Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thecriscoking

Car computers.

18 posts in this topic

To my understanding, every car has some sort of computer it in correct? And, whether it be the dealership or a automotive company, have computers that, I guess, hook-up to the car and check it? or something along those lines. Is there any way to hook your own computer up to the car's, in a sense?

Sure, you use the OBD II plug, usually under the driver's side dash. There's a variety of car-to-PC interfaces designed for it. I've even seen a USB device that plugs directly onto the OBD II connector -- it was being advertised as a way for parents to monitor how far their kids drove when they borrowed the car, the top speed reached, etc. There's a lot of neat information that can be pulled from it.

OBD is great for diagnostics, or you can add other fun things to your car to fine tune it. (Not sure how much can be changed through OBD2 directly). If you want to mess with stuff, you may want to look into a programmable ECU (Engine Control Unit) - monitors the sensors etc to control air intake + fuel entering engine.

And obd2 -> usb reader can be gotten for pretty cheap from hong-kong, just search ebay, make sure its compatible with your car though. I ordered a ELM327 based unit recently, hasn't arrived yet, supposed to work on most cars.

i just got a http://www.scangauge.com/

this thing is awesome, we plug it in the tbird and the truck whenever we go anywhere. it seems the trick is to go downhill in neutral. though this doest plug into a computer, its still very cool

"The trick is to go downhill in neutral" -> I've been going in + out of neutral a lot recently. On one hand, it reduces fuel consumption, and stops the car from waisting energy pulling forward at red lights. On the other hand, how bad is it for the transmission (automatic)?

i dont really know, i asked my dad (cant put a nail thought a board) and he said it would be fine. im going to call a car guy in the morning to answer the question, at least for my vehicle

i dont really know, i asked my dad (cant put a nail thought a board) and he said it would be fine. im going to call a car guy in the morning to answer the question, at least for my vehicle

I don't think it's too bad for the transmission, As long as you don't hammer it hard and shock the drive train when you put it back into gear. Just don't tell the cops. Here (TN) it's illegal to 'coast in neutral'. I don't really know why.

It's illegal in the UK too, it's to do with 'not being in control of the vehicle'.

They have a mildy valid point, if something occurred you would have to put it into gear before you could accelerate away, and if you brake you won't have the additional engine braking.

Loads of horse shite if you ask me, coasting ftw, especially with rising gas prices.

Perfect, thanks for the many answers. That's why I love this place, very helpful. I'll be ordering my ODB > USB very soon. Thank you.

Power steering + brakes should work just fine in neutral. (If you turn the engine off, thats a different story.) I don't know if its illegal here (Canada), but how the hell would they tell anyways? If it takes you too long to get out of neutral, you probably shouldn't be doing this anyways.

Have fun with your OBD2 unit!

It's illegal in the UK too, it's to do with 'not being in control of the vehicle'.

They have a mildy valid point, if something occurred you would have to put it into gear before you could accelerate away, and if you brake you won't have the additional engine braking.

Loads of horse shite if you ask me, coasting ftw, especially with rising gas prices.

You have a valid point.. I can remember two collisions I avoided by hammering the gas and getting myself out of the way.

Can you use these to flash the ECU adjusting air/fuel ratios? Just like when you get a car remapped? That'd be so much fun, even if the professionals probably do a better job of it.

Can you use these to flash the ECU adjusting air/fuel ratios? Just like when you get a car remapped? That'd be so much fun, even if the professionals probably do a better job of it.

Probably not. A lot of cars use an EPROM, which can only be erased with UV light. OBD is mostly for finding out info about different parts of the car.

We coast downhill in neutral all the time. Even in the C60 dumptruck we use, you can coast downhill in neutral without getting to too high a speed. Of course, with manual transmissions, it's a lot easier to get back in gear out of neutral, since you don't have to wait for the automatic transmission to decide to switch.

Edited by systems_glitch

I was doing some research about OBD-II plugs and sockets, and I can't seem to find what type of socket my car has. There is two different types that I am aware of (ELM327 and Vag-Com). For all I know there may others. Well the question is, is there any site that lists what type for what model, or might anyone know of the type for a Toyota Scion Tc?

I'm guessing yours would be the ELM327. Seeing as VAG stands for Volkswagen Audi Group.