Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twirlz

programs to test motherboards

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of some programs that test parts of motherboards? I have a box i'm using that has three slots and i have them full but windows and the bios only recognizes two of the 256's of three. i have pulled each piece of ram and moved the around and tried them in other boxes so i think its the board.

any suggestions are welcome

thanks.

I've had boards like this. It's most likely nothing wrong with the RAM or the board, but the board is incompatible with the RAM. I had a number of high-density SDRAM modules I couldn't use with a certain motherboard. Using them would cause all sorts of odd errors, sometimes the RAM would show up, other times it wouldn't. Other times it would only see half of the other module and none of the high-density module.

In the long run, it may be more economical to just get a new board. If you just can't get it to work and you think it's broken, there's probably nothing you can do about it anyway. Unless it's brand new, about the only option is to chuck it into the round filing cabinet and get a replacement board.

I've had boards like this. It's most likely nothing wrong with the RAM or the board, but the board is incompatible with the RAM. I had a number of high-density SDRAM modules I couldn't use with a certain motherboard. Using them would cause all sorts of odd errors, sometimes the RAM would show up, other times it wouldn't. Other times it would only see half of the other module and none of the high-density module.

In the long run, it may be more economical to just get a new board. If you just can't get it to work and you think it's broken, there's probably nothing you can do about it anyway. Unless it's brand new, about the only option is to chuck it into the round filing cabinet and get a replacement board.

Yeah i would buy a new board if i had the money to do that. i put to get a box with parts i had around and lucked out that the board was the same socket as some processors i had. I do want to put more ram into it. new ram is cheaper than a new board with the size i want. i'll try that out and if anything i have more ram for a future box.

If you want you can try my OS, DexOS if you type

sysinfo <enter>

At the CLI it will tell you the amount of usable ram, it very small and will boot from a floppy or cd, usb fob etc.

Just do a search in google, as i do not want to spam.

Edited by Dex