Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sshblack

Help with lists

4 posts in this topic

I remembered an old google code the other day that allowed you to search website indexes for downloadable music, so it was something along the lines of:

intitle:"index.of" (mp3|mp4|avi)song.title.here -html -asp -htm -cf

I would like to know whether it is possible to amend this code to look for lists of telephone directories (nothing illegal) but lists open to the public, eg online business directories. I have searched for phone lists the usual way through google and seem to have come up empty.

Hoping someone has some advice, thanks in advance.

PS I am sure there was a previous thread about cd-rom phone lists but I couldn't find it and didn't want to hijack it. Cheers.

SShBlack.

Unfortunately not, I'm in the UK for starters and would like a more condensed version. I apologise for not being specific enough in my first post. I'm looking for a list that is in a simple format such as:

Plumbers:

A & C Plumbers - 01604354632

B & T Plumbers - 01623878878

Pipes R Us - 01827676767

etc.....

Just name and numbers. I thought that google might be able to find indexed databases/text files containing 100's if not 1000's of numbers that are open to the public. I just need the bare bones of the info, no addresses/email etc and in a simple text format.

Thanks in advance.

Well, Google is only able to find what people place on the Internet, and I've never heard about people storing phone lists in this fashion (.txt file with one line - one phone number).

The best you can hope for is searching for ""phone list" filetype:txt OR filetype:xml", it returns a couple of useful results, but, as I said, Google doesn't create content, it only indexes it, so unless someone has a very specific need to store phone numbers in the fashion you mentioned, it won't find them.

Edited by WhatChout