Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
canr

Dell

5 posts in this topic

Solved!

Edited by snapple

We had one of these at the last place I did IT work for...I just installed XP...Service Pack 2, IIRC, contained any drivers not included in the base Windows XP install. That's generally the only reason Dell doesn't include drivers for a specific OS on their site -- because it's already supported in the OS or a SP to it. If all else fails, give the Windows driver locator a try (as long as you have a legit copy of Windows).

If Windows driver locator can't find it, or you don't have a legit copy of Windows, or you just hate Automatic Updates, just identify the hardware actually in your system. It's going to be generic hardware. I usually do this by booting a Linux Live CD and running "lspci" to get a list of all the PCI devices in the machine. Then download the regular drivers for these devices from the manufacturers.

Edited by systems_glitch

Just use the ME/2k drivers

if that does not work download them anyway and at least you know the driver you are looking for

example:

open up the INF file for the drivers you download it will tell you what it is..

you download the nic drivers and its a 'intel blablal 100' now you just need to goole for XP driver or try driverguide.com

you can also try to download "10000 drivers" cd its a lame drivers cd for windows that has all kinds of drivers on it :)

Just use the ME/2k drivers

if that does not work download them anyway and at least you know the driver you are looking for

example:

open up the INF file for the drivers you download it will tell you what it is..

you download the nic drivers and its a 'intel blablal 100' now you just need to goole for XP driver or try driverguide.com

you can also try to download "10000 drivers" cd its a lame drivers cd for windows that has all kinds of drivers on it :)

Thanks

Edited by snapple

when you go to the dell support page for drivers and downloads you can type in the service tag number for your computer, and it will list all the drivers for your machine. the service tag number is printed on a label on the outside of your case, or you can find it in the root directory of yuor C drive in iirc a text file of .inf file listed as settings or config or comething like that.

Well if I find out they are designed for me/2k only and don't work for xp then what are my options except for a bios update.