Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sagarun

Amarok and xine problem

16 posts in this topic

I am using ubuntu hardy heron..I installed amarok and its xine enginee using synaptic package manager..i installed kaffine too...when i tried to open these two programs it says "Xine is unable to load any audio drivers"

I am using Dell inspiron 1525..my gnome based players(gstreamer) are working good....

Only xine is not working....

And also i tried a lot from ubuntu forums nothing seems to be usefull...

Any suggestions people?

Just for giggles.. were you running Firefox simultaneously? if so... try going to system/administration/System Monitor and kill all firefoxes and try restarting amarok after that.

Just for giggles.. were you running Firefox simultaneously? if so... try going to system/administration/System Monitor and kill all firefoxes and try restarting amarok after that.

Its not working..I tried closing firefox and opened amarok...its not working..(I wonder is firefox and amarok are related??)

Its not working..I tried closing firefox and opened amarok...its not working..(I wonder is firefox and amarok are related??)

I was having some screwy problems awhile back... seems the embedded player in firefox didn't like to play fair with xine... it appears to have fixed itself with the last couple of updates.

Try going to preferences/sound and switching the mixer to oss to alsa, or vice versa... see what happens. (mine is on alsa)

edit)

if you haven't installed medibuntu you might want to give that a try when you get your problems figured out: http://www.medibuntu.org/

Edited by PurpleJesus

I was having some screwy problems awhile back... seems the embedded player in firefox didn't like to play fair with xine... it appears to have fixed itself with the last couple of updates.

Try going to preferences/sound and switching the mixer to oss to alsa, or vice versa... see what happens.

edit)

if you haven't installed medibuntu you might want to give that a try when you get your problems figured out: http://www.medibuntu.org/

I tested switching between two mixers (Intel HDA (alsa) ,OSS (sigmatel))...but still amarok is not working....but i can play songs using other players (VLC,Rhymebox..)

I'm pretty much at a loss.. as I am a Linux noob still myself.. I googled around a bit.. and a couple of places suggested removing xine and reinstalling it. One suggested wiping the xine folder and letting the system recreate it too..

take this with a grain of salt.

i've no idea how to fix the problem, but if it were me i'd install a whole load of stuff, like -

apt-get install libxine-extracodecs amarok-arts amarok-engines amarok-xine libxine1

just looked it up and found this -

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=74719

i didn't find anything with "Xine is unable to load any audio drivers", but there are lots of results with this - "xine could not initialize any audio drivers"

http://www.google.com/search?rls=en&q=...%20drivers'

i've no idea how to fix the problem, but if it were me i'd install a whole load of stuff, like -

apt-get install libxine-extracodecs amarok-arts amarok-engines amarok-xine libxine1

just looked it up and found this -

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=74719

i didn't find anything with "Xine is unable to load any audio drivers", but there are lots of results with this - "xine could not initialize any audio drivers"

http://www.google.com/search?rls=en&q=...%20drivers'

I am sorry but its "xine could not initialize any audio drivers"

The output of your command is

arun@zer0c00l:~$ sudo apt-get install libxine-extracodecs amarok-arts amarok-engines amarok-xine libxine1 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libxine-extracodecs is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
libxine1-ffmpeg
E: Package libxine-extracodecs has no installation candidate
arun@zer0c00l:~$

You mentioned VLC working with audio files...is there any reason you wouldn't just use VLC for video files too? I find it to be generally less of a pain than Xine to work with -- it plays more formats as well (which is important when you have Ogg-encoded Matroska video files, or some such nonsense...). I haven't used Xine since Slackware 10, but I remember leaving it behind because of audio trouble as well.

arun@zer0c00l:~$ sudo apt-get install libxine-extracodecs amarok-arts amarok-engines amarok-xine libxine1 
Building dependency tree
Package libxine-extracodecs is not available, but is referred to by another package.
libxine1-ffmpeg

try these -

apt-get install libxine1-ffmpeg

apt-get install amarok-engines

apt-get install amarok-xine

apt-get install libxine1

i put them separately incase you get another error, you can try the next one. that's just what i would try, i'm not saying it's going to fix it, but it should help if you don't already have the packages.

do you have audio with other programs? maybe it's something to do with pulseaudio? i've never used it, i'm still using an old version of linux. you can check you're added to the audio group with this command -

grep audio /etc/group

and if you need to add yourself add your username like this -

adduser YOUR_USERNAME audio

I re-read your first post, i suppose you do have audio working elsewhere. i don't know what else to say :| but, there are millons of ubuntu users who love helping find solutions, it shouldn't be too difficult tracking some down lol

EDIT, i haven't read this thread, i had it open in a tab, it might have a fix -

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=102064

Edited by iceni

Note that I am not at all an expert on xine or any other matters related to audio drivers. What I can see is that this problem is not related to faulty sound drivers (obviously, the drivers work with other programs). So what could possibly give rise to your error message? Could it be a problem with the sound architecture? Perhaps your alsa or oss drivers do not interface well with xine? Try installing new versions of alsa or oss. Maybe it could be that your specific xine version is just incompatible with the sound architectures and that a newer version could easily fix this disparity. So installing a new version of xine may fix the problem too. Obviously, your sound cards work fine with VLC. So what is VLC doing correctly? What sound architecture is it interfacing with? OSS? ALSA? And do you have a ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/ in your home directory? I read somewhere that people who were experiencing similar problems had them resolved by removing that directory. Could it be that amarok tries to initiate KDE related audio framework while also resolving to run ALSA or OSS? All that is speculation. Just try removing ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/ if you have it.

Edited by latiffs

Building dependency tree
libxine1-ffmpeg

try these -

apt-get install libxine1-ffmpeg

apt-get install amarok-engines

apt-get install amarok-xine

apt-get install libxine1

i put them separately incase you get another error, you can try the next one. that's just what i would try, i'm not saying it's going to fix it, but it should help if you don't already have the packages.

do you have audio with other programs? maybe it's something to do with pulseaudio? i've never used it, i'm still using an old version of linux. you can check you're added to the audio group with this command -

grep audio /etc/group

and if you need to add yourself add your username like this -

adduser YOUR_USERNAME audio

I re-read your first post, i suppose you do have audio working elsewhere. i don't know what else to say :| but, there are millons of ubuntu users who love helping find solutions, it shouldn't be too difficult tracking some down lol

EDIT, i haven't read this thread, i had it open in a tab, it might have a fix -

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=102064

I checked that..i am already in audio group .....Also i recently recompiled my alsa driver...yes in IRC people are helping with great enthusiasm...I love that...Thanks for the help frnd...

(by the way according to your first post(the link to ubuntuforums) i used that "sudo adduser -G audio arun" command and i was unloaded from all other groups except :D LOL...Then i went into recovery mode and recovered)

Note that I am not at all an expert on xine or any other matters related to audio drivers. What I can see is that this problem is not related to faulty sound drivers (obviously, the drivers work with other programs). So what could possibly give rise to your error message? Could it be a problem with the sound architecture? Perhaps your alsa or oss drivers do not interface well with xine? Try installing new versions of alsa or oss. Maybe it could be that your specific xine version is just incompatible with the sound architectures and that a newer version could easily fix this disparity. So installing a new version of xine may fix the problem too. Obviously, your sound cards work fine with VLC. So what is VLC doing correctly? What sound architecture is it interfacing with? OSS? ALSA? And do you have a ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/ in your home directory? I read somewhere that people who were experiencing similar problems had them resolved by removing that directory. Could it be that amarok tries to initiate KDE related audio framework while also resolving to run ALSA or OSS? All that is speculation. Just try removing ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok/ if you have it.

yeah i have that in my home directory...i cleaned that directory...still the problem..continues...also i have the latest wine installed.....anyhow thanks for the help...

is there a reason why it has to be Amarok? there are various bugs with it on bugtrackers, one might be your problem. there's the gtk clone called exaile, as well as Listen, Quod Libet, Rhythmbox, Banshee and BMPx. there's mpd too, it has a lot of frontends.

Banshee has just had a point release - Banshee 1.0, it's supposed to be really good with big music libraries, it's been totally re-written to be fast.