Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
natas

Num2Name.com - Free CNAM Lookups

31 posts in this topic

I put together this site over the weekend...thought it would be a cool little tool for some people. Put in a 10 digit US or Canadian number and you (should) get back a name (from a CNAM source...), city/state, phone company name and the number type (wireless/landline/other).

http://www.num2name.com <--Phone Number To Name Tool

Pretty straight forward. Let me know what you think.....I think I'm going to make a light weight mobile version for the iPhone's browser soon and figure out mod_rewrite so I can make cool URLs like "/lookup/2128675309" that you can bookmark and link to.

I want to do a Google Map integration too where it'll show the city.

This is really neat; simple too.

Thanks natas!

p.s. Hit me up if you need help with the iPhone UI.

Edited by Zeph

nice work natas! I'll give you a hand a the iphone stuff as well if you need it.

Nice work. And can't wait for the google map part.

Not too bad. Wish there was the ability to look up unlisted numbers.

Not too bad. Wish there was the ability to look up unlisted numbers.

Unlisted numbers don't work for you? It should. Unless my CNAM source really sucks.

So do names regularly show up? I tried two number and although the city, provider, and type of line showed up (nice work) the name did not.

Excellent work :D, 3 out 5 numbers I put in came up with a result, and 2 came up as unknown aside from that, excellent stuff B)

Unlisted numbers don't work for you? It should. Unless my CNAM source really sucks.

Or it isn't updated very often. I've spoofed caller ID on VOIP services to get the names of some numbers to see who they were. They show up on my caller ID box but don't show up on the website. They come up there as "unknown".

Edited by dmine45

Yeah, I think if the number isn't listed, it'll generally come back as unknown. like 434-973-2793 will read CENTEL from my POTS line, but come back as unknown from num2name (this isn't a generic CNAM like the one Verizon uses on some test numbers, Centel hasn't existed since the early 1990's). As another example, 434-973-4228 comes back as EMBARQ, PIC TEST normally, but doesn't show any results from num2name. I like how it doesn't truncate names, though. Like from a POTS line, 906-524-5015 will come back as DICKS PUMP & M, but the full name comes back with num2name.

Hey, another quick feature...

To pull CNAM and just have it dump back basic text information. That way, it'd be trivial to intergrate into a Asterisk AGI... Just a thought. That is, no HTML - just text...

Edited by Beave

Oh, very neat. :D

Another cool site, natas. Will put this to much use and abuse <3

Interesting...

It spells Poughkeepsie NY

Poughkepsi, NY

845-452-9901

Or old school:

GL(obe)2-9901

And yes, a text only version for AGI integration would be fantastic.

Edited by 10nix

<delete please double post>

Edited by 10nix

I put together this site over the weekend...thought it would be a cool little tool for some people. Put in a 10 digit US or Canadian number and you (should) get back a name (from a CNAM source...), city/state, phone company name and the number type (wireless/landline/other).

http://www.num2name.com <--Phone Number To Name Tool

Pretty straight forward. Let me know what you think.....I think I'm going to make a light weight mobile version for the iPhone's browser soon and figure out mod_rewrite so I can make cool URLs like "/lookup/2128675309" that you can bookmark and link to.

I want to do a Google Map integration too where it'll show the city.

If it isn't too much work you should think about implementing an API (JSON or XML) so you can integrate the site with many different applications :)

-Andrew

I made an iPhone version because I'm a fr33k and love doing stuff for the iPhone now.

http://www.num2name.com/iphone

If you visit num2name.com from your iPhone or iPod Touch now it'll automagically redirect you to the iPhone version.

I guess my CNAM source isn't as good as I thought it was. Sorry about that.

I made an iPhone version because I'm a fr33k and love doing stuff for the iPhone now.

http://www.num2name.com/iphone

If you visit num2name.com from your iPhone or iPod Touch now it'll automagically redirect you to the iPhone version.

I guess my CNAM source isn't as good as I thought it was. Sorry about that.

I was just pimping this on my phone with a few friends and noticed the redirectuch props from us Ohio phreaks!

natas, how would you feel if I wrote a script that "wardialed" num2name to create a sort of BellsMind database for CNAM? ;)

natas, how would you feel if I wrote a script that "wardialed" num2name to create a sort of BellsMind database for CNAM? ;)

I really don't want people doing that because I don't want my CNAM source to block me. It's sort of a hack how I'm getting it.

That's what I figured. I understand and I won't do that. I was just speculating. To prevent people from doing this perhaps you could implement some sort of throttle mechanism like TimeLox.

Anyways, it would be cool if you cached the results from all the queries and added them to BellsMind somehow. That way, you wouldn't have to send multiple queries for the same number either.

Is anyone good with the Google Maps API? I want to add a little map to the page showing the city that the number is in, but I don't know how to do this....it looks like you need the long/lat coordinates for the call.

No name info on any Telus or Telus Mobility numbers I gave it.. :huh:

Nice tool! Shame there isn't similar tool doesn't exist for UK numbers.

natas, what kind of source are you using for the cnam because it seems to think i'm getting service from a phone company that hasn't existed by this name since i've been alive...in fact i am fairly sure it was bought out in the late 60's

Is that what the name is coming back as or is the company the old name?