sshblack

A Nubie Haven

14 posts in this topic

Morning All

Just wanted your thoughts on an idea I have had rolling around for a while. I wanted to set up an information/tutorial website but like "an idiots guide". Possibly in the same concept/genre as irongeek.com. Many sites could tell you about live distros for example, but some people don't know how to burn an iso. or what an iso even is. I find many tutorials for things like dual booting assume you have a lot of technical knowledge, and when I started no-one really wanted to teach the really basic stuff. Basic stuff as "why even use linux?" "what is linux" "what is dual booting?"

I'm sure a site like this could take the weight of other really basic questions like "How do I become a Hacker!?" and "How do I hack windows?" and explain in simple terms to people who are starting in the computer world the reality. When I was learning (well still am learning) I found really basic tutorials sporadic and usually not very well written.

I would like to cover a real range of subjects but in an very basic way. So instead of "how to break windows using ophcrack" having a full topic including "everthing about hashes, different types of hashes, why hashes are used, how prgrammes can break them, what is brute-forcing, which programs really do when brute-forcing?" Taking a subject and really stripping it to it's bare bones.

I wish that one day someone with extremely little computer experience could log on and follow some simple guides and get some confidence to start asking questions and doing there own stuff. As you all know starting out in the tech world is tough as it is extremely varied and pretty elitist.

I'm not saying that I'm going to set this up in a week because it's a mammoth task, but one I think that deserves a place on the web. A super-basic tutorial site!

Comments and suggestions really welcome :)

to be honest it sounds like a very good idea to me :) .......... go for it

i would like to ask you if you would like to include a functionality in the site so when someone wants to contribute to be able to do it, like posting a tutorial or smth....

Yes I would be including something like that, it would certainly have to be monitored or at least adhere to a very strict guideline of "basic-ness!" I think giving people the option to add their own tutorials free-range could be tricky because some people's ideas of simplicity maybe different from others. As long as it passes the basic test I would be very grateful for any submissions. :)

And some simple stuff on how to actually compile programs and run them...

it took me a little while before I figured out to prepend "./" to a program to execute it on Ubuntu. (now that I look back, I could kick myself in the head for not seeing it glaring at me everywhere)

I like the idea.. explain the basics of getting stuff to work.. then expand out to getting stuff done. A kinda 'Elemental Hacking' site?

I was considering a similarish project but from more of a course structured approach. I thought that a VLE/CMS system could be used to put up short, well-defined, hacking (or general programming) courses on a particular topic. People could apply to make a course and they would be responsible for producing learning materials (like notes and whatnot) for people to learn from. I thought it wouldn't be too difficult using a system like Moodle .

I think is a good idea.

Im still a noob an i know how it is. the basic is not relly the

easy things to get good guides on.

so i say go for it!

An i use linux for 3 month before i figure out the ./ part :D

wasn't doc droppers to be used for that same purpose?

i thought doc droppers was like a hacker history lesson.

It does seem like a wiki would be the best way to go about this.

Gawd that would be awesome! :) There's obviously a need for basic linux tutorials and the only reliable things out there for step by steps, that I know of, is a sort of blog mishmash over at Planet lugradio (and that is most definitely not easy to sort through for specific stuff) and various forum posts. A wiki would seem to be your best option. I can see the benefit of keeping your stuff fairly basic and, if you'd like, you can separate articles intended to be part of the project from the rest of the stuff over at docdroppers through the use of categories. Again, it sounds like a great idea :)

Edited by w3lshrarebit

Well I am glad to hear such a positive response! I may then start to compile a list of "absolute" basic tutorials on the forums somewhere and people could add to it with their suggestions for initial topics. I do hope it can take out some of the repitition you experienced guys hear in regards to simple questions.

Onwards!

Sounds kinda like docdroppers.. and other Wiki's that are out there already.. Aren't there lots of sites like this? Why don't you just contribute to those? :o

Whatever route is taken, starting a new one, or contributing to an existing. The initial problem is the same. A total noob needs to know where to go. Maybe some forums could work together and have a page that pops up for new users saying.. "Hey!! YOU! if you don't know what your doing... check out this site" Maybe force that messge on them until they have 10 logins or opt-out of it. That might be useful to get them to read forum rules too.

Gawd that would be awesome! :) There's obviously a need for basic linux tutorials and the only reliable things out there for step by steps, that I know of

http://google.com/linux will help you find tutorials, there really is alot of great stuff out there

http://www.howtoforge.com/ comes to mind

if you're using ubuntu http://ubuntuforums.org/ is excellent.