Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Poetic-Justice

Linux and wireless?

3 posts in this topic

Hey, I guess i've been convinced into using Linux. Im currently just using a boot-up version of KNOPPIX, but when I get time, im going to download Debian and install that. I was just pondering a few questions...

1) Im using a Belkin wireless adaptor for our wireless internet, I have to use their wireless client at the moment, (i've never gotten it to work using the standard windows one), would I be able to use the Belkin wireless adapter with Linux? Would I have to save up for another adaptor?

2) Can you run executables just like in windows? Would you be seriously more limited as to what you can run? Im not doubting Linux, im just curious.

3) Does anyone know a good C/C++ compiler or a Forth compiler which I could use with it, or does Debian already have all of that in it? Im using Dev-C++ at the moment, but apparently its just for windows, so ill have to use something else when I install Debian. I know that KNOPPIX has lots of stuff in it, but id just like to double check.

I thought it would be better to ask all of that in one thread, rather that 3 different ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks anyway, Poetic-Justice

2) Can you run executables just like in windows? Would you be seriously more limited as to what you can run? Im not doubting Linux, im just curious.

Yes, but not Windows executables natively. There are many excellent Linux alternatives to Windows applications. If you still wish to run Photoshop or similar you can emulate the Windows API under linux.

If you still want the safety net of running Windows, dual-boot your PC with a bootloader (offering a choice of Windows/linux/etc when you turn your PC on) or keep Windows installed and run linux in a Virtual PC or Virtual Box (there are a few alternatives too). Virtual environments are great for maintaining multiple OS installs, keeping backups, and generally messing around with linux flavors until you find something you really like.

I hope that helps some :)

1) Im using a Belkin wireless adaptor for our wireless internet, I have to use their wireless client at the moment, (i've never gotten it to work using the standard windows one), would I be able to use the Belkin wireless adapter with Linux? Would I have to save up for another adaptor?

3) Does anyone know a good C/C++ compiler or a Forth compiler which I could use with it, or does Debian already have all of that in it? Im using Dev-C++ at the moment, but apparently its just for windows, so ill have to use something else when I install Debian. I know that KNOPPIX has lots of stuff in it, but id just like to double check.

For #1 that depends on your wireless chipset. In knoppix type as root lspci -v and then you should google how to set up that NIC in Debian.

For #3, it's called GCC. http://gcc.gnu.org/