goatmale

Advice on getting a laptop?

24 posts in this topic

Where would be the best place to get a laptop, what brand should I choose and any other advice would be appreciated.

I am going to use it as my windows computer and want to maybe play a game or two(orange box caliber). I also want to use it with a backtrack live cd and was wondering if wireless drivers are usually an issue with backtrack. Also if you know of any good sales I would be happy to hear about those too.

thanks.

:)

i get most of my tech stuff from www.newegg.com

I'd avoid Dell and HP/Compaq. I've had many problems with those brands in the past, and they tend to be flimsy (especially the Dells). If I were to buy a new laptop, I'd go with either a Lenovo or a Tosh (Toshiba). If price is no object, then I would go with a Panasonic Toughbook.

New? Used?

I have always liked and recommend IBM (now Lenovo) ThinkPad laptops. Sturdy cases, and minimal "wierd" hardware that doesn't play well with non-Windows systems. May want to add an external PCMCIA wireless card with a known good chipset, just in case.

(I have an older Thinkpad at home... if I think about it tonight, I'll pop in a Backtrack CD and see if it can find the wireless card.)

Where would be the best place to get a laptop, what brand should I choose and any other advice would be appreciated.

I am going to use it as my windows computer and want to maybe play a game or two(orange box caliber).

Could you tell us a bit about what size (small/widescreen) you want, how much your willing to spend, etc...

At the moment i'm just thinking of huge lists of Vaio/ tough-book/ alienware computers. They all do what you want :P

I second the IBM/Lenovo ThinkPads. I used a T40 for a long time, and a 600X before that...both were great laptops, and are still running and in use today. ThinkPad hardware is usually well-supported under Linux, as mentioned. One thing to watch out for is a BIOS lock on some newer ThinkPads preventing the installation of "Non IBM Approved" wireless cards...there's a patch to disable it, which works well, but it's just something to be aware of. I'd buy one used or refurbished, depending on what you're looking for as far as specs. I got my T40 three years ago (freshman year of college) for $450 from eBay.

I've since bought a secondhand Apple PowerBook G4 15", which is a very nice laptop as well. I don't use Windows, but I need a machine that will run MS Office (for some things, OpenOffice just doesn't cut it...mostly with things sent to me from professors). Of course, unless you get an Intel-based Apple laptop, you'll be running Windows through virtualization, and if Windows is your end goal anyway, this doesn't make much sense.

Go with a lenovo or a macbook, you can't go wrong with either.

Another vote for the Lenovo, so far as a PC goes. My T30 was purchased around late '02 and still runs like a champ. It runs Linux with minimal fuss. With a standard Debian Testing install the only hardware that did not function was the modem. After a quick apt-get install everything worked flawlessly.

If you're going to look at a Mac wait until after the upcoming Dev. Conference. Apple is rumored to be coming out with a new aluminum Mac Book. Of course Apple rumors are more often incorrect. Apple is known for bringing up new products with no warning though.

Edited by vvuiverine

Lenovo its quite good choice....try to stay away from Acer....i had personal experience with Acer and they suck big time!!!!

I've seen a toshiba run over by a 4 wheeler multiple times and still run like a champ, and also one dropped from 10 ft and run like a champ(though I don't recommend actually doing either). So if you are kinda tough on your equipment consider maybe a toshiba, or (I'm assuming they're still pretty tough) a lenovo. Game wise though there is a toshiba gaming laptop series, I don't believe there is any such thing in the lenovo line.

I am going to use it as my windows computer and want to maybe play a game or two(orange box caliber). I also want to use it with a backtrack live cd and was wondering if wireless drivers are usually an issue with backtrack. Also if you know of any good sales I would be happy to hear about those too.

thanks.

:)

youre asking a very broad question that will generate alot of different answers, dont expect to get any non-bias responses. basically when people tell you that Dell, HP, Gateway, or whatever sucks, they really dont have any idea what theyre talking about. some people will even tell you that dell makes crappy hardware or HP make crappy hardware, but in reality none of them really manufacture most of the components that go into the computers they sell. take a look inside a dell computer and youll find harddrives from samsung, maxtor, seagate or whatever, youll find video cards made by nvidia or ATI, youll find processors by intel or AMD, motherboards from asus or intel, optical drives from sony or plextor, ricoh cardbus chipsets, webcams by creative, bluetooth chips by toshiba, batteries from sony, the list goes on. so for someone to say that a computer sucks simply because it has a Dell or HP badge straped on the cover is just fucking silly. I've owned and currently own a few dell laptops and couple HP laptops one is an older inspiron 6000 that is a fucking tank. i used to drive a company vehicle on a route in las vegas and this computer was with me all day every day inside the cab in the heat of summer getting bumped dusty dirty dropped a couple of times even took a 4 foot fall off the dresser onto the floor and didnt even flinch. it has a cracked case missing keys scratches heavy wear spots on the palm rest and the touch pad, and the fucker still wont die, i havent had to replace a single part on it since ive had it and i still use it today for certain things.on the other hand some people may buy a brand new laptop and have problems with it right away, this happens with any company you buy from, and warranties will usually fix problems that arent due to abuse.

I can understand your argument. but design is an important factor and mostly differs by brand and model, I want to get something designed to last, like your tank.

have always liked and recommend IBM (now Lenovo) ThinkPad laptops

i Agree, they are practicaly invicible, not mention great proformance. i have one myself and love it

You may want to look into the new Turion X2 Ultra AMD chips if you're looking for performance. I've been holding off getting a new laptop until I can see the benchmarks on the things, but it's looking promising, and they seem priced to sell. The chip is supposed to be extremely power efficient as well.

Expect to see them hit the market in the coming days. Hopefully they hold up to the hype.

I'd avoid Dell and HP/Compaq... I'd go with either a Lenovo or a Tosh (Toshiba).

I so strongly (to the point of physical violence) believe that Toshiba laptops are the worst machines ever (having owned 8, 5 different years) that I spent two hours writing a polite, carefully wordsmithed, and detailed letter, and mailed to 10 top executives.

They are so HORRIBLE for so MANY reasons. Everything from their external design to their internal design, is remarkably terrible. It's like they made a list of everything good about a laptop, reversed all of them, and then said "Hey, all this stuff that we're doing wrong, lets do it all with proprietary hardware too!" My favorite example is that I had a laptop that would only run windows vista. Impossible you say?! No! :grr:

Nearly all of the hardware in the machine was a proprietary OEM chipest, and there were NO drivers available that I could find for Windows XP after an hour of searching, and I like to think that I have fairly decent google-fu. (Linux, no distro of my usual 8, would even boot the machine).

Actually, I take that back, slax booted into a terminal, but nothing really worked.

As for Dell, I'm not sure why you don't like them. I sware by Dell laptops, and dell has the best warranty program I have seen. They have repaired/replaced several machines for me (because I break them and lie and blame a system problem), and then almost always do a great job. Last month I just bought a nice dell laptop from Dell Outlet (the refurbished store) and saved 300 dollars compared to the model they have in the regular dell store.

Hehe, and my new dell can do email for 6 hours on a single charge. ^_^

Edited by Drake Anubis

but in reality none of them really manufacture most of the components that go into the computers they sell

I had a specific laptop in which all of the major components where Toshiba branded and specific to only Toshiba, otherwise I agree with you.

I have to agree with DA that Toshiba is teh sux0rz. The only good thing about them is they're not too hard to take apart (if you're into doing your own repairs). I don't know what the beef with HP is around here, but I've had nothing but a lovely, intimate relationship with mine. Easily upgradeable, durable, and awesome hardware. I've tried about 4-5 Linux distros and they all worked except for Suse. HP's also look sexy and have great features like a remote/17" widescreen. The only downside is that the battery life is not so great with that big screen.

IBM's are also good. Simple but sturdy. I am biased against Dell, so I won't speak there. As vector said, it all comes down to the hardware that's in the machine. The manufacturers just put the hardware in a box. Do your research on the specs and look for what you need. If size or portability is an issue, keep that in mind. If you like to watch movies, maybe go with a widescreen laptop.

Fujitsu, IBM/Lenovo, & Apple are by far the best I have used. HPs are good if you get the business laptops, the consumer models are cheaply made. I used to love toshibas about 7-8 years ago, but since then they are becoming crap. Dell are pretty decent on the consumer side, but not impressive in horsepower. Gateway/Acer I know next to nothing about.

Where would be the best place to get a laptop

The backseat of a car parked on a dark street, or a snatch and run at your local Starbucks. Technology should be free anyway.

technology should be free anyway.

Information should be free, not some guys $1000 laptop he paid out of the ass for.

technology should be free anyway.

Information should be free, not some guys $1000 laptop he paid out of the ass for.

For that matter, just steal the car, too. :)

I have seen some real good deals on laptops and other computer parts on craigslist.

The only thing that I don't like about craigslist is that you don't know if the stuff is stolen or not.

I'd avoid Dell and HP/Compaq... I'd go with either a Lenovo or a Tosh (Toshiba).

I so strongly (to the point of physical violence) believe that Toshiba laptops are the worst machines ever (having owned 8, 5 different years) that I spent two hours writing a polite, carefully wordsmithed, and detailed letter, and mailed to 10 top executives.

Wow, Toshiba used to make very good laptops. I have two of them. One, a Tecra 720CDT, is from 1996, and that thing is built like a tank! I'm actually using it as a little file server. It's on 24/7. I guess the quality control declined over the years at Toshiba.

if i had the chance i swear i will piss on the chairman for toshiba or at least the lead excutive group for toshiba machine's...

i go with dell for many reason's

reason 1- my father bought a dell labtop the latitude L400 to be exact and i swear till this day it never crashed on me and

i manged to dual-boot it with DEBIAN and XP and it's faster then any toshiba shit hole....and it only has 10 gig HDD (128 mb of ram)

reason 2-dell isn't overpriced like lenove....i mean c'mon you can't find a thinkpad for under 600$ top's... -_-

reason 3-the warranty program !!PWN3D!!

reason 2-dell isn't overpriced like lenove....i mean c'mon you can't find a thinkpad for under 600$ top's...

Yep. Worth every penny.