jripper

telnet

19 posts in this topic

Okay so I got this second rate gig doing some repair contract owrk for local gas stations as a means of part time income. so I have to have a telnet program to log into there consols. I have a RJ-45 to serial adapter. But what telnet program do i use thats free and how would i use it?

RJ-45 != ethernet != IP networking. You don't want a telnet program, you want a terminal emulator. Hyperterminal on Windows is probably what you're looking for. However, since you gave absolutely no clue as to what it is you're supposed to be doing, no one will be able to help you much beyond that.

I know I'm not supposed to flame, but why do you keep accepting these jobs? You don't know what you're doing, this much is clear. It's irresponsible for them to hire you, and it's irresponsible for you to accept the job. You're going to screw something up (again) and cost them money.

Tera Term Pro is free and should be all that you need. It supports both serial and TCP/IP connections.

Like Ohm said, you didn't give much information about the system, so it's kind of hard to elaborate more.

I have a few friends that work at the Verifone Petro help desk... I'm pretty sure they just felt the disturbance in the force and began preemptively yanking their hair out, awaiting the phone call when you plug one of the Veeder-Root's COM ports into the cable modem because they use RJ45 connectors...

Just like Ohm I know I'm not supposed to flame, but seriously, don't take jobs above your head and end up costing someone money. I've got good sources who say those support contracts aren't cheap (and a visit from a VASC tech is even less cheap).

Well theres not much I'm aloud to say but I can state the obvious about the system. Basically all I'm suppose to do is replace the broken parts which is simple A+ work. How ever sometime we need to log into the system thin client console (**hint hint gas stations) but all they tell me is that i need to have a Ethernet to serial adapter and

""a terminal program on your laptop and know how to set it up to connect to serial""

thats all they told me

The few times Ive had to do stuff like this I used SecureCRT. The place I worked for had a license though.

......................hyper terminal. but looking at some of your last post i would call them up and say, i'm sorry i took the job, but this is over my head and i don't want to break anything.

sry, i know one shouldn't flame... but....

Anyone have a link to a PDF or similar documentation describing how a typical gas station operates in more of the computer aspect...?

Such as maybe one coming from the side of a "Repair" operations or topology chart of how it's structured...

I know it's a general question however `Dr. House` left me kind of curious.

We can't possibly help you without know about the setup, please see the topic where I tell you to get the *bleep* away from electronics... ;)

RJ-45 is simply cabling, often people re-purpose things... some systems for instance, have an RJ-11 jack for serial communications.... it's not a modem though, you wouldn't connect it to a phone line.

An "RJ-45 to Serial" cable is vague, how would we possibly know how it was wired? do you have a pin out? documentation? anything? please take your head out of your arse and stop taking on jobs you're not capable of accomplishing... baker, where is my cake dammit!

Edited by BSDfan

Are you trying to dial into this thing over a phone line? get an external modem and jack it in.

Edited by PurpleJesus

This kind of thing:

sry, i know one shouldn't flame... but....

... doesn't make this kind of thing okay:

looking at some of your last post i would call them up and say, i'm sorry i took the job, but this is over my head and i don't want to break anything.

Let's KNOCK OFF the personal attacks folks. That's not what we're here for.

Hmmm.....Some equipment, like Cisco switches and routers, have a console port that takes a RJ-45 connector but it is actually a serial port, and you must use a 9 or 25 pin serial (db9 or db25) connector to connect to it using hyperterm to talk to the serial port...... pinouts are available on the internet.....

Well theres not much I'm aloud to say but I can state the obvious about the system. Basically all I'm suppose to do is replace the broken parts which is simple A+ work. How ever sometime we need to log into the system thin client console (**hint hint gas stations) but all they tell me is that i need to have a Ethernet to serial adapter and

""a terminal program on your laptop and know how to set it up to connect to serial""

thats all they told me

s

yes your going to need a db 9 connector and a straight through ethernet cable.

if your just replacing broken parts i don't understand why you would need to console into w/e. i can't believe they would actually allow you to do that in the first place

Many devices require a "rollover cable" (pin 1 to pin 8, 2 to 7, etc). There's no real standard, it could be anything really.

Many devices require a "rollover cable" (pin 1 to pin 8, 2 to 7, etc). There's no real standard, it could be anything really.

yes, your right my fault. anytime you console into anything you usually use a rollover

side note: telnet does not come preinstalled with vista ...

I was looking for a term app that would try and auto find all the right bit rate settings etc so I dont have to roll though them all .. ?

Edited by operat0r

side note: telnet does not come preinstalled with vista ...

I was looking for a term app that would try and auto find all the right bit rate settings etc so I dont have to roll though them all .. ?

Telnet does come pre-installed with Vista--it's just not enabled by default. To enable it:

Start..Control Panel..Programs..Turn Windows features on or off..Telnet Client

You know, I've always been trying to get into Hardware Hacking and reversing, but man....I dont really know where to start! Pinouts, serial, ok; I know what serial is, and rollovers. God, I feel so retarded :'( I've seen an article on how a guy got a terminal on the Amazon kindle by doing this serial connecter pin out stuff. Sigh* If only I could learn this stuff :'( I REALLY want to.