Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gloomer

Analyzing suspicious sites

4 posts in this topic

I've got pretty much everything in place for analyzing suspicious exe's through Vmware and such...

I thought about it and I really have no way to test for suspicious and malicious sites. For sandboxing, and containing the 'maliciousness', i'll probably use vmware with any tools that you guys recommend for checking these sites out.

Thanks

Running a true VM would obviously be the more secure and paranoid way of doing things... Depending on what kind of sites you're at and just how paranoid you want to be, a VM might be the way to go. I think there was even a pre-made image for VMWare Player a while back that was just a low-profile linux install and firefox, nothing else.

Of course there are always other options. You could try Sandboxie if you're in windows, or get the VM "rollback" effect by using apps like deepfreeze. Plash is also a somewhat viable alternative for sandboxing anything under linux, I haven't used it much but I've heard good things.

In any case, simply following the normal best practices should keep you relatively safe from all but the darkest corners of the net. Virus scanner, firewall, don't use Admin accounts for everything, etc.

Hopefully that was helpful...

I'd recommend using the noscript firefox addon. I'm not positive if it's exactly what you're looking for, but by default it runs no scripts on any website until you explicitly allow them. This might help with identifying potentially malicious scripts on pages that you visit.

noscript.net

The Firefox Tamper Data add-on is quite usefull. It allows you to easily view, cancel, and modify HTTP(S) requests on the fly.