Malachai

Virus Software / Linux Dist

4 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I have a question for you guys. I have been assigned 2 task today. Maybe some of you might be able to help me.

1. What linux dist would you load for new users and older users that know linux. We are ready to move out of MS windows to linux. The ones we been thinking of are Fedora, or Ubuntu but the kde version... Which one do you think would be good? and why....

2. I need to find a good anti virus software for some MS windows that we have... I know I said we are ready to move off of it but it's going to be about 9 months from now.

In the mean time I need to find something good for a corp network. We are using Mcafee but damm it's taking a lot of memory and resources. Which virus software would you guys recommend and why? All I need is something to protect the workstation from getting any viruses...

Any good feed back would be good.

thanks

What kind of applications are going to be used and are you doing mass deployment? Fedora will make mass deployment really simple because of kickstart files especially if the hardware is the same or similar. Basically a kickstart files includes all the configuration settings so you just pop the dvd with the kickstart in and it will automatically install how you set it up the first time. I'd highly suggest creating your own repo for whatever distro you go with as it will make upgrades much faster as your network should be faster than you download speed across the internet not to mention lowering load on their mirrors. Fedora has pretty decent KDE support though it will not be totally moved over to 4 until Fedora 10 which should be released early next year. KDEPIM 3.x is still being used for a few reasons. Generally there aren't many issues with Fedora however it is fairly bleeding edge so you'll want to watch the updates and keep up to date with development before upgrading all the systems.

1. What linux dist would you load for new users and older users that know linux. We are ready to move out of MS windows to linux. The ones we been thinking of are Fedora, or Ubuntu but the kde version... Which one do you think would be good? and why....

Need more info as to how they're going to be used. On the other hand, in a general sense, they're all pretty much the same from a user's perspective.

2. I need to find a good anti virus software for some MS windows that we have... I know I said we are ready to move off of it but it's going to be about 9 months from now.

In the mean time I need to find something good for a corp network. We are using Mcafee but damm it's taking a lot of memory and resources. Which virus software would you guys recommend and why? All I need is something to protect the workstation from getting any viruses...

I have had good luck with the AVG corporate/network version.