Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jamie79512

Transistor labels

8 posts in this topic

I wasn't sure where to put this but this seems like the most appropriate place. I am working on building a solarbug, aka beambot, and i purchased a pack of 15 transistors at radioshack, they are 2n3906 general purpose transistors. Well when i got home and opened the package, the sides of the transistors did not have "2n3906" on them. Only one in the entire box had the correct number. Is this a mistake in packaging or is that normal? This is my first time to purchase transistors and figured that the part number should be written on the side of each part. I also purchased 2n3904 transistors individually and they each had the number written on the side... and help?

Radio Shack sells a "variety" pack of transistors. I've gotten a bunch of 3904's and 2222's in there. Depends on which package you got, but they should all at least be NPN's if it was an NPN pack. For anything specific, you should really buy something you know. Also, Radio Shack is grossly overpriced. If you can, pick them up from Digikey, Mouser or Jameco.

Yea i made the mistake of using radioshack because it was quicker than ordering but im returning some things and i will never use them again unless i'm forced to do so. The package says "2n3906" and its a package of fifteen. They should all be 2n3906... Will the other transistors work the same way? it doesn't make sense that they would put an assortment into a box that was just supposed to be the 3906..

well, it would help if you told us what you are going to be doing and what the numbers on the other transistors were, that way you can look up the spec sheets on them and see if they are simialr to the 3906s.

Like i said i was making solarbug or beambot, you can see the design at the bottom of this page. Some of the numbers on the transistors include mps 6534, mps a55, and pn4258

mps 6534 is a PNP transistor with comparable specs to 2n3906 (which is also PNP)

mps a55 is similar to the 6534 with slightly higher maximum voltages

pn4258 is the only one that is below the specs for the 2n9306, as long as you don't plan on going above 12 volts then these will be fine

If you have any others just do a goole search for the part number and you can usually find the spec sheet.

Yup, they do that now -- you get a mix of "compatible" transistors when you buy a pack of NPN or PNP. Fortunately, the 2N3906 is a pretty generic transistor. You can buy them in quantities of 100 probably for around the RatShack price of 15.

If I need generic PNP/NPN transistors, I usually pull them from old electronics, as long as I don't need long leads.

Cool thanks guys, I'm not going to be ordering from radioshack anymore anyways, i just wanted to be sure that these transistors would work in place of the one that i needed. Thanks again.