Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
snakesonaplane

CompTIA A+ Cert

12 posts in this topic

I'm taking the A+ exam soon (company I work for is picking up the tab) and I just wanted to get some perspective from people who have taken it. I've been doing the training through the "Testout" cd series and it seems to be pretty easy. The only thing I'm worried about is memorizing their processes -- you can be good with computers but you need to know how to access certain settings or perform tasks off the top of your head. I'm 20 and I've been building/fixing computers since I was 9. Is this something I should study extensively for or is it going to be a walk in the park?

when i took it 7 years ago it was a walk in the park. test prolly isn't the same anymore, but the only things i didn't know right away was irq stuff, but i figured them out. not sure whats in the test these days tho.

On the topic of CompTIA, has anyone taken the Security+ exam?

Anyone taken the Security+ exam?

Indeed. Nothing too difficult there, nothing really indepth at all infact - I over-studied thinking it might be harder than it was. :roll:

Showed up a bit late because of traffic (they weren't going to let me write at all.. 'you won't have enough time'); end result being a perfect score and left early with time to go to the pub.

when i took it 7 years ago it was a walk in the park. test prolly isn't the same anymore, but the only things i didn't know right away was irq stuff, but i figured them out. not sure whats in the test these days tho.

i found it fairly easy but it's been a while

-E

Make sure you read the questions carefully. There is/are usually 1 or 2 options which are obviously incorrect but the remainder *may* just be right, depending upon how the question is worded. I remember a number of questions being convoluted and in the negative.

I just received my A+ cert in may. It's two tests and its really easy. It doesn't ask anything about the Application Layer Gateway or IRQs, etc. Basically, you have to know what the different types of RAM are and physically idenify them, and know every possible way to get to certain 'applications' in windows. For example, regedit32 for win2000 vs regedit for XP. The questions I had missed were all requarding getting to certain menus or aps in widows.

I just received my A+ cert in may. It's two tests and its really easy. It doesn't ask anything about the Application Layer Gateway or IRQs, etc. Basically, you have to know what the different types of RAM are and physically idenify them, and know every possible way to get to certain 'applications' in windows. For example, regedit32 for win2000 vs regedit for XP. The questions I had missed were all requarding getting to certain menus or aps in widows.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. You can be really good at sitting down and solving a problem, but if you don't know the specific process you're screwed. Hopefully the testout cd's have prepared me adequately for "their" way. Sounds like the test isn't hard, but I don't want to get too cocky. Thanks for the responses guys.

Know irqs like it's your name, know memory addresses, and eat a good breakfast. It's easy enough, but it always helps to have a satisfied belly. I stressed as if I was taking a state bar or something, but it was cake.

Oh yeah. They give you a white board and pen. As soon as you get in, put stuff like IRQs and memory addresses down for quick reference. That way, you never second guess yourself.

And go with a friend if you can. Then you may have time to enjoy the free refreshments ^_^

My training cd's barely touched on IRQ's, so it looks like I have some additional studying to do. :o

Took it this morning and aced it! :D Thanks for the advice, guys. The free refreshments were awesome btw.