Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
snakesonaplane

Police Laptop Computers

12 posts in this topic

I'm sure you all know that many police vehicles are equipped with laptops that have direct access to NCIC and other resources to run plates, names, license numbers, etc. Does anybody know what OS they run and how they are linked up (cellular, wireless backhaul, sat)? Do they connect to a server at the police station or do they go right to the NCIC database? How does the database or server know that they have the proper credentials to view the information?

inb4 thread a while back about NCIC.

I don't know much about NCIC, or how to answer your question. However, please don't write "inb4". It just looks dumb.

I don't know much about NCIC, or how to answer your question. However, please don't write "inb4". It just looks dumb.

If you don't know, then don't post (especially if you don't have anything nice to say). It just looks dumb.

@vaco: Awesome link, thanks!

The ones here use toughbooks. I believe they are WinXP Pro. Other than that I do not know.

Unfortunately I don't think there's a simple answer to this one... I think the answers are as widely varied as the departments themselves. In large metropolitan areas a cellular solution might be cheap and viable, whereas more remote rural stations may use satellite, high-powered radio, etc... As for OS, most of the systems that I can find info on seem to consume less than 20Kbps, which basically says plain-text ascii/ansi terminals, so I doubt it's standardized. If your local PD bought an AS400 then their car computers will be different than the town next door that just installed the new 2K3 server box.

PDs tend to take a pretty pragmatic approach to things like this and work with what they've got. Don't expect to see many standards in place, and if you manage to find a standard, don't expect it to be the same in the department next door.

From what I know MOST (not all) departments Ive seen run winXP pro running a CAD (Computer Aided Dispatching) program and use the 700 mhz radio range over a VPN. Departments that can run plates from their in car computers are doing so through the VPN which is accesses the state server the same way the computer in the dispatch center can.

In Oakville, Ontario the police use Panasonic Toughbooks running XP.

Where I live, they have neural links with each other, no dashboard computer.. they shoot on sight too. ;)

Police in my area use tough books with AT&T broadband cards

Just a little more to add. I notice the wireless card on one the other day. It was a Sierra Wireless aircard 881. Which seems to be with AT&T