ntheory

Anonymous SMS

5 posts in this topic

I just threw together HushTxt.com so I could SMS people anonymously while at DefCon. I won't be going so I won't get a chance to test it out but I figured anyone here who is going might get some mileage out of it.

All you, and the person you want to talk to, have to do is register by SMS'ing the register@hushtxt.com e-mail address. Then, instead of sharing your phone number with people you get assigned a HushTxt.com e-mail address and you can share that. It's basically an anonymous remailer designed for SMS (all headers stripped out so you get the full 160 characters).

Let me know if it does or doesn't work for you. The site is super basic and I don't make any money off of the GoDaddy nonsense at the top. I just opted for their free hosting while I was testing the system out. It's beta so you might experience some hiccups.

Edited by ntheory

Cool. I'll check it out. The current setup actually does have paid hosting but I chose to run the web server and mail server in different locations for security reasons and didn't want to worry to much about the web hosting aspect of it.

If you run into any problems with it just e-mail me at ntheory@bellsmind.net.

%cat /bin/SEND
vim msg.txt
echo send `cat msg.txt` to $1 ?
sleep 10

cat msg.txt | mailx $1@cingularme.com
cat msg.txt | mailx $1@vtext.com
cat msg.txt | mailx $1@messaging.sprintpcs.com
cat msg.txt | mailx $1@messaging.nextel.com
rm msg.txt

Well, it's a little more involved than that... scrubbing user IDs/names, dealing with postfix, database, etc.