stacksmasher

Gas Gang Uses 'Never-Before-Seen' Device To Hack, Steal From P

24 posts in this topic

Doesn't sound like the same thing, but there was recently the story of a modified trailer that would drive onto a gas station's lot and park over top of one of the hatches used to put fuel into the tanks. The trailer had some kind of elaborate siphoning setup inside that literally lowered some hoses into the tank and swiped it right from there.

Doesn't sound like the same thing, but there was recently the story of a modified trailer that would drive onto a gas station's lot and park over top of one of the hatches used to put fuel into the tanks. The trailer had some kind of elaborate siphoning setup inside that literally lowered some hoses into the tank and swiped it right from there.

Yeah, I heard a story a few years ago about a van that had the same setup, they did it when the gas stations were closed, there was a hole cut on the bottom of the van so they could siphen into some large tanks inside of it. The only reason they were caught is some police offers were looking for someone who stole a go-cart type vechile and happen to peak into the guys garage.

Well, didn't Johns Hopkins announce sometime last year that they had cracked the Mobil Speedpass?

All the gas stations around here have some sort of RFID reader to make getting gas easier.

Personally, I say good for them. I have trouble shedding a tear for some fat cat oil exec and the station is probably insured.

These machines are probably very insecure. Most people don't even realize how computerized they are. An easy way to haxor such a machine would be to throw the calibration off. You'd still pay for it but pay less. Gas pump calibration has become kind of a big thing there, there are a lot of rural stations with old or under-maintained pumps that can shaft you if you're not careful. The problem is only multiplied by higher gas prices.

Of course doing this is self-defeating. With such high gas prices, people will be doing this more often. Which means gas station operators will need to raise prices to cover the loss and implement better security. Which means yet higher gas prices. I saw a news story about people stealing diesel from farmers in California. A hugely stupid idea, that's only going to make them go out of business or drive the price of food even higher. Stealing gas only hurts yourself. Bite the bullet, sell your SUV and buy something sane.

interesting article...makes me want to get my hands on a pump

I remember my father telling me of a scheme..

it was the seventies...

This ring of gas thieves rigged up a suction pump in the trunk of their car with a hose on a reel. The access to it was hidden behind the flip down license plate. They would drive to the mall, park beside their target car. pull the hose out and shove it in... hit a switch and pump out the vic's gas.

-road trip anyone? ;)

those nigs in the mugshot just dont look like the techie type. they must have some white friends.

Knock that crap off.

those nigs in the mugshot just dont look like the techie type. they must have some white friends.

I'm sure the cops came to the same conclusion. :P

Whoever did creat that device must have had a descent understanding of the firmware those pumps used. Possibly a fomor employee.

Seems like a lot of work to get free gas, why not just siphon gas from other cars? A lot of people are getting locking gas caps nowdays but I'm sure you can pry them off with a little effort.

Bite the bullet, sell your SUV and buy something sane.

I see that car lots in my area are saturated with used SUVs.

Bite the bullet, sell your SUV and buy something sane.

I see that car lots in my area are saturated with used SUVs.

Now they're telling everybody not to sell their SUVs/trucks. No-one wants to buy them so car lots cant sell them.

Can't say I really feel that sorry for most people because they didn't need a fucking SUV in the first place.

I own an Chevy Trailblaze. Am I sorry I bought one no. I unfortunately need it almost everyday. Not only do I haul al kinds of stuff everywhere. I use it when we take our dogs with us. It is our only vehicle at the moment but we are looking at getting a small car to tool around town with. I love my suv even if it is a gas guzzerler. It gets better than my last 2 cars (souped up 1986 Trans Am 8 mpg on a good day and a 1995 Sunfire that when it started to have lots of problems I was getting 12 mpg.) So at 18 to 21 in town with it being packed full of computers or clothes or whetever I am pretty happy.

why not just siphon gas from other cars?

If I was desperate/crazy enough to steal gas, I'd much rather steal it from Shell (who announced $27.6bn profit for 2007) or other gas company, than from people's cars off the street. Usually, the older the car the easier it is to steal gas. So some poor guy who's filled his aging car with $60 of gas can hardly afford to fuel another's habit too.

Come the end of the month, if someone siphoned my car I'd be screwed - no work, no shopping, nothing. Stop stealing my gas Tao! ;)

I don't drive but if I was stealing gas i'd drive to the 200,000 homes and steal it from the first SUV I found.

But like.. aren't u supposed to spot BEFORE the crime? What the hell...? And like in broad daylight? Wonder what the hell they used... and what are they gonna do with the gas, ebay that shit?

But like.. aren't u supposed to spot BEFORE the crime? What the hell...? And like in broad daylight? Wonder what the hell they used... and what are they gonna do with the gas, ebay that shit?

I'm like, guessing like, they were like going to put it like in their cars like and drive around like with it like. Like.

These machines are probably very insecure. Most people don't even realize how computerized they are. An easy way to haxor such a machine would be to throw the calibration off. You'd still pay for it but pay less. Gas pump calibration has become kind of a big thing there, there are a lot of rural stations with old or under-maintained pumps that can shaft you if you're not careful. The problem is only multiplied by higher gas prices.

Of course doing this is self-defeating. With such high gas prices, people will be doing this more often. Which means gas station operators will need to raise prices to cover the loss and implement better security. Which means yet higher gas prices. I saw a news story about people stealing diesel from farmers in California. A hugely stupid idea, that's only going to make them go out of business or drive the price of food even higher. Stealing gas only hurts yourself. Bite the bullet, sell your SUV and buy something sane.

I agree with ohm.

I also would like to get my hands on a gas pump, but wouldnt bother. Just get it out of other peoples cars if you really feel like stealing it :P

If anyone with one of these machines reads this forum I say that you should start stealing the gas, then filling up random peoples tanks. We could use a modern day Robin Hood

why not just siphon gas from other cars?

If I was desperate/crazy enough to steal gas, I'd much rather steal it from Shell (who announced $27.6bn profit for 2007) or other gas company, than from people's cars off the street. Usually, the older the car the easier it is to steal gas. So some poor guy who's filled his aging car with $60 of gas can hardly afford to fuel another's habit too.

Come the end of the month, if someone siphoned my car I'd be screwed - no work, no shopping, nothing. Stop stealing my gas Tao! ;)

This is a common problem in ethics when it comes to any aspect of hacking.

In many ways, or at least in some demented way in my head, this makes a great parallel to some of the issues faced by people who like to get out from the computer lab and into the city for some exploration. I have definitely had a girlfriend or two hook her arm underneath mine with force because I was veering in the direction of an unlocked kiosk that some employee had neglected to re-secure. Although all I wanted to do in these situations was poke around and maybe take some pictures with my camphone, the ethical dillemma didn't occur to me until later: if I was seen on camera exploiting even the most benign of security holes, that employee could lose their job. Were they to expect that they had someone with a superior understanding of their systems hanging around in their stores looking for an opportunity to gain access? Not really. These people are underpaid and unfortunately, if I might make a sweeping broad generalization, undereducated. They're not being so much lazy as they just lack the foresight to see the implications. I, on the other hand, can see from over a decade of self education from internet newsgroups, zines and community just how much of an opportunity this is for a hacker. But perhaps, just perhaps, the implications of exploiting the physical security vulnerabilities in regards to the person whose simple mistake it might have been may elude me.

It is that nagging girlfriend or overcautious best friend (also known as noob) who can sometimes save us from our overzealous selves.

Man, I missed this place. Intelligent discourse isn't exactly... rampant on the internet these days.

One bad thing that I use to do was to steal the gas pump stickers while I was filling up.

I still have a whole collection of them stored away in a book

OCTANE.gif

Play stupid games/win stupid prizes hahah Happy Friday

That reminds me of a gas station. For some reason some states premium gas is 91 octane (I think these are the states that follow CARB standards) and other states 93 octane.... yet for some reason there;s a place here that has 92 octane... isn't that weird.

Anyways if you want to steal gas and not get caught why don't you just clone credit cards? They aren't going to know for ~1 month until the person disputes the charges and all the paperwork gets sorted out. Not saying you should steal gas in any form.... but it would be interesting to know how those "devices" work and how the gas pumps work too..... Maybe they just used to work at a gas station that had the same brand of pumps and they are just using some sort of "test key?" Anyone ever seen the inside of a gas pump? How do they work? I was at the station I mentioned above a week or so ago and all the screens on the pumps were either blank or frozen (text normally scrolls on them) yet they were able to control the pumps from the register. I remember I prepaid $40 since I only needed 1/2 tank and it even shut off at $40 so I wonder if the credit card reader/pin pad and the rest of the pump are separate units? Imagine if it was as easy as jumping a relay in the pump? How about the gas stations with "anceint" pumps (or "very modern" ones... alot of Shell stations seem to have those)

And about stealing gas.... you know that generally Exxon and Shell, etc don't own gas stations. Gas station pays the oilco for the gasoline that gets delivered. If you steal from the gas station you aren't stealing from Texaco, etc you are stealing from the owner of the gas station. Not cool. I'd imagine they have enough to deal with the credit card fees and credit card fraud (chargebacks) as it is.

This is a common problem in ethics when it comes to any aspect of hacking.

In many ways, or at least in some demented way in my head, this makes a great parallel to some of the issues faced by people who like to get out from the computer lab and into the city for some exploration. I have definitely had a girlfriend or two hook her arm underneath mine with force because I was veering in the direction of an unlocked kiosk that some employee had neglected to re-secure. Although all I wanted to do in these situations was poke around and maybe take some pictures with my camphone, the ethical dillemma didn't occur to me until later: if I was seen on camera exploiting even the most benign of security holes, that employee could lose their job. Were they to expect that they had someone with a superior understanding of their systems hanging around in their stores looking for an opportunity to gain access? Not really. These people are underpaid and unfortunately, if I might make a sweeping broad generalization, undereducated. They're not being so much lazy as they just lack the foresight to see the implications. I, on the other hand, can see from over a decade of self education from internet newsgroups, zines and community just how much of an opportunity this is for a hacker. But perhaps, just perhaps, the implications of exploiting the physical security vulnerabilities in regards to the person whose simple mistake it might have been may elude me.

It is that nagging girlfriend or overcautious best friend (also known as noob) who can sometimes save us from our overzealous selves.

Man, I missed this place. Intelligent discourse isn't exactly... rampant on the internet these days.

Very well stated. Many of the exploratory types often lack the foresight to think of the consequences. We don't mean any harm; we're just too occupied with curiosity to think of what could potentially result.