Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seal

Wargames 2 - The Movie

24 posts in this topic

I don't understand why they are calling it wargames2, they might as well have not changed the names and just remade it if they were going to make a shitty sequel. The plot and essentially the entire movie looks exactly the same but with new fancy graphics and less 80s.

If they use Windows and VB at all in the movie, I'm protesting.. :P

Still watch the original. Didn't know there was gonna be a second!

:D

EDIT - Trailer looks pants, the only way to win is to not watch the movie!

Edited by Swerve

Yeah,

For all intended purposes it might be something entertaining... or atleast a good laugh B)

Yeah,

For all intended purposes it might be something entertaining... or atleast a good laugh B)

Yeah... the first was a good laugh... Still don't know how he wardialed with that acoustic coupler as fast as he did..

#2 should be a real gut-chuckler.

Hmm, dont shoot me, but I think it will be quite exciting, (while technically illiterate), but with that aside it looks quite good really. :)

Now I've got to watch wargames again, I haven't seen it for ages!

edit:

51IJx-WGfjL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Well the cover seems a bit wierd though? It had nothing to do with cars... wait, whats that building between them?

Edited by Poetic-Justice

Why remake a good (considering) movie in such a shitty way? No one (except us) remembers wargames, so it's not like they're going to get any name recognition or anything. I bet it'll end up on the sci-fi channel with all their barely-B movie junk.

Well... looks like it's a "direct to video" masterpiece. So likely not to be this summer's blockbuster hit.

Go watch Real Genius instead. Much better.

Errrr. That does look terrible. To me, it look like a complete ripoff of the original - but with a "gamer" instead of a "hacker". WTF.

This is what happens when Ghost In The Shell meets inbreeding.

...but with a "gamer" instead of a "hacker". WTF.

lmao, so what this time... "evil gamer games into top secret government computer!"

or maybe:

"Your kid could be a gamer! If he is seen accessing any websites such as "miniclip.com" (an evil, malicious gamer site), you should take the proper precautions... a.k.a. SHOOT THE KID!"

So I finally got around to watching it.

My review: It's shit.

It's like a Uwe Boll movie: they have the money, they have the actors, but the director is so bad that everything falters as a consequence. Here's a rundown of my experience:

1 MINUTE IN:

The movie begins with a bunch of white hot chicks getting off a truck in a supposed Taliban camp in northern Afghanistan, along with some weapons and ammo. The men waiting at the camp like the chicks (I'm not going to nitpick here and point out that the Taliban have a certain thing against unveiled women). Incidentally, the jihadists are all white too. Only they have beards. And they have kids running around with desert eagles - but that's all good, because two seconds later a Predator plane blows everyone up (including the kids, apparently.)

3 MINUTES IN:

Our main character plays a super-advanced video game. How anyone can fuck this up is beyond me. In Hackers, they used a pre-rendered version of a nextgen console title for their scene. In this game, they used pre-rendered graphics that look like they were done by a high school student with a fresh copy of 3D studio max. It really looks worse than the real-time rendered graphics of any current games... heck, even games released 8 years ago looked better than this.

6 MINUTES IN:

I burst out laughing in an apparently serious scene. And hey look, they rehashed the towers abstractly representing the innards of a supercomputer from the original Hackers.

8 MINUTES IN:

Apparently - this is the Military's genius plan: they have a supercomputer, whose job it is to monitor an online videogame. When people reach level 5 in the game, it sends out an armed Predator drone to kill them, because apparently only terrorists are good at video games. The military chiefs find this to be a genious idea. I'm guessing they were also the ones behind the Iraq war.

10 MINUTES IN:

This is a Canadian movie? I recognize one of the main actors as being in a Quebec movie I saw recently (Bon Cop Bad Cop)... and they're talking about excursions to Montreal. Hrmm... Also hot chick introduced as love object for main character. She doesn't look like she vomits for breakfast too. Maybe more of an indication that this is a Canadian film?

12 MINUTES IN:

The protagonists are supposed to be in HIGH SCHOOL? They all look older than me, and I've graduated from university! *checks wikipedia* The chick that's supposed to be a high schooler is in fact 27. Oh, this is just getting better and better. :D

13 MINUTES IN:

Apparently, looking at a computer screen is boring. Which, granted, it is if done in a movie for more than a few seconds. As if it is assumed that the audience in question are a bunch of ADD adolescents on crack, the director chose to spruce up any scenes where the contents of a monitor is the object of focus by constantly shifting the virtual camera - either by panning, changing the perspective or whatnot. The end result is that I can't make out what we're supposed to see on those screens (that's why they're being shown, after all) without getting a migraine.

14 MINUTES IN:

Use of crack makes migraine go away.

20 MINUTES IN:

Main character stumbles on $100,000. He uses some of the money to play the military's game, which apparently requires you to place wagers on whether you can beat it or not within a time limit. His $5000 wager immediately garns the interest of the military. The presentation for the game menu bears strange resemblance to a typical hentai game, what with a hot anime chick verbally enticing you to play her and all. Apparently, terrorists have similar tastes in video games as 15 year old white American boys. The protagonist beats the game just as the timer predictably reaches 0:00.

22 MINUTES IN:

Military now convinced that the protagonist is a terrorist. He beat the game on level 5. Somehow, they install a trojan on his computer by shutting down the power to his city. With the trojan now installed, they have the ability to spy on him via his webcam. They now see that the kid is 16 years old. But that doesn't phase them at all, and they remain convinced that this white American teenager that lives in an American city and which played a video game featuring a hot anime chick is supposedly a terrorist for doing just that.

Need I really go on? This is a pile of shit. Still, I recommend you watch it with friends if you're very high/drunk or in some other state of inebriation.

Edited by Seal

Hmm, dont shoot me, but I think it will be quite exciting, (while technically illiterate), but with that aside it looks quite good really. :)

Now I've got to watch wargames again, I haven't seen it for ages!

edit:

51IJx-WGfjL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Well the cover seems a bit wierd though? It had nothing to do with cars... wait, whats that building between them?

check it out, the geeksquad is behind him!

200px-06-07_Volkswagen_Beetle_GeekSquad.jpg

So I finally got around to watching it.

My review: It's shit.

It's like a Uwe Boll movie: they have the money, they have the actors, but the director is so bad that everything falters as a consequence. Here's a rundown of my experience:

1 MINUTE IN:

The movie begins with a bunch of white hot chicks getting off a truck in a supposed Taliban camp in northern Afghanistan, along with some weapons and ammo. The men waiting at the camp like the chicks (I'm not going to nitpick here and point out that the Taliban have a certain thing against unveiled women). Incidentally, the jihadists are all white too. Only they have beards. And they have kids running around with desert eagles - but that's all good, because two seconds later a Predator plane blows everyone up (including the kids, apparently.)

3 MINUTES IN:

Our main character plays a super-advanced video game. How anyone can fuck this up is beyond me. In Hackers, they used a pre-rendered version of a nextgen console title for their scene. In this game, they used pre-rendered graphics that look like they were done by a high school student with a fresh copy of 3D studio max. It really looks worse than the real-time rendered graphics of any current games... heck, even games released 8 years ago looked better than this.

6 MINUTES IN:

I burst out laughing in an apparently serious scene. And hey look, they rehashed the towers abstractly representing the innards of a supercomputer from the original Hackers.

8 MINUTES IN:

Apparently - this is the Military's genius plan: they have a supercomputer, whose job it is to monitor an online videogame. When people reach level 5 in the game, it sends out an armed Predator drone to kill them, because apparently only terrorists are good at video games. The military chiefs find this to be a genious idea. I'm guessing they were also the ones behind the Iraq war.

10 MINUTES IN:

This is a Canadian movie? I recognize one of the main actors as being in a Quebec movie I saw recently (Bon Cop Bad Cop)... and they're talking about excursions to Montreal. Hrmm... Also hot chick introduced as love object for main character. She doesn't look like she vomits for breakfast too. Maybe more of an indication that this is a Canadian film?

12 MINUTES IN:

The protagonists are supposed to be in HIGH SCHOOL? They all look older than me, and I've graduated from university! *checks wikipedia* The chick that's supposed to be a high schooler is in fact 27. Oh, this is just getting better and better. :D

13 MINUTES IN:

Apparently, looking at a computer screen is boring. Which, granted, it is if done in a movie for more than a few seconds. As if it is assumed that the audience in question are a bunch of ADD adolescents on crack, the director chose to spruce up any scenes where the contents of a monitor is the object of focus by constantly shifting the virtual camera - either by panning, changing the perspective or whatnot. The end result is that I can't make out what we're supposed to see on those screens (that's why they're being shown, after all) without getting a migraine.

14 MINUTES IN:

Use of crack makes migraine go away.

20 MINUTES IN:

Main character stumbles on $100,000. He uses some of the money to play the military's game, which apparently requires you to place wagers on whether you can beat it or not within a time limit. His $5000 wager immediately garns the interest of the military. The presentation for the game menu bears strange resemblance to a typical hentai game, what with a hot anime chick verbally enticing you to play her and all. Apparently, terrorists have similar tastes in video games as 15 year old white American boys. The protagonist beats the game just as the timer predictably reaches 0:00.

22 MINUTES IN:

Military now convinced that the protagonist is a terrorist. He beat the game on level 5. Somehow, they install a trojan on his computer by shutting down the power to his city. With the trojan now installed, they have the ability to spy on him via his webcam. They now see that the kid is 16 years old. But that doesn't phase them at all, and they remain convinced that this white American teenager that lives in an American city and which played a video game featuring a hot anime chick is supposedly a terrorist for doing just that.

Need I really go on? This is a pile of shit. Still, I recommend you watch it with friends if you're very high/drunk or in some other state of inebriation.

I'm buying it, just because it sounds like it will be worth lots on ebay sometime in the future.

Edit: It's $9 at HMV!

Also, the game from hackers was Wipeout Concept (Never Released) for the PC.

Edited by IndexPhinger

Pet peeve: almost all the francophones pictured in the film to be in Montreal have France French accents. Not Quebecqer accents. Its like having a movie set in Britain, where everyone that's supposedly English speaks with American accents. :roll:

Edited by Seal

Pet peeve: almost all the francophones pictured in the film to be in Montreal have France French accents. Not Quebecqer accents. Its like having a movie set in Britain, where everyone that's supposedly English speaks with American accents. :roll:

Bah.

Don't you know there are only two languages in the world?

"American" and "Not-American".

:)

I do admit it was a shitty sequel, but I really liked it because it referenced the original.

The two teenagers meet up with an old Professor Falken who takes them to some weird power facility where the original WOPR computer is, and they use the WOPR to basically bombard the new renegade computer with game scenarios.

I also liked the bit where the kid gets a dial tone on the payphone the same way Broderick did in the first film with a soda can tab.

Other than those bits, its pretty much garbage, but so is most stuff nowadays.

It was a nice movie to watch while drunk on some "Free Movie site"

Other then that I would not pay to see this movie.

The presentation for the game menu bears strange resemblance to a typical hentai game

How do you know that?

I mostly agree, this movie sucked, but that alone doesn't mean it's "Canada's fault", a lot of great movies are filmed here..

Anyway, they messed this us... who was their targetted audience? gamers and 12 year old script kiddies? ;)

What the hell btw? Not a single Unix system in this entire movie? What kind of genius would be using Windows XP?...

Again, another poorly researched Hackers clone... they hacked the Gibson alright.. :roll:

Edited by BSDfan

This movies is good for when you want to switch off your brain...nope...can't do that...

Anyways, this discussion I saw last night, downloaded the movie whilst I slept and then dove into it today, I have seen it before, but I couldn't remember that much of it.

So, basically, here is what I thought of it:

Basically, this kid helps his neighbour fix his computer with which he has been having trouble accessing online banking with as a result of some worm being planted in his system (Doesn't take a genius to figure out that an E-Mail he got from his relative in SYRIA was the source), this worm has been locking him out of his own banking so that his dodgy brother back in the home country can use it to help launder money from his terrorist operations. Basically, Will Farmer sees that this guy now has over $100,000 in his account. His mate has been hammering onto him to play some fancy online gambling computer game that you can win money from (In actual case an online honeypot used to entice terrorists). Basically, in the course of 10 minutes he is able to kill 100,000 people in the city of Philadelphia.

Apparently this makes him a terrorist... Hurr Durr people, I can play games like that, hell, I do play games like that, it was called F-22 Raptor and I flew a plane around and dropped shit on people, killing large numbers. And though I haven't played it, H.A.W.X looks similar...

Anyways, after playing this game and winning his money, he then goes on his field trip to Montreal to try and play it all cool, but on the way he sees his neighbor being arrested. (Yes, I'm killing the plot for you, and I don't care, shitty movie is shit) This causes him to be late for the flight, his mate gets off the flight to come find him at the terminal and gets nabbed by the guys in suits...

After getting on the flight he spills his guts to a chick he's been cracking on to and she agrees that something is fucked up here (Excuse my french, but this movie has bad french in it to, as I will state in a second) and they agree that the government is after him and he needs to make himself scarce.

After getting off the plane in Montreal, you hear French French on the speakers (Not Canadian French, that sounds different) and you see all the cops around the terminal, including one lingering shot on one airport cop that has an AMERICAN eagle on his cap...yeah, real nice prop guys, that was a smart move...

Anyways, Will splits from the Airport, leaving miss hottie behind to cover his ass. He then later text messages her to meet up with him at the NOTRE DAME cathedral even though he knows that they can track him via his phone and in all likelihood are...so he just told them where he was...this kid is none too bright...

Anyways, he needs to break into the Wi-Fi of an internet cafe that is run by a Canadian Hacker, this is where hotstuff comes in, she goes in and distracts him, in the process spilling her soda on his desk, which he picks up and cleans up. While he walks away from his desk to show her a computer, Will sneaks in, picks up the soda and then using what appears to be a gummy candy, softens it with his warm breath and lifts the guys fingerprint from the soda can and gets past the fingerprint scanner that is locking the computer. A few clicks later and a big flashy GIF appears on screen and tells you "Wireless Open"

Garr, I can't be bothered typing any more...

-Kasterborus

Very shitty movie to say the least.... Looked good until the chick put a "mouse trap" on her myspace page... went downhill from that scene onwards.

EDIT: of course the first was a fairly high-budget flick for the days......

Edited by tekio

Here's something related.

First, this book.

Second, this guy who wrote this movie as well as this one.

He's writing the script apparently. It looks like a really good book, and it'll make a great movie. Wargames and Sneakers were both great, so I have high hopes here.