Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thecriscoking

Old laptop

2 posts in this topic

Hey, I'm looking for an old laptop, preferably one under 100 dollars, for pen testing (one thats very portable). I'm searching around ebay and I was just wondering what would be a good amount of HDD space and memory for some pen-testing tools. I don't believe I would need that big of a HDD especially if I was just to install a small distro of linux. Which leads me to my next questions. Besides the normal live cd's, what are some good small distros that I could install some pen-testing tools on?

Edited by thecriscoking

Check out backtrack, its a live linux distro that comes with loads and loads of pen testing apps, u can install it straight onto your harddrive or just run it off a usb disk, meaning ull never need much more memory, Ive also noticed a considerable difference when cracking passwords on an intel cpu over an amd. My 1.6gig intel laptop will crack passwords usually 20x the rate my 2.6gig amd will. You can pentest on any machine really though, I use a 166 laptop for pentesting sometimes, with backtrack(console mode usually) wifi card etc etc

Asus EEE pcs are great for pentesting as well, they have an ar5007eg athereos wifi chipset so backtrack 3 supports it for wepcracking straight out of the box(chipset support being a big problem for some people when they need to crack wep) and can often be found cheap second hand. I use to crack wep and wpa on my mums all the time, their great pentesting pc's as they're so small and portable. Anything will do really mate, iv never found linux to be very memory intensive. The only reason youd need more diskspace is for large dictionary files or rainbow tables, besides running a live distro like backtrack has its plus sides because, you dont even need a hard drive, and you leave very little, if any, local evidence.