DrakeAnubis

Hacking Sleep

15 posts in this topic

I haven't figured out how this data is useful in any way whatsoever, but I am a statistical nutcase, and it fascinates me.

The hours I sleep are not so interesting because they are influenced by things that I have to do during the day, the amount of sleep that I seem to require is interesting (no alarm clock). If you look at the trendline (grey on the line graph) its obviously moving in waves.

If I ever make some breakthrough and write a paper, I'm calling them lolwavez, just to make people giving future presentations have to say it:

"and with our new drug we manage to control insomnia and reduce... lolwavez... by 44%.

post-8673-1216555324_thumb.jpg

Edited by Drake Anubis

lol, lolwavez.

what program did you use for those graphics?

Edited by dexterous

Ahh, well you must be unfamiliar with the fact that I am a spreadsheet warrior. *makes hand motion*

Thats a screenshot from Excel.

(I should really create a spreadsheet warrior shirt on cafepress)

That's really quite a cool project, I've never kept such close track but always found the hours I sleep goes along a roughly similar path.

I normally vary from getting up at 7:30 to 11am and very little of it depends on the time I go to bed. (around 2).

I normally vary from getting up at 7:30 to 11am and very little of it depends on the time I go to bed. (around 2).

You happen to be human, most of them (assuming they can sleep whenever they want) will follow the same track due to biological rhythms (Chronobiology). This obvious and known fact makes my "research" (the word I use as an excuse to create cool graphs) increasingly useless.

post-8673-1216565553_thumb.png

*double post*

opps

Edited by Drake Anubis

I'm ready for that new drug now ... lolwaves are getting in the way of my insomnia ... -_-

Though, on a serious note, I don't sleep very well, I average, If we are using statistics, between 4 and 6 hours, the one week is better then the other :huh:

Actually, I think our circadian rhythm is only influenced by light and dark, not so much directly driven by it.

You can change your rhythm by simply repeating it, like Polyphasic sleep

Edited by jedibebop

I am thrilled with it. That is the most beautiful spreadsheet I have ever seen in my life.

How did you do that? I must learn!

I never knew excel was such an excellent tool!

I by the way am also a statistical nut, and I would love to track any kind of data I can.

I currently track(or whatever you want to call it)

• A Bucket List
  • Running statistics along with pace/mile (runnerplus.com)
  • Where I've been in the world (whereivebeen.com)
  • Music I listen to (last.fm)
  • Folding (folding.stanford.edu)
  • And I just found a firefox extension that counts how many pages you visit, like a web odometer.
  • Daily work-related activities

One time I even downloaded a program that logged my keystroke count (not the keys themselves, just quantity)

I like statistics, and your spreadsheet masterskills are awesome!

*Salute*

*Salute*

I'm so going to start an army of spreadsheet warriors.

Hey, maybe you should try and sleep a fractal that'b be neat.

Not really surpised, though it is an interesting find.