almost nothing new and requires hefty hardware upgrades. Why would anyone want that? That has to be the real reason people are downgrading.

I agree with Ohm. If the old system works, why break it?

With Win95 to Win98, or Win9* to WinXP, there were noticeable improvements on the consumer level. Win98 embraced the Internet, Win2k/XP was all about stability. For Vista, it has well documented annoyances aside from the typical broken apps, UAC being the most notable. Why they didn't adopt a less-invasive system more akin to Ubuntu's is beyond me. There are improvements in security, but these are invisible to the average user.

I'm not going to upgrade to Vista.

Edited by Seal

I doubt people will be switching to linux as linux is not as user friendly as you might think. Windows and apple has already had that. I think if Apple would come out with an affordable pc within the next 6 months, then they would be a huge competition.

Windows already has a foothold on large corporations and big business, they aren't going to toss out their Windows network. Windows Vista isn't THAT bad. Sure it has issues but with a few tweaks it can run just the way you want especially if you're not interacting directly with the OS. Does anybody remember when Windows XP first came out and how much of a crapper it was?

-FreeBSD 4 Life!

Windows already has a foothold on large corporations and big business, they aren't going to toss out their Windows network. Windows Vista isn't THAT bad. Sure it has issues but with a few tweaks it can run just the way you want especially if you're not interacting directly with the OS. Does anybody remember when Windows XP first came out and how much of a crapper it was?

-FreeBSD 4 Life!

but winxp had enhancements for the average user....vista really doesn't so why upgrade

-FreeBSD 4 Life!

but winxp had enhancements for the average user....vista really doesn't so why upgrade

Yeah, Vista just rearranged some things so you have to look for stuff you already knew in WinXP... nothing new to find though.

I doubt people will be switching to linux as linux is not as user friendly as you might think. Windows and apple has already had that. I think if Apple would come out with an affordable pc within the next 6 months, then they would be a huge competition.

Linux nowadays can be as user friendly as any other OS, it's just surrounded by myths about the constant need to use the console and other misconceptions.