Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tokachu

Hardware USB-to-RS232 adaptors

5 posts in this topic

Are there any very ordinary USB-to-RS232 (serial) adaptors that are guaranteed to work in Linux under the 2.6 kernel?

It wouldn’t be economically viable to require one that uses some third-party driver, either. I already bought one (special order, no less) and plugged it into a server: nothing worked. Turns out it was some cheap Chinese manufacturer who cut corners and embedded a competitor’s hardware serial number. Tech support was of absolutely no help, either: they recommended I rebuild the entire damn kernel with one of their modules to add support for the hardware IDs they stole.

Anything that uses the FTDI chip should work fine. As far as I know, the default kernel will work out of the box.

Awesome. I really hope this works.

Post as to what you find that /does/ work. I'm in need of a USB-to-RS232 adapter that works under Linux, too. We had a fun time finding someone with a laptop that had a serial port to configure the Qube while at HOPE. I guess hardly any laptop comes with RS232 by default.

The USB mag stripe reader that was advertised in the forums a while back used the FTDI chipset (it was really serial underneath) and does indeed work perfectly under Linux/OS X.

Post as to what you find that /does/ work. I'm in need of a USB-to-RS232 adapter that works under Linux, too. We had a fun time finding someone with a laptop that had a serial port to configure the Qube while at HOPE. I guess hardly any laptop comes with RS232 by default.

The USB mag stripe reader that was advertised in the forums a while back used the FTDI chipset (it was really serial underneath) and does indeed work perfectly under Linux/OS X.

what he said.

I'll be needing one too... I hate swapping out my cables now.