Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lelantus

BIOS security problems

5 posts in this topic

I just got my new laptop (M50Vm-b1) and set the supervisor BIOS password and the user BIOS password. I then set the BIOS user access to "view only". From this point on I cannot change any settings in BIOS because it never asks me to enter the supervisor password. I have ran tools to find the motherboard name so that I could download the BIOS ROM image from asus and flash the BIOS but I have been unsuccessful (motherboard name=unknown). Please help me either flash BIOS or use the supervisor user in BIOS.

You should just be able to use the supervisor password in place of the user password when you are prompted for the user password.

Most laptops use an EEPROM for storing the settings rather than a CMOS chip like in a desktop, so removing the battery (not the computer's main battery, but the one that is inside the computer) would only reset the real-time clock. Flashing the BIOS wouldn't work, either, because it would still see the settings in the EEPROM and apply the password.

The computer manufacturer does have the ability to reset it if you send it back, but it'll likely cost you 50 bucks (or so) plus shipping.

You should just be able to use the supervisor password in place of the user password when you are prompted for the user password.

Most laptops use an EEPROM for storing the settings rather than a CMOS chip like in a desktop, so removing the battery (not the computer's main battery, but the one that is inside the computer) would only reset the real-time clock. Flashing the BIOS wouldn't work, either, because it would still see the settings in the EEPROM and apply the password.

The computer manufacturer does have the ability to reset it if you send it back, but it'll likely cost you 50 bucks (or so) plus shipping.

I have tried that, it does not accept the supervisor password as the user password. I am pretty sure that I have been entering the correct supervisor password because I was asked to enter it twice when setting it. I don't want to sent it back to reset the password yet; I would like to pursue other options first.

There's usually a jumper to erase the eeprom. The bad news is this jumper either doesn't exist, is not documented or is buried so far in the laptop, you have to disassemble the whole thing to get at it. Tech support should know how to solve this though.

Also google around for default passwords. Sometimes there's a default password that cannot be changed or disabled. That would still work in this case.

This is the reply from Tech Support:

Hello,

You need to flash the BIOS in DOS to clear the password. Please follow the instruction on how to flash the BIOS successfully posted at: http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us.

To help us better assist you,

http://sip.asus.com/Survey/Questionnaire/Survey_[iD NUMBER REMOVED].aspx

Regards,

RL

ASUS Notebook Technical Support

The problem is that I can't find the .rom to flash the BIOS with. I think I can find the rom image if i can find my motherboard name.

--------------EDIT-----------------

Never mind, i found it. I have flashed the BIOS and it restored the user access to full access but did not wipe the passwords. That is acceptable.

Edited by Lelantus