ranleyos

Windows XP Admin Account Hack

32 posts in this topic

As far as I am aware it ONLY works on Windows XP Pro. and it's two times, not three.

Otherwise you will have to boot into safe mode which will display the default Administrator account.

Edited by friendless

In XP you can boot into safemode and it gives you an open admin account. Use this account to change the password of the other account. Viola.

As far as I am aware it ONLY works on Windows XP Pro. and it's two times, not three.

Otherwise you will have to boot into safe mode which will display the default Administrator account.

Wow, oldish thread. What i meant is that is that when you install WinXP Pro you have to set an admin password (AFAIK) so this little no password trick wont work.

@Irongeek. I have no interest in cracking Windows passwords myself but thanks for the page i can send the newbies :P

You can correct me if I am wrong however I believe the password you create during the administrator is for the pseudo-administrator account basically the one in your username you set-up. The Administrator account itself is still existent without a default password just hidden.

As far as i can remember XP pro wont let you install unless you set the administrator password (for the actual administrator account) but i could be wrong. No doubt i'll end up install XP some time soon so i'll come back and update - unless anyone else knows the actual answer.

Actually, there's a tool in the ultimate boot CD 4 Windows that will take care of this problem for you.

Link: http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm

Just install this on a USB, boot from CD, and look under password tools. The one you want is "NTPWedit", and just follow its instructions. It takes about thirty seconds to reset any password on the system.

-Belatu