DrakeAnubis

Recycling Server Racks

11 posts in this topic

A while ago I cut down a server rack and had left over pieces, they've just been sitting around waiting to get thrown away.

Recently, I decided I might install some bar somewhere for pullups (because I have deceptively strong arms and like being the nerdy computer guy whos stronger than his friends). Rather than just install something, I decided to build a prototype using pieces of server rack, aluminum tape, and general wire.

I'm such a nerd.

post-8673-1216656204_thumb.jpg

post-8673-1216656210_thumb.jpg

post-8673-1216656215_thumb.jpg

lol, maybe you should think before you post. I do like your style of photography but really why post this?

This is not a flame just a question.

A while ago I cut down a server rack and had left over pieces, they've just been sitting around waiting to get thrown away.

Recently, I decided I might install some bar somewhere for pullups (because I have deceptively strong arms and like being the nerdy computer guy whos stronger than his friends). Rather than just install something, I decided to build a prototype using pieces of server rack, aluminum tape, and general wire.

I'm such a nerd.

You always have the best projects.

By the way, I hope it can support your weight :lol: When you think it's ready, you have to ask yourself this question.

'Would I trust this bar not to break while hanging over a den of alligators?'

lol, maybe you should think before you post. I do like your style of photography but really why post this?

This is not a flame just a question.

My photography is terrible, the camera exposure was set wrong and I didn't notice.

I thought it was funny, I like those kind of things were people find new uses for otherwise scrap.

By the way, I hope it can support your weight :lol: When you think it's ready, you have to ask yourself this question.

'Would I trust this bar not to break while hanging over a den of alligators?'

I'm not a big creature, I weight like 135 fully dressed (pants, shirt, jacket, boots, belt, phone/ipod in pockets...etc).

Also the first one did break (landed on me feet though, only like a couple feet off the ground), but I just 5x-ed the amount of wire and it seems to be fine.

Moving to Hardware Hacking

You won't have to worry about the rack rails breaking. My server rack has easily 400 pounds of equipment in it. The method of attaching it to the top support is questionable, though.

Get some eye bolts and a short length of chain. Put the eye bolts through the server rack, with big washers on both sides. Then you can loop the chain over your support, and hook both ends to the eye bolts (they make a type of link with a nut in the middle for installing chains on eye bolts, etc). Wire looped and twisted like that will work OK for hanging light things, such as a fluorescent fixtures, but the live load of a human doing pull-ups will eventually work the twists out, or just stress the wire. You don't want it to break when you're doing knee-ups or something, and won't have your feet facing the ground!

You can find eye bolts and chain even at places like Wal-Mart. Any hardware store should have what you need.

Rack rails are very useful stuff, since they're usually very strong! We've cut ladder racks up and used sections of the rails to make some portable 19" rack boxes -- as in, a wooden box with handles that rack stuff mounts in for easy transportation, like a roadie box used for sound stuff. Great for LAN parties or college.

Edited by systems_glitch

I dont know if i would hang from something that looks like im guessing silver ductape but either way good thinking :P