Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aghaster

Data Loggers

12 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'm interested in buying a data logger, in order to intercept the communication between a SIM card and that reads it. The reason for that is that my local bus system will soon start to use SIM cards. The company that makes those cards is Oberthur, which really looks like a serious company, so I don't really expect to succeed. Anyway, I would still like to try and see what I can guess from these cards, how do they work. I'm very curious.

I've googled for data loggers, and I've found this website that describes how to use a data logger model that they don't have anymore in their store. This kind of hardware seems hard to find, I'd like to know where I could buy one of these devices. Also, I'd like to know if it is legal to own a data logger (maybe for some reason they are illegal).

Thanks for your help :)

You might want to read up on how SIM actually works (try wikipedia). Also, you should checkout sourceforge for Tulip2g. But for SIM read and write operations, you need the hardware. The cheapest way is a phone, which you can use perform read write operations and if you are willing enough to spend 6 months of total isolation, copy operations and overcome restricted 'zones'. Have fun!

You might want to read up on how SIM actually works (try wikipedia). Also, you should checkout sourceforge for Tulip2g. But for SIM read and write operations, you need the hardware. The cheapest way is a phone, which you can use perform read write operations and if you are willing enough to spend 6 months of total isolation, copy operations and overcome restricted 'zones'. Have fun!

For read/write operations, I have a friend of mine who has the appropriate hardware already, so that is not a problem. What we need is to intercept the communication between the card and the machine, so that we can try to figure out the protocol. We can then test it with read/write operations with the hardware we already have.

I am very interested in sim technology and i'm currently improving a standalone hardware sim reader/writer i built which i have used as a datalogger to learn what happens when a new sim is registered with a mobile network.

Pm me if you want some sim info

You don't expect to succeed because it really looks like a serious company? Come on, man. Don't be so discouraged. Gaping security holes are found in big companies all the time. :)

You don't expect to succeed because it really looks like a serious company? Come on, man. Don't be so discouraged. Gaping security holes are found in big companies all the time. :)

Guess what, I made this thread because I want to try :P I just said that because as this company looks serious, they probably have not neglected security. It does not mean that they did neglect security, but if I were a big company I wouldn't, so I don't expect it to be easy.

Still nowhere to buy one? :(

Hi. I'm not sure if this info pertains to your bus systems, but I found this THC wiki to be very interesting.

Stumbled across this today: http://ladyada.net/make/simreader/index.html

It's not what you're looking for exactly, but I thought you might be able to get some insight from it.

This is a SIM card reader, my friend already has a SIM card reader/writer. The hardware I'm looking for is a data logger, which has a very thin part that you can place on your SIM card. It intercepts the read/write operations with the card, and logs them. So, for example, I would place my card in the data logger, go to the machine where I can pay for the next month of bus pass, and intercept the communication. I'd then use that information to try to figure out how the protocol works. If I successfully reverse engineer the protocol, I can use the SIM card reader/writer to do as if I was the machine that added a month of bus pass on my card.

Stumbled across this today: http://ladyada.net/make/simreader/index.html

It's not what you're looking for exactly, but I thought you might be able to get some insight from it.

This is a SIM card reader, my friend already has a SIM card reader/writer. The hardware I'm looking for is a data logger, which has a very thin part that you can place on your SIM card. It intercepts the read/write operations with the card, and logs them. So, for example, I would place my card in the data logger, go to the machine where I can pay for the next month of bus pass, and intercept the communication. I'd then use that information to try to figure out how the protocol works. If I successfully reverse engineer the protocol, I can use the SIM card reader/writer to do as if I was the machine that added a month of bus pass on my card.

Yeah? its a reader. so you have half the hardware in that example to to lift the data you need. I was thinking you could build something out of a PC board that you could use to plug into the sim port on the phone, let the wires dangle out the phone and run a sim jack for a real card..., a sim extenstion cord if you will. Mean while use the design in that example to pick up the electrical signals moving through the 'extension' cord and listen in.