Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thepcdude

WiFi databases

12 posts in this topic

I heard of people that wait in a business that has WiFi, and then they "gain access to a database holding customer records" etc on the WiFi. I just dont get it. I don't know why. I just can't get a clue on what that is. Do they somehow grab a list of people connected to the router and just root them all to get in xD. Any info would be appreciated.

Well, ok. I see that I am unable to phrase questions correctly. xD Ugh, I sound so nooby..........the question is..............how? *closing eyes waiting for flame*

If the business has insecure wifi, all you need to do is gain access to the wireless network (which if its open, is as easy as connecting to it :P ) and just look around the network for something ;)

Well, yeah. So lets get technical. So...I would scan the router's IP range with nmap, for example? And then what? O_o

I'm assuming shared folders? maybe? yeah, someone explain, because I want to make sure my network is 100% secure.

Edited by Ragnarok30

The main thing of any interest on open wifi networks is shared folders. Some machines have things like My Documents open to the world. If this is the case, you can browse them as if they belonged to you. If you happen to have some kind of customer list saved in there then it is open to anyone. This is normally how people get that kind of information. There are other, more involved, ways that may be available, but in 90% of cases it is probably a shared My Documents and an excel spreadsheet of customers.

Edit: Shared printers can be...interesting as well

Edited by qwertyman66

Could you elaborate a little more (without breaking any binrev rules of course!) maybe just a nudge in the right direction?

Could you elaborate a little more (without breaking any binrev rules of course!) maybe just a nudge in the right direction?

Okay, let me help you phrase that..

When I am at my moms house, she's got a HP printer that shows up as a AD HOC on a wifi scan... What's involved in connecting to that with a laptop? what about a PDA? (palm tx preferably) How can I print out an email on my PDA from my brother so she can have it?

-that help?? I think it sounds legit.. (because, in my case it is)

I'm assuming shared folders? maybe? yeah, someone explain, because I want to make sure my network is 100% secure.

Most of the time shared resources, such as shared directories. But also, if the wireless network is unencrypted, I think you could also ARP poison the host and catch the network traffic. This would allow you to analyze the network traffic and get some interesting stuff such as FTP passwords, which are sent out in clear text.

Thanks everyone, I'm finally seeing this.....

And of course, you might wanna look into WEP cracking - to test your own network, that is.

of course, if you were a real pro at doing this, you might consider buying a large wifi dish and sitting on top of a large hill outside of town, to avoid having to hang around sketchy areas with a laptop out, but were not criminals :-)