Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jripper

cat 5e cable help

10 posts in this topic

I was adding on to my home network and was running some LAN cables from the front of the house under the floor to the rooms and i was using a stable gun to secure the line, I got the entire thing in but I opposed. I shot a stable threw the cat 5e cable. so I stripped the wire to check the damage and my blue/white strip wire is stripped but not broken. Can I cut the wire and solder it together to make sure it's fully connected. Or should it be fine the way it is?

I was adding on to my home network and was running some LAN cables from the front of the house under the floor to the rooms and i was using a stable gun to secure the line, I got the entire thing in but I opposed. I shot a stable threw the cat 5e cable. so I stripped the wire to check the damage and my blue/white strip wire is stripped but not broken. Can I cut the wire and solder it together to make sure it's fully connected. Or should it be fine the way it is?

I would just run the wire again, might cost a bit more but your gonna get way better peformance out ofi t that way. Just go to the end of the run and tape it off with electrical tape you will be able to pull the new cable through that way. You probably could jimmy rigg it somehow together and get it to work but when it comes to ethernet I'm assuming the cable will be used for internet on a computer and your going to want to get the max out of the cable.

If you just leave it the way it is you might end up getting frustrated later on with odd problems which "possibly" could be caused by interference and will be a headache to troubleshoot. However I don't really know how bad the tear in it really is so its up to your judgement and expectations.

The biggest problem I'm having is I would have to tare the entire line out and I really cant do that. that if i just slice the wire in 2 and crimp each side and the hook the to RJ-45 modular plugs into a female-female couple??

why rerun the whole thing? Tape the new cable to the end of the old and have someone on the other side make sure the two don't separate, just pull out the original. I do it with speaker cable often enough, should work.

The cable needs to be replaced or the damaged section removed. Don't splice and solder as you suggested, this is tricky to get right and will break down with time and vibration, causing strange and intermittent problems. You can either run the cable again (which is what I'd do) or use a coupler.

Don't use staples! They pinch the cable and add problems of their own.

You should replace it just to be sure.

I have used clear silicone sealant before to fix a cable like that.

I went ahead and rerun the wire and then I zip tied the lines and then stabled the zip ties to the beam so as to not ping the line. Crimped the ends and all is well. Thanks for the help guys