Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NL-Stitch

Should you leave school for a Revolutionary Idea or Startup?

49 members have voted

1. 1. where do ya fit in?

• White hat
    • Black Hat
    • Gray Hat
    • I don't wear any fukking hats.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 posts in this topic

Hey all,

This topic is not really hacking related, but according to the board ("This can be pretty much anything that is -> serious<- and hacking related.") , I may post it here.

I was browsing the web yesterday and came across a website that Google has bought ; Omnosio.com (A webcast website), It has this videochannel "Startupschool", which features tips&tricks videos for (hacker) starters.

In one of the videos : http://www.omnisio.com/startupschool08/pau...artup-school-08

There where a couple of questions that made me make this post in the first place.

-06:30-> 05:30 ; Question & Awnser by Paul Graham : Should you leave school if you have a good business idea?

-05:30->04:30 ; Opinion about leaving school by someone in the audience.

Now,

My main question is: Should you leave school if you think you have a revolutionairy idea?

Use the Poll and gimme your 2 cents!!

Greetz,

No.

If you have a great idea, my opinion is to start executing it whilst in school. School provides you with a kind of safety net that will be extremely valuable in the future. Even if this idea succeeds, leaving school would be extremely unwise in my opinion. Education is an incredibly important asset. It's handy in more respects than just landing a job.

School is one of those things that's really hard to get back into once you leave. There's alot more going on later in your life. So young people should finish it now, while they still can.

Bill Gates did it..

So did a ton of other people who didn't succeed...

I'm going with the majority (as of this writing) and say no. Yes, there are success stories of people who took their great idea and ran with it and ended up in the Fortune 500, but there are thousands of others whose bodies litter the same path because for one reason or another, their idea didn't work or they couldn't implement it. Used properly, school can help you improve your great idea, network your great idea, get investors (time, money, emotional support) for your great idea, ect. Just be sure and document everything so some one else who did decide to drop out and pursue their great idea doesn't beat you to the punch.

i would say No as well, as seal said start working on your idea while your in school. It doesn't hurt to have an education as a backup just in case your idea is a flop.

Dude, don't drop out of school, I don't give a shit how good your idea is, no one will take you seriously if you are some high school drop out these days.

"Ah....ok, you you finished high school right? Oh....you didn't? Ooohh...you dropped out in year 10? Ah..ok...you have some idea..it will revolutionize our industry will it.....mmm...okay.. *security!*...ok I am going to have to ask you to leave.."

I think he was talking about college not high school, and if you are talking about high school I would say finish that. I have seen people get their degree and work at a fastfood place still making 6 dollars an hour. on the other hand I have also seen people with no degree own 5-100 different fast food places (fast food is just an example). college dose not make you successful, it helps, but then again only stupid people and doctors need education

Hell no.

Finish high school. Finish college. Consider graduate school. In western society today, you're going to have a heck of a hard time doing anything worthwhile without at *least* a 4-year college degree.

If you have that great of an idea, work on it while you're in school. Or wait until you're done.

Because you may find that the rest of the world doesn't think your idea is as great as you do. This way, you have something else to fall back on. :)

No.

If you have a great idea, my opinion is to start executing it whilst in school. School provides you with a kind of safety net that will be extremely valuable in the future. Even if this idea succeeds, leaving school would be extremely unwise in my opinion. Education is an incredibly important asset. It's handy in more respects than just landing a job.

School is one of those things that's really hard to get back into once you leave. There's alot more going on later in your life. So young people should finish it now, while they still can.

I completely agree. Leaving School is absolutely stupid.

college dose not make you successful, it helps, but then again only stupid people and doctors need education

Contender for the most ironic post of the year? :lol:

Edited by Seal

Depends on the person. For most of the population, I'd think they should stay in school; however, I will be dropping out of college this semester to pursue a new CLEC my friend's ISP just formed.

Take it from someone who actually did it...... NO.

At 17 I left school a month before my exams to start up my own business. I worked crazy hard to keep it going to this day but believe me it would have been so much easier if I'd just finished my education. If you're young, take it from an older guy, you have loads of your life to live, don't rush out there to fill it with employment, get educated and then if you still want to do it, go for it.

Dude, don't drop out of school, I don't give a shit how good your idea is, no one will take you seriously if you are some high school drop out these days.

"Ah....ok, you you finished high school right? Oh....you didn't? Ooohh...you dropped out in year 10? Ah..ok...you have some idea..it will revolutionize our industry will it.....mmm...okay.. *security!*...ok I am going to have to ask you to leave.."

Nobody? http://www.hereinreality.com/drop_outs.html

No.

This is probably some of the best advice you will ever receive in life.

The Albert Einstein myth appears on every feel-good website. Einstein didn't drop out of high school. He finished it faster than his peers, through tests. But even if he dropped out of high school, that doesn't really mean anything. Simply speaking, dropping out of high school doesn't increase your chances of being the next Einstein.

The Albert Einstein myth appears on every feel-good website. Einstein didn't drop out of high school. He finished it faster than his peers, through tests. But even if he dropped out of high school, that doesn't really mean anything. Simply speaking, dropping out of high school doesn't increase your chances of being the next Einstein.

His parents realized the enormous problems that he faced as a school dropout and draft dodger with no employable skills. His prospects did not look promising.

Fortunately, Einstein could apply directly to the Eidgenössische Polytechnische Schule (“Swiss Federal Polytechnic School”; in 1911, following expansion in 1909 to full university status, it was renamed the Eidgenössische Technische Hochschule, or “Swiss Federal Institute of Technology”) in Zürich without the equivalent of a high school diploma if he passed its stiff entrance examinations." --Encyclopedia Britannica

I agree. Whoever recommends dropping out of school to increase their chances of achieving a higher IQ is dead wrong. Who said that?

Edited by p0larized

There are 24 people on that page. To form a meaningful predictor of success, you have to compare that number to the total number of people who have dropped out of school.

A quick web search states that in 1993, there were 3.4 million people between ages 16 and 24 that were high school dropouts. Take the 16 high school dropouts on the above page, divide that by 3.4 million (as an exercise), and you come up with 4.7x10^(-6).

Now, I'm not a gambling man... but even Kenny Rogers wouldn't like *those* odds. :)

There are 24 people on that page. To form a meaningful predictor of success, you have to compare that number to the total number of people who have dropped out of school.

A quick web search states that in 1993, there were 3.4 million people between ages 16 and 24 that were high school dropouts. Take the 16 high school dropouts on the above page, divide that by 3.4 million (as an exercise), and you come up with 4.7x10^(-6).

Now, I'm not a gambling man... but even Kenny Rogers wouldn't like *those* odds. :)

? Did I say anything about being more successful? Or bettering ones odds of success? No, I believe it was "I agree. Whoever recommends dropping out of school to increase their chances of achieving a higher IQ is dead wrong.".

That was more of a response to that page than to what you said. :)

That was more of a response to that page than to what you said. :)

Ok, I must admit that is fair and correct. My point was the Wright Brothers. "Oh, you have a revolutionary idea? an airplane? get out of my office?" :P

Edited by p0larized