Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nagant

Comcast and peer-to-peer.

5 posts in this topic

First of all - I'm a newb in this area. I've only recently started doing some research on Comcast & P2P, and I've come across some articles referring to ways to get around it.

Is there a way around them blocking peer-to-peer? I'm hoping they were not BSing. They were talking about for BitTorrent, you could somehow set it to 'force'? I'm not quite sure, I don't really use BT (or really, anything like it -- I'm just an avid gamer that is trying to get back into the computer-literate world that's favorite game unfortunately uses p2p...).

"Can't you just write a iptables rule to drop RST packets destined for your bittorrent port? You could even get clever about it and drop RST packets that come out of the blue, but allow repeated RST packets to pass, so that connections that have really be reset on the far end can be closed." -merreborn, Slashdot (link).

Would that possibly work with peer-to-peer gaming? Is it even anything but bullshit?

I'll probably edit this tomorrow and be more thorough explaining, with a bit more research done. It's 2:50am right now and I've got a pretty important tournament ($1500 prize, anyway) at 4:00 PM :wacko: .

Thanks in advance, I finally broke down a week or so ago when it was basically unplayable, but you'll probably be seeing me a lot more, I need another hobby when I'm not doing anything w/ friends, so you can expect a flood of newbie programming questions :P

Yeah, kinda. You only read half my post or were trying to make me search for a solution myself, but; after Googling & reading a ton of articles, I came up with a few links of products that cost $99-150 (seems like the free ones only give you anonymity surfing the net).

Meh. This current time sucks, seems like everything has changed since even a few years ago -- all so limiting/restricting/basically fuck uppering.

Thanks for your help.

First of all - I'm a newb in this area. I've only recently started doing some research on Comcast & P2P, and I've come across some articles referring to ways to get around it.

Is there a way around them blocking peer-to-peer? I'm hoping they were not BSing. They were talking about for BitTorrent, you could somehow set it to 'force'? I'm not quite sure, I don't really use BT (or really, anything like it -- I'm just an avid gamer that is trying to get back into the computer-literate world that's favorite game unfortunately uses p2p...).

"Can't you just write a iptables rule to drop RST packets destined for your bittorrent port? You could even get clever about it and drop RST packets that come out of the blue, but allow repeated RST packets to pass, so that connections that have really be reset on the far end can be closed." -merreborn, Slashdot (link).

Would that possibly work with peer-to-peer gaming? Is it even anything but bullshit?

I'll probably edit this tomorrow and be more thorough explaining, with a bit more research done. It's 2:50am right now and I've got a pretty important tournament ($1500 prize, anyway) at 4:00 PM :wacko: .

Thanks in advance, I finally broke down a week or so ago when it was basically unplayable, but you'll probably be seeing me a lot more, I need another hobby when I'm not doing anything w/ friends, so you can expect a flood of newbie programming questions :P

Wait a second. You said that you have a game that uses p2p. "p2p" is not a protocol; it is a type of network. There are many protocols that implement p2p, but when you say that "Comcast blocks p2p", you are really referring to individual protocols being blocked, such as bittorrent, etc (take a look here). So even if your game uses p2p you should still be safe; chances are that Comcast is after protocols devoted to torrenting rather than online gaming(although you can't be too sure with Comcast, I guess).

At any rate, encryption wouldn't work for gaming because you would need everybody in the game to be able to implement the encryption on their end.

Also, online gaming uses primarily UDP, so using iptables to drop RST packets would be pointless, since UDP does not use TCP flags such as RST. As for using this method for torrenting, I believe that Comcast would sent the RST packet to not only you but to all the peers you are connected to, so the connection would close on their end, unless they were filtering RST packets too.

Wait a second. You said that you have a game that uses p2p. "p2p" is not a protocol; it is a type of network. There are many protocols that implement p2p, but when you say that "Comcast blocks p2p", you are really referring to individual protocols being blocked, such as bittorrent, etc (take a look here). So even if your game uses p2p you should still be safe; chances are that Comcast is after protocols devoted to torrenting rather than online gaming(although you can't be too sure with Comcast, I guess).

At any rate, encryption wouldn't work for gaming because you would need everybody in the game to be able to implement the encryption on their end.

Also, online gaming uses primarily UDP, so using iptables to drop RST packets would be pointless, since UDP does not use TCP flags such as RST. As for using this method for torrenting, I believe that Comcast would sent the RST packet to not only you but to all the peers you are connected to, so the connection would close on their end, unless they were filtering RST packets too.

Cosign but I was about actually about to ask about this same thing before I read your post. What game?

edit : P2P > pay to play?

Edited by n2oblivion